Thread: What else am i missing out on!!!?

Default What else am i missing out on!!!?

So, i just started listening to bluegrass about a year ago. I was trying to play the Banjo (which didn't work out that great for me, lost interest quickly.) But now im learning the Mandolin and i love it more than ever!!! BUT, when it comes to listening to traditional bluegrass, or newgrass, im kinda lost in what to listen to! I know Bill Monroe, and Sam Bush, and Chris Thile, and today for the first time im listening to Jesse McReynolds, and i freakin love it!!! Had never heard of him before this morning. So now im wondering, what else am i missing out on?

Default Re: What else am i missing out on!!!?

The Stanley Brothers, Flatt and Scruggs, The Nashville Bluegrass Band, Del McCoury, Dreadful Snakes, any David Grisman bluegrass such as Home is Where The Heart Is, Dan Tyminski, Don Rigsby, Longview, Seldome Scene. All of these are great and will give you a nice grounding in bluegrass. Many are fun to play along with to learn.

Blog Entries

There are oceans of great music out there. Wade out and enjoy.

May the world of music always present an overwhelming amount to experience.

May the universe always transcend our experience of it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

There are endless amounts of it out there, just waiting to be found. I'm not much on the way Spotify treats artists, but it is the best tool I've found for finding new music and expanding one's horizons. You can listen to a dozen versions of the same song, or the entire catalog of an artist.
    Mitch Russell

Thats actually what i use most of the time.

If you want to keep it simple and a little easier then listen to as much of the traditional stuff as you can, once you get some time under your belt you might want to go "Out in left field" and play some of the more progreaaive so called bluegrass songs, that will be your choice but if you want to join in on some jams it is best to try and keep it simple...OR in case you are stupid like I am, the traditional music is the way to go.....Learn to play the melody and then progress to scales and all of the other misical stuff that I know nothing about....

Good luck and above all...Have fun....BTW..."Banjo" seems to be a cuss word on here....Lol

Willie

I tryed bluegrass for years never could seem to et the hang of it got the chops down OK but never seemed to know the songs bought about 6 books on parking lot picking ,oldtime songsct and could never seem to know enough to play a break or some lead eith on mandolin or banjo. Now I play some 60-70 stuff and hawiian music ( mandolin is similar in sound to the uke.)

Two of my absolute favorites are Hot Rize (active mostly in the '70s and '80s) and the early Country Gentlemen (late '50s and '60s). Both feature exceptional mandolin playing from two giants on the instrument, Tim O'Brien, and the late great John Duffey. Duff is perhaps just as well known as a member of the Seldom Scene, but I prefer the early Gentlemen stuff a lot more. Red Allen's stuff featuring the great Frank Wakefield is also great. Very old, mossy, soulful and traditional.

Traditional grass is what got me into the music, and it's what I love. There are very few contemporary acts I enjoy, and if I do enjoy them, they're usually playing a traditional tune.

Just go onto YouTube,type in 'Bluegrass music' & search every link that comes up.That way you don't just get to listen,you can watch as well,
    Ivan
    http://youtu.be/jvBZF8F_sSM
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I really like The Bluegrass Album Band.

11. The following members say thank you to Frank Farley for this post:

Red Allen & Frank Wakefield "The Kitchen Tapes" & Tony Rice & Ricky Skaggs "Skaggs & Rice"
    Great duets CDs enough mandolin there to keep you going for a lifetime

13. The following members say thank you to doc holiday for this post:

If you're looking specifically for mandolin players, the ones you mentioned are a great start. Also Frank Wakefield, David Grisman, Emory Lester, Doyle Lawson, Ronnie McCoury, Adam Steffey, Andy Statman, Bobby Clark, Dave Peters, Peter Ostroushko, Norman Blake, Jethro Burns and, well I'll stop there.