Thread: Summit mandolins

Default Summit mandolins

Anybody know anything about Summit Mandolins built by Joe Schneider? Are they loud? What do they compare to? Good lows? mids? Highs?

Thanks.

Todd
    Todd

Default Re: Summit mandolins

The builder is Paul Schneider, and his mandolins are very nice.

A friend of mine has a Summit F-5 style "Artist" Mandolin & it's as close to my Weber Fern in all things, that in a blind listening test we couldn't tell which was which. As i regard my Weber Fern as one of the best Mandolins i've played & heard ,& considering that the Summit instruments aren't as expensive as the Weber,i think that they represent very good value & build quality. My friend's Summit is loud & evenly tempered across the strings ie.the trebles are as loud as the bass. The intonation is excellent even above the 12th fret.
    If you're thinking of buying one,or any Mandolin for that matter,do try to play it before you buy,although i have to say that re.my Fern,i bought blind knowing the reputation of my dealer & the quality of Weber instruments - i wasn't disappointed in either. Great service & a wonderful instrument,i hope you get the same,
    Ivan
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Paul Schneider formerly worked for Flatiron (pre-Gibson years) and likely worked on the mandolins that had Carlson's signature. I'd bet they are great mandolins, but have never played one. I just love my '84 Flatiron.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Gruhns had a couple last year very nice.
    Craig

there is a comparison of a collings and a summit mandolin on youtube:

Paul builds a great mandolin. I've own one for 8-9 years now and love the way it plays and sounds.
    There are a few at Gruhn's right now.
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

Thanks, folks. I hope to see one of the two they have at Gruhn's soon.

Would you guys say they are as good as a new Gibson? What would you think is better in that price range? Would it be the last mandolin I ever had to buy? Is it stage worthy?

Thanks.
    Todd

Quote - "Would you guys say they are as good as a new Gibson?" - Which new Gibson ?. Gibson have quite a few models,& realistically,why should a Summit not sound 'better' (to you personally) than a 'new Gibson' ?. I've not played many Gibsons (4 in fact) & only one came close to my Weber Fern. The owner of that 'Bruce Weber signed' Gibson,would hardly let me have my Weber back when we swapped instruments.
    You need to play a few different Mandolins to listen to them, so that you can decide exactly what you want. We all have our own views on what's the 'best' & our opinions are just that, 'our opinions'. We could all recommend a Gibson 'Jam Master' Mandolin to you,you could play one & maybe hate it. On the other hand ........,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Ivan,

We have played several mandolins. I definitely plan on playing the Summit. I was just trying to find out which category (beginner, intermediate, upper end) it would be in. Quality wise, how would it answer the questions I asked.

But, I fully agree with you that tastes are different and several need to be tried out.

Thanks again for the input!!

God bless.
    Todd

The Summit, whichever one that could speak to you, could be your last mandolin. Quality is good, fit and finish, sound, the total package. He does use some different wood, bracing and finish within the models so play what you can and find what you like.
    If your going to Gruhn, you are close enough to drive a little further and even pay him a visit at his shop/home, he lives in Hartsville, TN.
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

Todd - Certainly make all the comparisons that you wish to make, within your own price bracket. If you begin making comparisons with mega-buck instruments,you could end up being very disatisfied with anything less. A bit like being able to afford a Ford car,but first off, taking a spin in a Ferrari. The Ford would seem very mundane after that. I'm very aware of the fact that if i get to Nashville again & take a peek at George Gruhn's goodies,if i start of playing Gibson MM's & Gils. etc.,it's the first step (maybe) on a very financially slippery slope & the seeds of disatisfaction with my own instruments would be sown. Sometimes ignorance isn't bliss,just sensible (IMHO). I want to enjoy my instruments,not spend my time bemoaning the fact that the $25,000 MM can't be mine. ''Been there''/''done that''' (in the past).
    Quality wise the Summits i've seen are first class all round. John doesn't seem to have a 'beginner' model,only a 'least expensive' one,again made to high standards,
    Good luck in your search - Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I have played a number of Summits at Gruhns. The fit and finish is solid. Playability nice. Never wrung my bell though and not sure why.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Well, got a Summit F100S today from the Cafe classifieds. Great mandolin!! Great workmanship. Outstanding tone. And the volume - man!! It may keep up with the banjo!!! Thanks for all the help.
    Todd

Okay, I'm with you fellas tburcham's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wtbryant View Post
    Thanks, folks. I hope to see one of the two they have at Gruhn's soon.

Would you guys say they are as good as a new Gibson? What would you think is better in that price range? Would it be the last mandolin I ever had to buy? Is it stage worthy?

Thanks.
    Yes they are good...will they retain value like a Gibson...probably not
    Better is a matter of what you like in a mandolin...the Summit's I've played have all been very good to great
    That depends on your resistance to the MAS disease...are they good enough to be your last...yes
    Stage worthy has more to do with the player than the instrument....but Summit's are certainly up to the tasks if you've got the skills
    Tim Burcham
    Northfield Big Mon (Red Spruce/Red Maple)
    Gibson F-9 Custom
    1942 Strad-O-Lin
    1948-54 Gibson LG-3
    2011 Gibson J-45 True Vintage
    2017 Martin HD-28 VTS Custom Shop
    Bailey Mandolin Straps (NFI)
    Bell Arm-rests (NFI)

Well done Todd,i'm really pleased for you.They are terrific Mandolins in all respects,just enjoy it ,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.