Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Who has more then one mando

Default Re: Who has more then one mando

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I now own two - I originally planned to follow a One Mandolin Rule and have been pretty good at sticking to it, owning two only when I stepped up and had yet to sell the one I was replacing. However, I am so emotionally attached to the Salsedo I'm playing currently that I don't think I could bear to part with it, even if the mandolin I purchased recently is so much better for me that I end up not playing the Salsedo much anymore.

And so MAS begins....
    My name is Mike and I haven't bought a new mandolin in the last 24 hours....

Welcome to the club.

Cant understand anyone needing more than one instrument, I just have four mandolins, and two tenor banjos,and two ukuleles and a bouzouki
    mike mandolin

Blog Entries

Mark Twain, responding to news of Ulysses S Grant's throat cancer, explained he made a commitment to his doctor that he would only smoke one cigar at a time.

In the same vein, I play only one mandolin at a time.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Question Re: Who has more then one mando

I just noticed something key in the OP: If I already have one mandolin, but then acquire another, would I now have this 'more then one mando' to which we are all referring?

Recently turned down other temptations more sinful, and consoled myself by buying an Eastman Bacon Artist reproduction and a Flatiron pancake mandola. Add that to the Ratliff Silver Angel A and Harmony Batwing, and that makes four mando family instruments. I have since been haunting ebay like a fool. I have to cut myself off before I buy a tenor, and my wife hits the roof.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandopixie View Post
    If I already have one mandolin, but then acquire another, would I now have this 'more then one mando' to which we are all referring?
    And so it begins ...MAS rears its ugly yet oddly alluring head, causing the victim to lose control over one's reasoning faculties, abandon logic in favor of desire, forget how to make even the most fundamental calculation ... sad, isn't it? Yes, one and one is still two, and that is indeed more than one ... but less than three ... four ... and more and more ... yesss .... the preciousss ... must have the preciousssss ...
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by jdchapman View Post
    I have to cut myself off before I buy a tenor, and my wife hits the roof.
    MAS killer:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bdno6..jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	59968   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B&DSIlverbellNo3..jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	59969  

I have a home made F5, a Bob Schnieder F5, a '24 Gibson Snakehead, a double neck Telecaster/mandolin, an old roundback, and a cheapo beater. I am buliding two more F5's. My MAS is under control, really!

I only own 2 mandolins...the other one owns me!

This thread made me wonder if anyone knows how Shawn (the OP) is doing. He has some serious health issues and I got curious and looked at his profile and he has not logged in since last October.
    Bill Snyder

11. The following members say thank you to Bill Snyder for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

I thought that I was supposed to have more than one.......... is that wrong ..... oh no ..
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Blog Entries

Yep, have more than one, my ovation Crafter, the beater as you call it. then my Jbovier 2013 model

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

Blog Entries

I have a Weber Custom Vintage A and a JBovier ELS Electric (currently in the classified ads). I'm going to be purchasing another Weber (the Yellowstone HT), my first F-style mandolin. I never felt comfortable playing an F-style mandolin...it's kind of like picking out clothing. I just didn't feel the F-style mandolins were "me". However, this one, on display at my local music store, has been calling my name for quite some time. It is voiced very differently than my Vintage A, so I felt it would be a nice addition to my instrument collection. I don't have the room for too many instruments, though...that's why the Electric is for sale. I have a couple of mandolins I do not play including my starter mandolin I purchased 40 years ago and an early 1900s bowl-back my grandfather gave me.
    Weber Custom Vintage A
    JBovier ELS Electric
    Weber F-Style Yellowstone HT

Walking the long road... Fr. White's Avatar

I only have one mandolin, my Eastman 504, but I have only been playing for about 5 months.

So yes I only have one...so far...but I have begun longing for a symmetrical 2 pointer. Something about that look just calls to me.
    +

Eastman MD504

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I have way too many and will have more i once had over 50 guitars
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

I just got my second after 2 years.

The first was an A style f hole (eastman md305) and the second is a F5 style (Gibson F5-G).

First newbie impressions:

1. Radiused vs non radiused: Not much of a factor at all. It doesnt really matter much. Hard to tell much difference in playability, at my stage any way. In fact I like that I can look across the flat fretboard and know where the action is on each string whereas that is hard to gauge for inner strings on a radiused board.

2. One mando cost 10 times more than the other: To my skepic surprise, I must admit I think it was worth it (to me now). The Gibby has a much more deep/ rich tone you can hear and feel. Hard to describe. Also, it is louder and has a much thicker chop.

3. F style vs A: The F is more comfortable to play when sitting than the A. Thats funny as I understand the A was originally marketed as more comfortable to play sitting. I think its just reverse. Probably it was just considered more lady like in more puritan times, I dont know. But I now get why the playing stool is important to raise the left knee whereas it doesnt really help with the A style which I feel always needs a strap.

4. Fat vs skinny frets: I think I actually prefer skinny. I'll give it a little more time but I feel I get cleaner play on the thinner ones (eastman) and the thick ones (custom feature of my Gibby) cause problems fretting when you get to the tiny spaces way up the neck.

5. Neck: I like both. Gibby is a little thicker but comfortable. I like the nut width and string spacing on both too. I think they are both 1 1/8. The Gibby may be 1 1/16th, Im not sure. My fingers are narrow on the tips and I like fretting 2 courses with one tip when needed. I do not like the wider necks.

6. Action: I like it low. I tried it at "bluegrass medium" and it felt like a mile off the board. Lowered it on both.

7. I think these f holes are very versatile. I actually dont play much bluegrass. I like the f hole for the tone and projection.

A lot of this is just slowly learning what you like. And to do that requires quality time with a lot of different mandos. And that means owning a few along the way.
    Last edited by Astro; Aug-10-2014 at 12:26pm.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Only two mandos, one electric 8 string mando, two OM's, one mandola, one mandocello, and a few others....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0829.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	167.2 KB 
ID:	122506

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandobart For This Useful Post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Eventually Allen Hopkins or someone like him is going to see this thread and blow everyone out of the water. Meanwhile, I have somehow amassed quite a collection without really trying to ...

1917 Gibson A Mandolin
    1935 Gibson A-00 Mandolin
    1940s-50s Gibson EM-150 Mandolin
    2 Epiphone Mandobird Electric Solid-Body Mandolins (plan to convert one to mandola tuning)
    Fender Mandocaster FM 60E Electric Semi-Hollow Body 5-string Mandolin
    wooden resonator mandolin

related items:
    1916 Gibson H-2 Mandola
    1930s National Triolian Steel Tenor Guitar (tuned like mandola)
    1920s-30s mandolin-banjo

So, much to my surprise, I've managed to get into double digits, never intending to do anything of the sort. I've only ever wanted just one that did it all. Well, and a mandola. Well, and a steel resonator. Well, and a solid-body electric. You see what happens? And I even have, somewhere in deep storage, a nylon-string guitar. I admit it.
    This was four years ago; time to update.

1917 Gibson A Mandolin
    1918 Gibson A Mandolin (needed a spare to swap out after breaking a string mid-set
    1935 Gibson A-00 Mandolin
    1940s-50s Gibson EM-150 Mandolin
    Ryder 44 Electric Solid-Body Mandolin
    2 Epiphone Mandobird Electric Solid-Body Mandolins (still plan to convert one to mandola tuning)
    Fender Mandocaster FM 60E Electric Semi-Hollow Body 5-string Mandolin
    wooden resonator mandolin

related items:
    1916 Gibson H-2 Mandola
    1930s National Triolian Steel Tenor Guitar (tuned like mandola)
    Electric Solid-Body Octave Mandolin (modified Fender Billy Squier)
    1920s-30s mandolin-banjo

Total of thirteen. The last items on each list are in deep storage ... somewhere ... All the others - eleven of them - are at hand. Generally speaking, it's the A models and the Ryder that see any use. The mandola now and then, the Triolian needs a gear for a tuning peg, the electric OM needs some work to correct the intonation the A-00 sounds wan compared to the A's, the MandoBirds are toys compared to the Ryder, and the EM-150 isn't quite as cool as the Ryder.

But I have no plans to remove any of these from the collection. They all have different sounds and applications. I have never sold or gifted an instrument. Just the same way with cars - this is where vehicles come to live out their days and then move on to the other side. Not sure of the ultimate fate of the instruments, though - they're all still alive and well. Mostly.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I have 4 and, to quote Seinfeld, "not that there is anything wrong with that"
    -Newtonamic

22. The following members say thank you to Larry Simonson for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

(apologies to those that've seen the family photo elsewhere. And, to the OP from so many years ago. . .)

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	122507

names are in the signature, not sure about the order though.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatt-dad For This Useful Post:

I have 2 One I practice on and the other I take with me if I ever get a chance to play with others.
    I often take out the one I consider the best one and play a tune or 2 on it to keep the feel of it.

<raises hand> .. calmed MAS ..

now have begun re-fretting the ones I have, 1st one getting that , was My Mix A5
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

And then there was one...

Name:	Harmony-410-01.JPG 
Views:	190 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	122542 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Harmony-410-02.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	122543 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Harmony-410-04.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	122544
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

28. The following members say thank you to Ed Goist for this post:

Londy 

Blog Entries

I have two -- both perform well but have different functions and qualities. I have an A and an F style. My world is in balance, but I aim to work toward a good oval hole down the road (in a year or two).
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

The Loar 600, Godin A8 and mandobird... Gold tone mandola and OM, Soarsey octave mandocello... though I admit they don't all get played as much as the other... all get played more than my fiddle though haha
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

31. The following members say thank you to Barry Wilson for this post: