Thread: Kent A style Mandolin?

Registered User Bob Scrutchfield's Avatar

Post Kent A style Mandolin?

I came across a Kent A syle Mando for sale for about $75.00 and was wondering if anyone has any information on these. Seems like I had read somewhere that these were made in Japan or Korea in the 60s-70s and were a budget mandolin sold by JC Pennys. It's in OK shape with some nicks and bumps and I can tell it hasn't been played in some time. I was going to try my hand at refinishing it and just use it for something to take with me in the car. It's missing G and D strings and one E so I can't really tell much about the sound. I assume it is made from laminate woods.

Thanks in advance for any information :-)

Default Re: Kent A style Mandolin?

It's most likely the same as a large number of imported mandolins from the era, it's easier if you can post a picture. I would assume it was laminated.

Some info on Kent from the Hagstrom Guitar site:

The Kent Branded instruments were extensively produced in Korea and Japan circa 1960’s. The was no Kent Guitar company, it was a distribution brand for the USA. Distributed in the US by Distributors in New York, Texas, North Carolina and Massachusetts. Kent was a trademark used on a full line of acoustic and solid body electric guitars, banjos and mandolins imported into the US and Canadian markets in the 60’s - but NOT MADE BY HAGSTROM. Some of the early Kent guitars (all types) were made in Japan by either Teisco or Guyatone, at this time entry level models. After this, Hagstrom produced versions of their Solid Electric Hagstrom I, II and III and Electric Bass guitars as Kents also just for the US market, as: 1) a way to get into the market with a brand that was heard of in the US, and 2) a way for the Kent brand to make a quality leap in an increasingly discerning market. Hagstrom ceased to produce under the Kent brand presumably because they became popular under their own name! I have no other info on Kent, beyond the old “David Bowie once played a Kent Guitar” – now that one WAS a Hagstrom!

Seems that "Kent" was a distributor/retailer nameplate that was put on a variety of imported instruments. A pic might link your mandolin to another line of imports.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Registered User Bob Scrutchfield's Avatar

Allen and Mike,
    Thanks for the reply and the information on the Kent mandolin. I'll try to get a picture of it up on here.

Bob

Ah, yes, my first mando was a Kent that I had for years. Eventually traded it for a 1925 Vega Style K banjo mandolin. I wish I still had the Vega.
    2020 Custom Weber Yellowstone F-20-F octave mandolin
    2019 Weber Yellowstone F-17 mandola
    2019 Custom Weber Diamondback F14-F
    2018 Custom Weber Yellowstone F14-0
    2016 Weber Octar

www.webermandolins.com/mandolin-artists/michael-eck