Thread: Shops along the road: Mississippi to Rhode Island

Default Shops along the road: Mississippi to Rhode Island

Well, I got a computer animation internship in Rhode Island and am driving up from Mississippi. I'm giving myself a bit more than a week to get up there and am going to take my time. The plan is to go from southern MS, Birmingham AL, Knoxville TN, Blacksburg VA, stop off in Washington DC for a few days to see my girlfriend, Harrisburg PA, Yonkers NJ, Middletown CT, and finally Newport RI. Now my question to all you fine people, are there any mandolin shops that you guys would recommend that I should stop at along the way? While I love my Weber Bridger to death, I really love just trying out new mandolins just to hear what other sounds are out there. Thankfully, I'm on a tight budget, so, I can't act on my MAS... I'll just be in a really nice position if a bunch of money ever comes my way .

Default Re: Shops along the road: Mississippi to Rhode Island

Takoma Park, MD (just NE of Washington DC, inside the 495 beltway): House of Musical Traditions.

Catonsville, MD (just west of Baltimore, right off 695): Appalachian Bluegrass Shoppe.

Blandon, PA (off I-78 west of Allentown - don't know if that's on your way but it might be): Meadowood Music.

Have fun...

Where in southern MS? I'm near Tupelo.

Going your route, I'd try to visit Big Joe and Gruhn's in Nashville (would have said Gibson showcase before April...), and you are only a couple of hours away from Steve & Gianna's in Friendville (home of the mandovoodoo and a huge selection of Eastmans) and Lynn Dudenbostal in Maryville.
    jBovier Vine
    Tacoma DR20
    VoyageAir OM-04

"Don't take much water to make a good cup of coffee"

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

When you get to CT, if you're not too anxious to finish your drive, stop by George Youngblood's workshop in Guilford, between exits 57 and 58 off I-95. Depending on a bunch of factors, including what's in the shop and what his mood is like, you could be in for a treat. He's often willing to spend a good amount of time talking about instruments and tools. One time I stopped by he had Charlie Daniel's $50,000 banjo on the bench, the most pricey instrument I've ever encountered. Why was it worth that much? Dunno. But it sounded exquisite - a word you won't see associate with a banjo too often, especially not hereabouts. I'm just saying, he gets a lot of nice instruments in as well as having a lot of nice ones on the walls.

And when you get to Newport, stop by Salvation Café. I haven't been there, but I met the owner when she was on vacation here and she (and her place) seems pretty cool.
    Last edited by journeybear; Jun-10-2010 at 9:17am. Reason: just more thinking ...
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Washington Music Center, Wheaton MD
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

I suspect that you're crossing the NYC area on I-80 and/or 95, and the George Washington Bridge?

If you can handle a moderate swing off course, you MUST make the pilgrimage to Mandolin Brothers on Staten Island, especially if it's a weekday.

If you need the "big city" experience, Rudy's Music Stop on guitar-centric 48th St. has a selection from Eastman on up: Weber, Collings, etc. Maybe some customs. A short walk from Times Sq. None of the many others on the street have mandos worth stopping for.

If you can only afford a short excursion off the interstate, you'll find an array of vintage at Lark St. Music in Teaneck, NJ, just about 5 mi. short of the G.W. Not a wide selection, but deep; well worth visiting. I've played some REAL nice mandos there, like I wish I could afford! Good website, pictures of all the more interesting stuff. He re-set the neck on my D-35. (Used to be in Albany, NY, but moved here 10 - 20 years go, keeping the Albany name). Closed Saturdays, open Sunday PM.

Oh yeah: Expect parking at Rudi's in Manhattan to be a bitch, and/or $. The others are in residential areas, where parking's a lot easier.

Good luck!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson