Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gibson F-5G or Goldrush?

Default Gibson F-5G or Goldrush?

I am pretty new to mandolin, but have been completely consumed and addicted since starting. I have played guitar for 25 years, and haven't even picked one up since becoming obsessed with the mandolin. It's very exciting to have a new venture in life.

I originally purchased a Breedlove Quartz FF and within 2 weeks turned it back in and ordered a Gibson F-5G. I new having played guitars for soo long and being a devout Martin man that the quality of the instrument could promote or deter your playing and was confident I needed a great Mando for a long time to come. The F-5 was a beauty that I got new for $3700 including tax. The strap button however had been slammed into the instrument and the bell on the strap button was shaved off. There was also what genuinely appeared to have been a hairline crack in the top of the Mando that was obviously attempted to be covered up by Gibson. Probably wasn't an issue, but with the combo of the strap button issue I decided to send back. Having purchased many Gibson Les Pauls in the past, I am very familiar with the high inconsistencies in Gibson products.

Currently if I want another F-5G it won't be available until October. The store GM has agreed to let me purchase a Gibson F-5GR Goldrush for $4600 including tax that is currently available. It will have to come shipped, so I can't play it before. I know that is a better price in relation to MSRP, and yes he is a friend so he gives me killer deals. In the meantime he nas let me buy back the Breedlove Quartz FF until I order the Goldrush or October when the F-5s are back in.

So, very long way around until this question. Gibson F-5G or Gibson Goldrush? Bluegrass is what I mostly enjoy. I know at the prices I am protected on not loosing any money.

I am happy to have founf these forums and have researched them quite thoroughly. Look forward to communicating with others and maybe meeting at get togethers. I live in DFW. Thanks for any replys.

I'll have to make another post on the mandolin becoming such a consuming instrument for a guitar player.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Gibson F-5G or Goldrush?

I like both the F5-G and the Goldrush. For my money, I'd probably go with the Goldrush, simply because it has the full visual appointments and is a bit more unique than the F5-G. Also, the Goldrush is a "last stop" kind of instrument as long as you don't want a varnished instrument. It's a top-tier nitro-finished beast! I think they are beauties.

You won't have a chance to sample the F5-G either will you?
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

I would never order a Gibson without seeing and playing it. Their quality control is way too spotty to risk it.
    Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change

If I was going to buy a Gibson sight unseen it would be a Goldrush or a Master Model. I've liked every Goldrush I've played. The fit and finish has been better on some than others. But since your familiar with Gibby guitars, you know the drill.

Blog Entries

True about the quality control. I had a SG Special electric guitar years ago that had some horrible "hidden" blemishes. For example, I unscrewed the back plate where the wiring was and the wood had not been sanded or anything. It was rough wood in there!

Still, Dave Harvey has a great reputation, and if he's signing them, I'm sure the quality control is on the up and up.
    Last edited by Kevin Briggs; Jun-06-2010 at 7:30pm. Reason: typo
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

Is Dave Harvey the fellow that is signing the Goldrush or the SG's?

I was hoping either the F-5 or the GR would be a last stop instrument, that is why I'm willing to invest that kind of money. Yes it is unfortunate that a I can't play them before hand. One of the costs of saving several grand. I can return it if not satisfied, I just hate being a pain in my friend's rear since he helps me out soo often.

When you say varnished, is the F-5 varnished and the Goldrush more of a Satin thin nitro finish? Is the GR tap-tuned and not the F-5? What is tap-tuning exactly anyway? I've seen expensive custom mado makers saying that they don't tap-tune.

Swan: I've played a goodly number of F5G's and while visually I find them pretty much the same, they've ranged in tone from "OK" to one that a friend has that is truly beautiful. As always, each mando is a distinct individual.

As far as the Goldrush goes, $4600 is a darn good deal for a mando of that quality with the appointments that GR's come with (fully bound, fern inlay, etc.). You certainly don't see them up for sale by their current owners too often, which says something to me.

But more importantly, every GR I've played (and I am a very happy owner of a 2008 David Harvey signed one) has had a nice rich tone that speaks to my ears (some folks attribute the distinctive tone to the slighly smaller f-holes.) Visually, each GR I've seen has had some pretty spectacular flamed maple on the backs, sides and neck, (none of it being hidden by paint), nice tightly-grained tops and beautiful abelone inlay. Third, I like the fact that while the GR has a nice rounded-V neck profile, I believe it is a tad wider at the nut than the F5G or L. I find it super comfortable to play and you might notice the difference also.

Again, as is always the case, you can't just go by price or model or paint job...in the end, you hopefully go with the mando that "speaks" to you visually, tonally, tactilely (sp?) and emotionally, be it an F5G, GR or whatever, that's within your price range.

All that said, I'd sure check out that GR if I were you!

Best, Benski
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0243..jpg 
Views:	670 
Size:	238.1 KB 
ID:	59364   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0244..jpg 
Views:	549 
Size:	251.2 KB 
ID:	59365   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0242..jpg 
Views:	590 
Size:	283.1 KB 
ID:	59366  

2017 Ellis F5 Special #438

Gibson uses varnish on the Master Model and te Distressed Master Model. Everything else is lacquer. the Goldrush is a gloss lacquer finish.

Beautiful Mando. I'm trying to picture the Mando I buy 30 years out and well played. The Breedlove I currently have is a wider neck 1 3/16 maybe, not too wide but I'd lean towards the F-5 I had 1 1/16? Something in the middle maybe perfect. Those are good pictures. The inlay doesn't look as greenish as the Gibson sight.

When it came to Martins I had had 000-42s and D41's and D42's adorned a little more, but always drift back to the standard HD-28's. The Gibson F-5L kind of seems to be the traditional standard.

With the price cut your buddy is giving you I would roll the dice on the Rush. Your around $1900.00 on the sweet side of bottom advertised retail pricing. If you don't like it you should be able to sell it without loss or at a profit very very easily. My rush's fit and finish are fair to middlin at best, slab cut ribs, mongo scroll work but I wouldn't trade it for any amount of eye candy because I really like the way it plays and how it sounds. Some times obsession with cosmetics can blind you to what these beautiful little boxes are really made for. Another thing to keep in mind is that these carved top f hole instrument sound different out front than what you hear massaging the strings. When it comes in get your friend to play your Breedlove and it while you put some distance between you out front and see if you like the tone compared to your Breedlove especially when he digs in.

Blog Entries

I assume the reason is no stock now at Gibson -- but I wondered why you are stepping over the next model after the F-5G -- that is did you consider the F-5 Fern?

It is kind of between the F-5G and the GR -- it is really a fully bound F-5G with a fern headstock rather than a flowerpot. With the Gibson lacquer finished -- sitka topped - aliphatic glued F models you have:

F-9 and related models (no binding, no inlay) -- F-5G (front body binding, flowerpot inlay) -- F-5 Fern (Formerly called the F-5L with full binding body and headstock and fern inlay) -- the the Goldrush and the Signature models. According to Gibson these mandolins are all identical except for the binding and inlay -- some issues like small f-holes on the GR and you can order them with the wider nut. But in theory an F-9 could sound equal or better than a Signature model -- its pure chance.

Since Gibson already has your money (true?) I guess you have to complete a deal with them now but course there are other distributors that sell Gibson mandolins and as well (and this my opinion) you can save a lot of money and also have a lot better idea what the mandolin will sound like if you buy used.

I'm not trying to deprive the Gibson factory of new sales but I agree is is risky buy a new mandolin by mail (as you know of course).
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

My rush has a darker golden color than any others I've seen and is the only one I've seen with slab cut ribs. The older ones came with pickguards which they have eliminated on the newer ones. I played mine for a while without it because it kept coming loose and was too high. I have since then reinstalled it lower with a little more tension friction on the mounting post. Works good, lasts long time now, I really prefer it now that I've gotten used to it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2nd half 366..jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	167.6 KB 
ID:	59367   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2nd half 042..jpg 
Views:	383 
Size:	213.7 KB 
ID:	59368  

The F-5L's are currently on back order also. Plus they are even more than the GR in price, and I wasn't wanting to spend even more. Gibson does not have my money, but that is the only high end Mando my friend can get me at a smokin price on, and like the gentleman stated earlier, I can protect myself on the investment, which I like to do. I'd buy Apple stock too if I could get it 25% below market. Plus, although Gibson's quality is embarrissingly hit or miss, it has been the standard through the years from my little knowledge. I'd buy a Sim Daley because of Dan Tyminski's endorsing but it would depreciate the second I drove it off the lot, and only true time will tell how those and other expensive buquis mandos will stand the test of time. Gibson, like Martin, has a very long and proven track record of sustaining values.

I sure appreciate everyone's input soo far. Thanks.

Blog Entries

I think you are definitely smart to stay with Gibson -- both for tone and value -- but then I always say that.

But there are usually a number of great used Gibson F-models for sale on classifieds including the Mandolin Cafe and auctions -- and the depreciation on these has already been paid by someone else.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Here's one more vote towards the Goldrush.

The price you are getting it for is perhaps "as good as it's going to get" insofar as finding a new one (which I assume will come with the factory warranty). They usually go for almost $2k more.

But more than that, the GR is more appealling than the F-5g, and has a higher level of, well, adornment. It suggests "a blonde Fern", but isn't. Most of them have beautiful wood, and the grain shows. How well you like it will depend on whether you just "have to have sunburst" -- seems to be an obsession or something!

Even more than THAT, the GR has [to my ear] a unique tone amongst the Gibson line (perhaps shared with the Doyle Lawson signature model) due to its smaller f-holes. A little more low-end, clear, balanced, with a bit more "complexity" than the "traditional Gibson sound".

Also to be considered is neck width. The F-5g will probably be 1 1/16". The GR is a bit wider, about 1 1/8".

One word of warning: you may find that the GR finger-rest "curls" a bit upwards towards the bridge. Seems to be a common complaint. I can't say that they _all_ do that, but I've read reports from several folks who says theirs had "the curl". Mine does too. If it gets too bad, you might get in touch with Dave Harvey and see if he'd replace it for you.

There are currently some nice used Ferns out there in the same price range, if you look around, as well.

- John

John: sounds like you have a GR. Care to post a pic or two? As far as the finger rest goes, I think most mandos look and sound better without them, but that's just my opinion.

Also: I'm spending a lot of time in Norwalk,CT lately for work. Any good Bluegrass venues or jams up your way?

Cheers, Benski

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Benski View Post
    John: sounds like you have a GR. Care to post a pic or two? As far as the finger rest goes, I think most mandos look and sound better without them, but that's just my opinion.

Also: I'm spending a lot of time in Norwalk,CT lately for work. Any good Bluegrass venues or jams up your way?

Cheers, Benski
    I'll bet you a quarter that you can't tell the difference!
    Bernie
    ____

Well, I ordered the Goldrush today. I should get it tomorrow evening or Wednesday at the latest. Can't wait. Thanks to all for the input.

Congratulations! Fortune favors the bold! We'll keep our fingers crossed for you that everything goes smoothly. Let us know what you think when you get it! Cheers, B

Good call, methinks...post some pics if you can stop playing it long enough to shoot some photos!!
    Chuck

Great call - that would be my choice!
    Linksmaker

Congratulations now while your waiting on the mandolin order some Sam Bush Monel strings for it if you can't buy them locally, these are without a doubt my favorites on both my mandolins. Woodwizard likes the EXP 74/75 on his Goldrush, an old time bronze sound(similar to the Bill Monroe strings that come on the Goldrush new, also great strings). Not sure what the other guys are running on theirs but these three are a good place to start.

I'd take the Goldrush over the F-5G anyday and I've bought several Gibsons (from vintage to almost new) without playing them and I have never been disapointed. And with your Goldrush if for some reason you don't like it at the price you bought it at you'd have NO problem getting your money back by selling it in fact I'd bet that you would probably make money.

Post some pics when you can we love that stuff on here!

Yeah, the deal that I got was the reason I decided to go ahead and jump on the opportunity. I'm even semi convinced that if things got tight financially my Martin may end up going first. I'm guessing the newness of the mando may diminish, and my new found obsession may dwindle a little over time, but I don't know. Obviously the guitar is more versatile as to the different types of music I can play, but there is something about a mando. The tone, the woody chop, the convenient size of the instrument ( especially when you have three kids packing everywhere you go ). I definitely have more patience and enjoy picking out melody lines more on the mando. Maybe there just tend to be fewer bad notes? I'm going to post inquiring of any other converts. I know you still always play guitar, but converts who consider themselves mando players first now after being guitarists. Heck, I'd even have converted to banjo but that instrument scares me. Seems like way too much going on for this clown to comprehend or make sound good, but hey Steve Martin plays and pretty darn good to.

Well she's here and she's beautiful. The best woody chop I have experienced soo far. I was surprised that it is dated April 24th 2006 signed by a Casey Q S?LL???. I'll have to research that acoustic engineer. The neck is great. Not as big as the Breedlove, but bigger than the F-5G. One questionable fit and finish is where the neck sets to the body on the top-side appears to have a hairline under the laquer. Doesn't really appear to be a crack, but maybe just where assembly shows easier on clear finishes.?? The smaller frets are kind of cool. Wasn't sure how I was going to like that. When I can figure out how to make thumbnails, I'll post some pictures. Think I'll play for a little while first.