Thread: Cigar Box Mando Plans

Default Cigar Box Mando Plans

I just acquired several nice wooden cigar boxes of various sizes. I'm interested in trying to turn one into a mandolin. Looking around the internet I can find plans and kits to build cigar box guitars and ukuleles but not mandolins. There are youtube videos of people playing cigar box mandolins and a few people sell them but I'm not finding instructions on how to build one.

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
    Steve McI

Default Re: Cigar Box Mando Plans

Do you want a neck-through instrument or do you want to add a neck block and attach the neck more like a conventional instrument? Once you decide that just make some modifications to a cigar box ukulele or guitar plan that has the type neck you want.
    Bill Snyder

I have a neck off of a mando banjo that I want to use on a wooden cigar box that I have. I will probably reinforce the inside with either a neck block or a neck rod like used on banjos. I still need to apply a fingerboard to the neck. Ukulele necks attached to cigar boxes have so much less tension than the steel stringed options.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Cigar Box Nation... it is a start.

Also, I recall quite a few people on The Musical Instrument Makers Forum have made cigar box and cookie tin instruments.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1