Thread: Nigel Forster cittern (25.5"scale), camatillo bs, european spruce

Default Nigel Forster cittern (25.5"scale), camatillo bs, european spruce

Through one of those unforeseen but much appreciated series of life events I was able to give grateful custody to one of Nigel Forster's http://nkforsterguitars.com instruments, this 2007 cittern build:

Camatillo rosewood back and sides, gorgeous stripey European spruce top, old seasoned mahogany neck, soundport, Gotoh tuners, and all other kinds of cool stuff. I have it tuned presently mostly CDGDAE, a new tuning for me in true fifths permitting all kinds of maneuvers including use of a capo at the 7th to get a more-than-passable GDAEB and mandolin fingerings (with some retuning for that lower course going sharp).

What a splendid, world-class instrument, that certainly justifies the sales of the very good members of my small stable that I had to let go to get it. Nigel has been kind and responsive, even though I did not buy the instrument from him, and my sense of him as passionate and capable has been confirmed over and over in our interactions and of course each time I play this cittern... THANKS, Nigel.

Here's a YouTube review:

As I said, off to practice!

Happy picking,

Mark

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Nigel Forster cittern (25.5"scale), camatillo bs, european sp

Outstanding instrument!
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

Wow!!!.....Incredible instrument Mark. When my ship comes in.... my Cittern choices would be Forester or Nyberg...and you're packin both of them. Enjoy Dale Whitty

Mark,
    Beautiful cittern with a rich voice. Looks like this one's a keeper. Thanks for sharing your latest catch.

Thanks, folks, for your kind words. I'm sure that Nigel will appreciate them. He does MARVELOUS work, showing every sign of both his apprenticeship and mastery.

Alas, Dale, I no longer have the Nyberg...it was a sweet one as well. The 23.5" scale was just a bit redundant with another instrument or two of mine so it found a new and happy home.

And Steve, thanks as always for your encouragement. We surely share a common fondness for these beautiful instruments.

MK

Wow, Mark, congratulations on your beautiful cittern! What a gorgeous instrument. I've played one of Nigel's mandolins, so can imagine the feel and quality of that instrument magnified to the size of your cittern. In terms of size and scale length, that cittern looks very similar to the Manson blarge which I owned for a while, and the tone is very similar - rich, deep and lush. I wish you lots of happy picking with that beauty!

Fliss

Just saw that Mark has this lovely cittern up for sale at Dream Guitars:

http://www.dreamguitars.com/detail.php?id=2525

Would make a nice catch for someone! NFI

Alas, with no longer playing much Irish music it didn't make sense to have such an instrument...hope it finds a very happy new home.

All the best, and happy playing to you, Steve,

Mark