Thread: Eastman Bacon DG2

Default Eastman Bacon DG2

I am curious if there are any reviews of this instrument? I am also curious if any have played the original Bacon. How close are they in tone? To me, the DG2 is a very cool looking instrument and I would just like to know more about them.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Default Re: Eastman Bacon DG2

I like mine (if that's a "review"). I have the later issue with the standard Eastman tailpiece, not the Bacon replica that the first DGM-2's apparently had. Fairly short scale (14 inches), nice figured maple back & sides, "violin edge" overhang nicely bound, classy sunburst shading. Neck is a deep, rounded "V"; flat fingerboard, small frets. The ebony pickguard is a sweet touch. Only oddity is that mine came with "reverse" tuners, so you turn clockwise to tighten the string. I find this a charming idiosyncrasy rather than a pain in the rear end. It's probably more of a old-time/Celtic/folk instrument than bluegrass; at least that's how I'm using it. Puts out plenty of volume, but a "round" rather than a "cutting" tone.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Fairly short scale (14 inches)...
    Doesn't that make it a tad on the long side?

Quote Originally Posted by jefflester View Post
    Doesn't that make it a tad on the long side?
    You know, you're right. Just pulled out my DGM-1, F-5, and F-2, and the scale lengths were all within about 1/8" of each other. Guess I've just been playing enough OM and mandola recently to make the scales seem shorter. Also, the large DGM-2 body may make the scale seem short.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I just bought the DGM2 from the classifieds. That Bacon look and the discription of the warm tone just grabbed me in a big way. Allen thank you for the heads up on the reverse tuners. They are a big pain in the tush for me. I will be taking the DGM2 into Cotten Music in Nashville to look into getting non-reverse tuners, not just turning them around.
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

I saw that one dealer sold a DGM2 for half price due to having the original tailpiece. I am curious. Was there a problem with that tailpiece?
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Blog Entries

Tony, IIRC Sean (formerly with Eastman) stated the original style tailpiece really snagged peoples sleeves. Thus they went with the Eastman tailpiece for production runs too. That earlier version had (again IIRC) the Eastman oval hole rosette while the new ones have the purfling. I'm jealous of you for getting one of these.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Jamie, the one I got has the Eastman rosette, but with the Eastman Tail piece. Maybe a hybrid. Would purfling be the inlaid oval like you would see on a Martin guitar, for example?
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Blog Entries

Tony, Delsbrother's link is the one I was commenting on as the final production model. Yours might be a 2nd gen prototype. Still a great looking mandolin.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I have to say I prefer the purfling. (I typed that last statement before I looked at the classifieds still thinking mine had the rosette) I just looked at the ad and realized that one I bought has the purfling. I guess I just kept looking at the DGM2 at dealers on the web and most had the Eastman Rosette. Either way, I am pleased. It might come today, but then I have to let it sit for 12 - 24 hours. Oh the misery.
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

After letting it sit in the package for 16 hours (I was overly cautious given the bad weather and long distance from Wash. State) I got a chance to put the Dawg II through some paces. Very impressed. Has a sound of its own. Not sure whether due to the unusual shape, large size body. the violin type binding or all of the above. The sound is bright but round and full. More buttery than the other Eastmans I have played. Very refined but a round full sound. Not at all tubby like the Gibbys. Plays very easily except the short neck and like my Gibby 22 can be a bit constraining. Overall, I would say this is a fine instrument and a plenty of instrument for the price. I just love the look. Just make me want to hug it. Later today, when I have a little time, I will post some pics in the pic section. After having is about a month I will provide a more full review. I found the instrument to seem pretty openned up in sound, but maybe that observation will change after a month of hard playing.
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

I'm curious how the last poster thinks it sounds a few months later. I just got mine last week, and agree with all the positives above. I should also say that it's the easiest thing I've ever played. I'm kind of slow and clumsy, so this is a real plus. I feel like I'm playing an electric guitar. I don't mute by accident on this thing, and I slide more fluidly than I ever have. It's really fun. It doesn't have quite as rich a tone as my Silver Angel, in spite of the remarkable sustain and good bass, but maybe that's cause it's so new.

I really enjoyed the sound and the play. Due to the large body it has a deeper richer sound than most Eastmans I have heard. It plays very easily. I was surprised to find that it did not open up much, but was pretty open when I got it. You may notice that it is not on my list anymore. I on consignment for sale at Big Joe's. I simply had too many instruments.
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Having been lucky enough to own both an original Bacon Artist and Bacon Professional, I would certainly love to get my hands on one of these DG2s to compare. Never could get my hands on the lowliest (and perhaps ill-named?) member of the family, the "Bacon Amateur."

My two Bacons have now moved on to another home as part of my vintage instrument "catch-and-release" policy, but here's a picture of the pair for kicks.

-Chris

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bacon.lo.jpg 
Views:	569 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	60243

Wow, those are lovely! Any MP3s hanging around?

Chris, thank you for the pictures. I love the original tail peices. They are simply lovely. Eastman did a pretty solid job. I would also love to hear those lovelies.
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

You can see more of the photo(s) posted by delsbrother here;
    http://www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk/...mandolins.html
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

By the way, if anyone interested in the Eastman is reading this post, I have discovered that the tonal range is remarkable depending on where you're picking. This is true with any stringed instrument, of course, but there's something about the body, I guess, that allows the DG2 an additional bassy, almost mandola like tone when picked up above the soundhole. It's more a more pronounced difference than with other mandos I've played.

That is the bass that I referred to in a past post. The body is large and resonates. You are right. The DG2 is a different beast.
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172