Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cases???? give me some ideas

Default cases???? give me some ideas

I need a new case. I have a travelite case but I hate the zipper and I think I would feel better with a hardshell. Got a lot of dough wrapped up in a new mando and want to protect it. I am going to look into Colorado Case and Calton but are there other suggestions.

Default Re: cases???? give me some ideas

Pegasus.

Those sure are nice... Man the Caltons are expensive. I did not see a price on the Peg site but imagine they are a lot as well. Anyone try the eastman fiberglass case?

Blog Entries

I have an Eastman and like it. Pros- inexpensive ~$125, shaped, looks cool, easy for stickers, D rings for backpack carrying with extra straps. Cons - NOT A FLIGHT CASE, no storage, won't hold short neck (e.g, old oval hole or eve the Eastman oval hole) instruments.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

i recently got myself an ACCESS Stage III rectangular case for my oddball Epi BG 440. it's an oval holed A with two pointy florentine cutaways. fits perfectly and when i travel w my old funky KAY two point....it fits in there as well.

it will also nicely accomodate A and f styles.

nothing too fancy but good storage and comfy handle...they go far around $130
    just groove, baby!

I still need your string labels!

What is it that you don't like re.the Travelite zipper - is it the 'stickability' ? . I didn't like mine at first,but i simply lubricated it with liquid PTFE - it now zips & un-zips at warp speed !. Mike Marshall feels ok using a Travelite for his Loar,so i reason that my Lebeda should be fine in one.
    Prior to getting my Travelite,i did look at the Eastman shaped cases.They are beautifully made,but there's not even room for a decent strap inside,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

It is two things about the travelite. The zipper just feels odd to me I guess I miss setting it down and unbuckling. The second is that it just feels so light that it is a little hard to comprehend the strength. I guess I am just missing the bulk of a hard case.

I have looked around some and now starting to think I should just stay with it. Like said before. Travelite seems to work for Mike M. The cost and bulkiness of the pegasus and caltons make them unattractive to me. I am going to fly with the mando but always plan on over heading and carrying on. It does fit well in the travelite and I am starting to realize that is the most important.

Destroyer of Mandolins

Hi, and welcome Chubby,

What do you need the case to really do? Are you going to travel a lot? Will you travel by air? Are you part of a touring band? There are a number of top-shelf cases that have been mentioned, but is that what you're after? In reality, many of the folks that own Caltons and such really don't need that much protection. Heck, I know one friend who keeps his expensive mandolin in one but it never even leaves the house. Sometimes a decent but inexpensive case is all you really need.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

I have this one for my Eastman, which came in a nice case, but it takes too long to open and close:

http://www.themandolinstore.com/scri...idproduct=7701

Not a high line case for sure, but it protects for everyday use.
    Jim D

I too don't like the idea of a zipper - I hear what Ivan and others say but zippers can fail and usually at the most inappropriate moment. If they do, there is little you can do to keep the case closed unlike one with normal fastenings.

As for alternatives, there seems to be a deal of bad press going round re US made Calton cases. Have you thought of one of the original UK made ones? Keith Calton has been custom making cases in the UK since the mid 70's and his prices aren't as high as you might think. I paid £199 for a custom made case just over 18 months ago (today approx. $300) which included UK tax @ 17.5% and shipping. Whether Keith would be prepared to ship to the US you'd have to ask him. Presumably the shipping would be higher and you'd have to pay whatever tax you'd have to in the US. I would add that the case was built and delivered on time.

I'm sure there are others in the US who would like to explore this option! - http://www.caltoncases.co.uk/index.html

Okay, I'm with you fellas tburcham's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Bobelock fiberglass (Model 1029 arrow shaped) includes padded cover with large zippered compartment in the cover and shoulder strap. Very well made $225 from various retailers.
    Tim Burcham
    Northfield Big Mon (Red Spruce/Red Maple)
    Gibson F-9 Custom
    1942 Strad-O-Lin
    1948-54 Gibson LG-3
    2011 Gibson J-45 True Vintage
    2017 Martin HD-28 VTS Custom Shop
    Bailey Mandolin Straps (NFI)
    Bell Arm-rests (NFI)

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post

As for alternatives, there seems to be a deal of bad press going round re US made Calton cases.
    I'm sure there are others in the US who would like to explore this option! - http://www.caltoncases.co.uk/index.html
    I
    There are no U.S. made Calton cases. They are made in Canada and there are no quality issues. There are service issues that have arisen since they changed facilities.

John Paganoni's replica Gibson Lloyd Loar era case sure is nice. (I have no financial interests or connections just seen one of them and think they look great)

I have really enjoyed and trusted my Randy Wood F5 in its Calton case.

Quote from chubbyP - "I am just missing the bulk of a hard case." - There speaks a man with no back pain. If you want bulk,i have a case that'll suit you down to the ground,the ground you'd shortly be resting in if you carried it around too much,my Weber rectangular case, weighing in at a mere 13 lbs.
    As long as you can't compress the case from the top / bottom or from the sides,then what's the problem ?. The Calton cases are fine if you feel that you need one. And Ray " but zippers can fail ",how many pairs of pants do you have with fly buttons ??,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by tburcham View Post
    Bobelock fiberglass (Model 1029 arrow shaped) includes padded cover with large zippered compartment in the cover and shoulder strap. Very well made $225 from various retailers.
    That case looks pretty nice but man the only dealers are violin shops. Not sure where I cold actually see one.

Quote Originally Posted by chubby pickins View Post
    That case looks pretty nice but man the only dealers are violin shops. Not sure where I cold actually see one.
    Gianna Violins--which is actually a great place to buy mandolins--can order them.

http://www.giannaviolins.com/Accesso...olincases.html

http://www.bobelock.com/mandolinCase...iberglass.html

I bought my Eastman fiberglass case from Steve and Gianna Perry, and despite the lack of a storage compartment, this is a great case for taking on a trip. It is light and compact, easy to carry with the handle, shoulder strap or backpack straps, it easily fit in the overhead compartment or under the seat, and I found myself smiling every time it got bumped because I knew it was protecting my mandolin.

-Josh

Blog Entries

I've been looking at the Concord case from Elderly lately. Price is a little steep at $275 but it looks like a nice case.

I've had many:

Calton, gone, to much for what little travel I do
    Travelight, nice case still have it use it when I have to walk long distances
    Bobelock, (arrow) gone, sold with a mando, nice case didn't like the top which seemed to compress and there was little room inside for anything cept a tuner
    Bobelock, with the cover, gone good case good protection a lot of storage but sold with a mandolin. One problem i had? my then 2 year old got to a pen and wrote on the fabric cover...... not the cases fault but my own
    TKL Rec tweed, still have it. Good case, know a lot of people who use them good storage and proteciton . Ive heard people think these offer much protection and do well over time, we'll see.
    Weber Rec, HUGE HEAVY....nuff said
    Eastman shaped case, sold immediately. flimsy IMHO

Since the TKL which is really a Canadian case is my daily user I do like it. I tend to be a pack rat and put a lot of "stuff" in it. But you have to get the mandolin out if you want to access the compartment. Not a huge problem but sometimes it gets to me.....So the Concord may be in my future.

I often wonder if there's a huge difference between the Bobelock and Concord in quality???

Quote Originally Posted by chubby pickins View Post
    ... I am going to fly with the mando but always plan on over heading and carrying on. It does fit well in the travelite and I am starting to realize that is the most important.
    Plan for the worst and hope for the best. Would you want to check that mandolin if you had to? Are you willing to get off the plane if you have to check it? I keep hearing people say they've never had a problem flying with a mandolin and that's great but never assume it won't happen. That Travelite is fine for carrying around a festival but I'd never want anyone to throw it in a cargo bay. You can stand on a Calton, you can't do that with a Travelite. I'd be happier with one of the fitted hardshell cases checked than I would with any of the light cases and they will fit in an overhead as well. Keep in mind that the flight attendants are going to jam as much luggage into those overheads as they can. I always find it amusing when people get on a plane and put their fragile item overhead and shut the door, only to have the attendants or other passengers open it up and jam in their suitcases. You only own as much of the overhead as what you put in that can't be compressed.

For a quick reference on different carrier size limitations: www.luggageonline.com/about_airlines.cfm http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1235.shtm suggest you contact your carriers to confirm the ability to carry on your instrument. There is also a document from The American Federation of musicians dated Jan. 17 2003 that may help if the problem isn't about dimensions of the case but like Mike pointed out there is no guaranty that you will be allowed to carry on.

Big Travelite fan.

Great all around case !! I purchased mine 5 years ago for 40 bucks.
    It has a latch (cheap but it works if your careful)
    The zipper works fine and should it fail a backup velcro strap is provided to get you home.
    Lots of storage picks,tuner,recorder and strap no problem.
    It's not a travel case but is very well made lightweight and protective.
    Frankly I find it hard to believe that the zipper is an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    " but zippers can fail "[/I],how many pairs of pants do you have with fly buttons ??,
    ....and they do but you can't buy pants with latches. Actually, you've almost answered your own question, Ivan. I, and I assume you, have several pairs which I/you can fall back on or I/you can go out and buy another pair if the zipper fails. How many spare cases do you have and how easily could you get another?
    Ray

Here's another thought for our engineering types out there.
    I would think that an instrument would be more protected in a softer all foam shelled case like a Travelite rather than in a Bobelock (http://www.bobelock.com/mandolinCase...iberglass.html) or a Eastman case with a hard shell and just a little foam.
    When it comes to impact the all foam case (Travelite) would absorb the energy of the impact by distorting the foam rather than just transferring that impact energy to a thinner insert of foam found in the cheaper hard shell cases like Bobelock or Eastman. (Thinking along the line of crumple zones in automobiles)

Faulty logic. I've made this offer before. I'll let you stand on my Calton case, provided you're no heavier than I am with my mandolin in the case if you'll let me stand on your travelite with your mandolin in the case, provided it's worth as much as mine. One of us will still have a mandolin when we are done. Shock isn't the only issue in a cargo hold.

I was not specific enough. I was only thinking about what would be a better and more protective case for the lower mid-range mandolin owner who's not going to fly but needs good reliable protection that doesn't cost half as much as the instrument. Would a hard shell $200.00 ish cheapie or an all foam $60.00 ish cheapie offer more protection keeping in mind the physics of a impact like getting dropped off a kitchen table while I'm getting my coat on type scenario.