Thread: string buzz

Question string buzz

Besides the usual causes of buzzing strings it is also true that a new mandolin might buzz more if the strings are new and the frets are new? It seems as if the buzzing is coming from my fingers not keeping the stings in place tight enough, but I dont have this problem with my other mandolin.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence." ~Leopold Stokowski

Default Re: string buzz

I had a little trouble with my Weber when new. Lighter guage strings and lowered the action. Cleaner sound when I play it now.

Newly dressed frets should give a cleaner tone, but new strings will do this.
    Action higher than you are used to may be at play as well.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Thanx guys
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence." ~Leopold Stokowski

As someone who just changed his strings today, I can tell ye they rattle like a tin o' bees.