Thread: Old Hickory and Hondo

Smile Old Hickory and Hondo

Greetings.

First time to post, been lurking for a bit.

Here are my two mandolins:

The Old Hickory on the left was loaned to me by an old school mate. It was her first mandolin and had moved to a nicer f-style.

The 1970's Hondo on the right is a gift from my mom for my birthday. She found it in a pawn shop in Indiana and probably paid too much for it, but as it is a gift, I am going to do my best to make it playable. It needs new strings and to be tuned up by someone more familiar with mando mechanics than I am. In it's current state, it seems to play well enough.

Mandolin is one of many instruments that invaded my life this past two years. I only know a few chords and my strumming technique is subpar, but I am having fun with what I am learning. My two biggest obstacles are lack of time, and adjusting to such a tiny fret board. Trying to finger the D7 has proven quite difficult for me.

I have not made the jump to in-person instruction, as I am not sure if Mandolin will ultimately make the instrument cut.

Default Re: Old Hickory and Hondo

Don't let your choice to proceed or not be based on your experience with these two instruments. If they are set up well they may be ok but if not you need to try to find a decent quality instrument that is SET UP well first. It could make a big difference in your ability to play.
    You don't need high priced instruments (I don't own one) but they do need to have good playability. String height comfortable (action), no buzzing, good strings, etc....
    They do look good.
    Bill Snyder

I enjoy playing them. I like the sound of them both. My problem is I just cannot decide which instruments to make the priority! With the bluegrass group I practice with, I am sometimes on bass, sometimes on fiddle, sometimes on banjo, and sometimes strum along on the mandolin. Oh, the harmonicas. I even took a kazoo to practice one time.
    Chad Wilson

1970's Hondo mandolin

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Cafe! Neither are terribly expensive instruments though they can do the job required. I hope you can get them strung up and to their best before you make the final cut. D'Addario J74 strings will work well on both of those instruments and you can see a good stringing clinic at Frets.com.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by caeman View Post
    I enjoy playing them. I like the sound of them both. My problem is I just cannot decide which instruments to make the priority! With the bluegrass group I practice with, I am sometimes on bass, sometimes on fiddle, sometimes on banjo, and sometimes strum along on the mandolin. Oh, the harmonicas. I even took a kazoo to practice one time.
    Well it kind of depends on your musical goals. I would say, and others would probably back me up, that if you always want work keep at that bass.

I was thinking though, that if you are playing some fiddle, its not a stretch to do some melody on that mandolin. Thats what made it addictive for me, playing melody and tremolo with double stop harmonies. The mandolin is sooooooooo much more than a small guitar for strumming.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Welcome. Love the Hondo!
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

If you keep playing, and eventually form a band you already have a great band name... "Old Hickory and Hondo"! It's got a nice ring to it :-)
    "Ancora lmparo", said Michelangelo when he was in his 80's (I am still learning)

It does have a ring to it.

Somewhat related, here is a pic of a Balalaika a friend gave me to challenge me with.

It, also, is in dire need of new strings. The age of it is unknown.
    Chad Wilson

1970's Hondo mandolin