Thread: Bill Monroe books?

Default Bill Monroe books?

Is there just a big book of Bill Monroe tabs for sale somewhere out there? I can play alot of stuff by ear, but only to a certain extent. And (like many others here i suppose) i love his music. So imj ust wondering if anyone can help me out.

Default Re: Bill Monroe books?

I've got this one -- Mel Bay's Monroe Instrumentals-- it's not a huge book-- 25 songs, but it's got most of the big Monroe fiddle tunes you're looking for. I can't get anywhere near Bill's vocal range, so I've never looked for a book of Tabs for his vocal tunes.

Blog Entries

There's a list of resources we developed long ago for Monroe found here. Some of those don't contain music but some do. Best suggestion is to look them over and decide which ones are for you. Some listed in that collection that have not been mentioned.

Blog Entries

The one Keb mentioned I have and found useful.

The Carr one I felt was more 'in the style of' and I found it simpler than I wanted. Good, but not the exactly what Bill played it sounds like OP wants.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    The one Keb mentioned I have and found useful.

The Carr one I felt was more 'in the style of' and I found it simpler than I wanted. Good, but not the exactly what Bill played it sounds like OP wants.
    I thought that it would be exactly what the OP would want. I'm sure he doesn't want to be a clone, I think that it's more useful to learn the style.