Thread: Nut width & string spacing for classical play

Default Nut width & string spacing for classical play

After doing a fair amount research here on the forums and on Google on the topic of mandolin string spacing, I thought I'd post a request for feedback here to get the opinions of folks far more experienced than me on the subject.

I'm relatively new to the mandolin (started lessons in 2008) and own a beginner level Kentucky KM-172 oval hole. From the beginning I've had the problem of my fingertips brushing adjacent strings when holding a note. I hoped that with time I would get better at positioning/etc such that the problem would go away, but it hasn't. I don't have fat fingers, but the problem exists just the same, and at this point I've had it with perpetually playing muffled notes because of fingers touching adjacent strings.

From older threads, I've found that many folks have an outside-to-outside string spacing of about 1", or 25.4mm. I measured my mandolin, and here are the figures:

Nut width: 1 1/16" (or just under 28mm)
    String spacing (outside-to-outside): 29/32" (or ~ 23mm)

(pics below)

It seems this narrower spacing might be part of the reason I'm perpetually brushing adjacent strings. I don't have the funds to purchase a higher end mandolin at the moment, so am stuck with the one I have. I'd like to get a new nut put in there to spread those strings out a bit, but first wanted to get feedback from the forum as to the current spacing and any suggestions for what to set it to. I figure with that 28mm nut width that I might not be able to get to the full 25.4mm (or 1") string spacing; but is there also the possibility of narrowing the spread between pairs of strings? Would that help? Just as a note, I primarily play classical style (don't know if spacing should be different compared to bluegrass, but just thought I'd mention it).

Again my goal is to get rid of this problem of muffling other strings, so any advice/suggestions/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

-Erik

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MandoINCH_1..jpg 
Views:	843 
Size:	341.4 KB 
ID:	60430 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MandoMM_2..jpg 
Views:	929 
Size:	317.1 KB 
ID:	60431

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MandoINCH_2..jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	308.5 KB 
ID:	60432 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MandoMM_1..jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	301.2 KB 
ID:	60433

Default Re: Nut width & string spacing for classical play

I have a student right now with a Kentucky 100 or so model mandolin. The string spacing is much less than my personal mandolin (haven't measured) and he's found it much easier to finger the notes on my mandolin than his own. I've played his a little and find it difficult to really nail single notes. My nut comes in just shy of 1 3/16, the string spacing is right at 1". I find it preferable. You probably ought to go to a store with your ruler and find a spacing/nut combination that works for you, then decide if you want to get the nut re-done. Have a good talk with whoever will do the work about if your ideal situation is even feasible and if the price would be worth it to you.

There's no rule, there's no right or wrong. Your string spacing is constricted for the width of your board alright, and could be widened safely. But your entire neck is rather narrow too.

In another day and age, people wouldn't have had the luxury of worrying about details like this. They'd learn to adapt to the instrument they could get. If it had a narrow neck, or narrow string spacing, they'd adapt their technique to make it work. You, however, do have options they didn't have. You could spread the courses out closer to the edge, no question. You could also look for a mandolin with a wider neck. You have options, most of which require action. That's one crude-looking nut, btw. A good luthier could work wonders with it.

ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

If you think you could fit it yourself, I'll make you a new nut for a few euros and send it to you....... but I would need some fairly detailed measurements.... Dave
    No such thing as a dead mandolin!

www.mandolinluthier.com
    www.crumbles.info
    Facebook: search Dave Hynds ... its me with the mandolin!!