Thread: Fraley mandolins

Seen a very nice Fraley @ IBMA. Elaborate inlay
    with Brazilian back/sides. Any info on this builder...

Fraley9 on this board used to own one. #He hasn't posted in over a year but you could try sending him a personal message.

Fraley is listed in the builder section of the board. #He lives in Dungannon, VA. #I contacted him about 18 months ago. #At that time his f-styles were going for $3K with a one year wait list.
    <Insert witty saying here>

I've got a Fraley from 1997. I purchased it off ebay last December. I'm pretty pleased with it. Especially after adding an Allen tailpiece and a bridge from Red Henry. I've had another one on order from Mr. Fraley for about 1 1/2 years. He is no youngster and is pretty slow. However, his attention to detail, particularly on inlay is spectacular. Harry West has a real nice one that I am basically having a copy made. Here is a photo of Harry's. Harry doesn't want to sell it, so that is why I ordered one. My new one will have a tree of life on the fingerboard and the peghead will look like the old 3pt. Gibsons. I hope to have it by the end of the year, but I'm not counting on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fraley.jpeg 
Views:	508 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	4474  
    Bud Martin
    http://www.mrbbluegrass.com
    Kimble A5
    Kimble F5
    Gibson F4
    Old Wave F5

The one I played had the same inlay...it was well done.
    It had a really good BG tone with the Brazilian.
    Thanks for the info.

I had one a couple of years ago,mid 90,s fern copy,curly maple on this one,neck a little chunkier than Gibson,good workmanship and sound,sold it around 2k ,new ones are 3k ,John is in his 80's in age.
    Danny Clark

Default Re: Fraley mandolins

Quote Originally Posted by bud View Post
    I've got a Fraley from 1997. I purchased it off ebay last December. I'm pretty pleased with it. Especially after adding an Allen tailpiece and a bridge from Red Henry. I've had another one on order from Mr. Fraley for about 1 1/2 years. He is no youngster and is pretty slow. However, his attention to detail, particularly on inlay is spectacular. Harry West has a real nice one that I am basically having a copy made. Here is a photo of Harry's. Harry doesn't want to sell it, so that is why I ordered one. My new one will have a tree of life on the fingerboard and the peghead will look like the old 3pt. Gibsons. I hope to have it by the end of the year, but I'm not counting on it.
    Old post... but I have a question on the value of a Fraley f5? what are they worth today? One has just come up for sale local....
    '96 Flatiron f-5 Festival, '23 Gibson F2, '36-43 Kalamazoo Army/Navy A, Micheal Kelly Octave.

Default Re: Fraley mandolins

Sorry for the long delay. I never get on here anymore. I sold that Fraley for around $2200 I would say now they would go $2500-3000. Never got the one I ordered. He just stopped making them, then he passed away.
    Bud Martin
    http://www.mrbbluegrass.com
    Kimble A5
    Kimble F5
    Gibson F4
    Old Wave F5