Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just bought a Bose

Destroyer of Mandolins

Default Just bought a Bose

Just pushed the button on a Bose L-1 compact. Hope to use it for the smaller jobs we do. I'll let you know what I think of it in a while.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Default Re: Just bought a Bose

lookin forward to the review

We love ours. We use it with a single condenser mic in our duo and it's just great.
    2020 Custom Weber Yellowstone F-20-F octave mandolin
    2019 Weber Yellowstone F-17 mandola
    2019 Custom Weber Diamondback F14-F
    2018 Custom Weber Yellowstone F14-0
    2016 Weber Octar

www.webermandolins.com/mandolin-artists/michael-eck

We just got to try out our new Bose L1 model 2 Tower w/tone match engine and one single bass at a gig last Sat.. We used one KSM44 Shure mic and another Sure mic a little higher for vocals. I gotta tell you, we love everything about it. In my OT band we have 2 fiddles, mandolin, clawhammer banjer, guitar & upright bass. It worked perfectly for us and was so easy to carry in and setup. Very light for a PA system but does the job very well.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Destroyer of Mandolins

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Eck View Post
    We love ours. We use it with a single condenser mic in our duo and it's just great.
    Micheal, are you using the Compact model? I'm going to patch in a Soundcraft six channel mixer for two vocal mics and two instruments with pickups. We've recently contracted two new weekly venues that seat about 50-75 people in relatively quiet restaurant conditions. I think this will do well for us, since it's pretty tight quarters and there's too little room for even our 'small' traditional PA. Wish us luck.

P.S. Thanks to all those here who have talked about the Bose systems, and especially to Jim_n_Virginia for all his help off-line.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

I wish we had the compact model. We're using the first generation L-I, which, as portable as it is, has a much larger base. Also, we only use the sub-woofer on about 25 percent of our dates. Usually the single stick is fine for the venues we're at, ranging from 30-125 people.
    2020 Custom Weber Yellowstone F-20-F octave mandolin
    2019 Weber Yellowstone F-17 mandola
    2019 Custom Weber Diamondback F14-F
    2018 Custom Weber Yellowstone F14-0
    2016 Weber Octar

www.webermandolins.com/mandolin-artists/michael-eck

Destroyer of Mandolins

Thanks for that, Michael. Just to clarify, I bought the newest model. There are three of these things out now: The original version I that has the big, half-moon base, the version II with the smaller base and folding legs, and the new compact that has the bass speakers in the power unit and the tower that extends from it. The compact is only 250 watts (as opposed to 500 watts for the two big models), but we've been doing these small venues with a 180 watt Behringer powered mixer and a pair of 10" speakers on tripods. Since we only run that with the main volume at 9 O'clock, the 250 watt Bose should be fine for us.

I only got to see a Bose once live. It was the original Model I and was in one of our own normal venues (we showed up on the wrong night!). The guy using it in that room had it turned down to a bare whisper and it was still too loud for the room. That's why I figure the smaller 250 watt unit will work fine for us. He let me come up and do a couple of tunes through it, and I was very impressed with the sound.

This is the one I ordered:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...tem?sku=581917
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

This is the one we got but with the tone match engine...

http://www.amazon.com/Bose-L1-Model-.../dp/B000RBEYQ8
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Destroyer of Mandolins

That will be the one I get for the larger jobs if this all works out to plan. We're not playing the bigger rooms and outdoor venues too often anymore. Probably 95% of our work is now in smaller venues, so I'll probably just stow our bigger traditional PA and bring it out for those occasions. Mostly though, I'm looking forward to not carrying so much stuff. I can't do it like I could when I was 18!! LOL!
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Yeah I wish we had the newer verision but we use the old Classic L1 with the big D base. WHat I like about the new version besides lighter weight is with the Tonematch you don't have to stoop down and much to adjust it is waist level. Of course you can plug im a mixer and put it on a chair and it's not so bad but when we use both systems we just plug directly into the base. Just seems quicker and easier for me.

Tim your back is definitely gonna love the ease of transport! LOL! And like anything the more you use it the easier it is to set up and get zero'd in! I leave all settings pretty much the same now just turn volumes down make a few adjustmenst to the gain depending on the venue and then just bring up the sound. Takes me 5 minutes!

Destroyer of Mandolins

Thanks Jim, and thanks too for all your help over the last, what...year or so?! LOL

It seems like I might be the first to use the compact model here, so I'll try my best to give it a good workout. Right now we have 16 gigs booked for August where I expect to be able to use it. If it doesn't do the job, then back it goes after that (there's a 45 day return on it). But I figure by then I'll either figure it out or have learned my lesson. I didn't get the Tone Match because it doesn't have the input connectivity we need. Instead, I ordered a six channel SoundCraft mixer that I'll patch into the line input. I like SoundCraft products.

Thanks again!
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Destroyer of Mandolins

Well, it's here. Not exactly what I envisioned, but I'm keeping an open mind. I have to run off to our Tuesday gig, but I'll play with it in the morning. It just seems awfully small. Can those tiny little speakers really put out enough sound?
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Do you place the speakers out front of the one mic set up?

.. How tiny is it, Tim?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Tim the compact is made for a single singer/player type in a coffee house or something. It is the smallest system they got. You may need to take it back and swap for a single big system like the L1. If you buy the classic L1 (with the D base not the folding feet) it isn't that much more. I seen them for around $1700.00 WELL worth it to me!

Destroyer of Mandolins

I hear you Jim, but by all accounts this thing is supposed to handle 150+ in small to medium venues. If it works half as well as the reviews say, I'll also pick up an L-1 system II (with the folding legs) for bigger jobs. It's just that this is so radically different from anything I've played in my life. It's a little bit spooky, ya know?
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Registered User Eliot Greenspan's Avatar

played through one at an impromtu rehearsal/gig, when we found out that the hotel bar/restaurant where we were staying before a larger gig the next night, had a small stage and one of these systems. They had a small mixer leading into the primary channel and we ran two mics, one guitar, one mando into it. Sounded crisp and clean and had no problem filling a small room w/ about 20-25.

Playing the larger L-1, w/ the same duo set up, I also find it sort've starts pushing its limit at a noisy bar w/ about 70-100.

Aside from the small size and ease of set up. The thing I love most about these systems (when you get it right), is the fact that as a player yr hearing the house mix the whole time. Really great for singing/vocals.

I bought one a year ago (MkII with Tonematch mixer and bass bin). I use it for solo gigs and it's awesome. Set up time really is 10 minutes and I'm relaxed and ready to play rather than needing a shower from all the lifting.

Played a large hall in a UK university on our last tour and at the soundcheck the venue manager rushed out and wondered what I was using for PA as it was so much easier and cleaner sound than the large house system!

Sarah

Destroyer of Mandolins

Hi Sarah and welcome!

Thanks everyone for the input. I just did an A/B test with it against the small traditional PA we've been using for these smaller venues. The Bose is significantly louder, at least from the stage position, than the trad system (2 ten-inch passives w/horns, on tripods, fired by an 180 watt powered mixer). I'm feeling pretty good about it right now, but tomorrow will be the first acid test. We'll be playing the largest of the 'small' venues, so if it cover that, I'll have a lot more confidence'

I have the distinct impression that it will never replace our large PA system for outdoor jobs or wedding halls, but for the small bar scene I'm very encouraged so far.

I do like the set up time. I have this unpacked and ready in the time it takes just to haul in the other gear.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Destroyer of Mandolins

BTW, my first impression of the SoundCraft mixer is very, very positive. It's the first one I've owned, but I've played through them before. SoundCraft seems to be top level gear.

I especially like that it doesn't have a graphic equalizer, a device my partner has never been able to keep his hands off! He's one of those guys who says "My guitar needs a little more bottom", then adjusts the graphic EQ. I calmly and gently mention that he JUST CHANGED EVERYTHING PLUGGED INTO THE BOARD, but that doesn't bother him.
    Last edited by Tim2723; Aug-04-2010 at 10:27am.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Hi Tim,

thanks for the welcome. One factor in the loudness of the Bose system is that because it is a line array the drop off in db is half that of a normal point source speaker. So you normally lose 6db when you double the distance from the source - but with a line array you only lose 3db. The result is that in the appropriate room the sound is more evenly spread and it louder at the back than normal point source speakers. I'd also agree with you that the L1 would not replace a large PA system! I'm keeping my larger rig for bigger and more complicated gigs!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Jones View Post
    One factor in the loudness of the Bose system is that because it is a line array the drop off in db is half that of a normal point source speaker.
    I think the use of the term "line array" for this Compact version is a bit of a stretch by the Bose marketing department. The following link shows what it looks like inside, and I don't believe it's what most audio professionals would consider a line array:

http://www.keymusic.com/gfx_productc...act-System.jpg

The L1 towers get a little closer since they're actually in a vertical line, but the whole concept is compromised by the way most people will be using them... directly onstage, and often with part of the pattern blocked by the performers (if they're set up to the rear for monitors as well as mains, the way Bose recommends). Line arrays can't work if something is placed in front of them. Every actual "line array" I've ever seen has been a big stack of speakers flown above the audiences heads, where the pattern can work as intended. Here's some info on Wiki about how line arrays work, for those interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_array

That's not to say these Bose systems won't work when scaled for the right application, i.e. solo gigs and duos, maybe a small band if the room is right. But the line array hype is a bit much, considering the way most people will set up and use the speakers. Again, just my opinion. I'm looking forward to hearing how it works for Tim.

Tim keep in mind that the sound that eminates for the Bose is different. It seems to flow all around and it may not seem very loud you can walk quite a distance away and the sound is the same.

With my big PA using the 15" JBL main the sound just blast out in your face. If you walk from one side to the other the sound changes with the loudest when you are directly in front of the speaker. In a club setting I have found sometimes the owners and patron are used to that blasting sound in their face that they are used to and that is when you'll hear the "turn it up"

The sound from the Bose is more even and spread out thats why you don't need monitors you hear what the audience hears. Also don't know if the compact has presets but if it does play with them a lot you be surprised at the different responses using different presets.

Looking forward to your reviews (good or bad but hopefully not bad!) as you do your shows!

Destroyer of Mandolins

Thanks again all. I'd have to say that the biggest difference in my A/B test was that the traditional speakers were blasting in my face, while the Bose seemed to be a softer, more integrated experience. It seemed louder, but the feeling was very different. The proof is in the tasting, so tomorrow night I'll know a lot more. Taking the trad system as a backup, of course! Years ago it used to be cool to tape streamers to your amp and watch them stand straight out when you played. Anybody remember that? It doesn't happen with the Bose.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

[QUOTE=foldedpath;826664]I think the use of the term "line array" for this Compact version is a bit of a stretch by the Bose marketing department. The following link shows what it looks like inside, and I don't believe it's what most audio professionals would consider a line array:]

Hi foldedpath, yes of course you're right about the compact. I had forgotten that it was the compact we were talking about. The L1 towers were in my head!