Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I just got a Tone Gard.

Default I just got a Tone Gard.

All I can say is Wow. What a difference, I'm really impressed. Wow.

Leigh

Default Re: I just got a Tone Gard.

I am considering purchasing one. I have a varnished instrument and afraid it will scratch the finish. Did you get the traditional one or the modern pattern? Any trouble putting it in the case?

Mines been on my instrument since I got it and was on another instrument a year before that and left not even a smdge of course I don't have varnish though.

The pads are made of soft leather so I don't how it could hurt a finish as long as the finish is fully cured and dried.

My wife doesn't want me to get one because she says my mandolin is too loud already. I guess I agree.
    Last edited by lovethemf5s; Oct-09-2008 at 8:12pm. Reason: Because, just because.
    '02 Collings MF5

5. The following members say thank you to lovethemf5s for this post:

Which tone guard is the best...the traditional or Art Deco design?

They all work the same. It's a matter of which look you like the best, and frankly, nobody ever sees them when they are in use. Get the one you like.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

Brent:

I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't know which one I got; after you asked I went on the website and looked at the pictures. I guess I have the Standard SunriseGard. It doesn't seem like it will scratch the finish, but then I have an older mandolin that's a lot less expensive than a lot of those around here, so it's not as much of an issue.

It's a pretty amazing thing, I sound like John Reischman now! :>)

Leigh

I've had one on my MF5 since I got it ('02) and one on my Wiens F5 varnish since I recieved it too ('04). They must be the old type because they don't have leather pads, just sort of a rubber...I think. They really helped to break in both these mandos. I wouldn't play with out them. As for damaging the instrument...I'm almost embarassed to say...It's been a couple of years since I've taken them off so I really don't know .

Rob Baker

'02 Collings MF5
    '04 Wiens F5 varnish

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Willis View Post
    I am considering purchasing one. I have a varnished instrument and afraid it will scratch the finish. Did you get the traditional one or the modern pattern? Any trouble putting it in the case?
    I also have a Calton Deluxe for each axe and they fit no problem.

Rob Baker

'02 Collings MF5
    Wiens F5 varnish

Blog Entries

I got the Art Deco version because I liked the looks and since I'm the only one that sees it routinely that makes sense to me. Besides freeing the back to resonate it also frees you to wear the shirt you want to wear. I also use an armrest, one of Doug's McClungs, which frees the top and lets my picking hand set without having to be lifted.

As far as the case goes I have the eastman cloth f-style and the mando and the Tone Gard fit in it fine. Unless it fits like birth it should be OK.
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    ca. 1900 Clifford Mandolinetto
    Martin Guitars

I have had mine exactly 1 week. I think it is wonderful. Really helps the volume and tone. It is the sunrise pattern with rubber pads. I do worry a little about the tightness of the case . It isn't super tight but the bridge is contacting the lid more. How much much pressure on the bridge is a bad thing? I have remedied it by using a Boulder gig bag,but that means I have to be much more casreful about where I put it daown or store it. Overall though I can't imagine not using one from now on.

Others know more than I do about it, but I don't think any good can come out of a case lid putting pressure on a bridge. At the very least it means that there is solid contact and any pressure from outside the case is going to be directed to the top of the mandolin via the bridge. I am referring to the weight of something stacked on top of it, or a sudden blow, such as bumping into a doorway or something like that. My mandolin, with Tone-Gard installed fits very tightly into the shaped area for the body, but makes no contact with the lid. Be careful.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

I think I will be using the gig bag for everyday and the hard case with the tone guard off for more dangerous endevours(sp?). Hope this isn't too far off topic, but does anyone think a travellite would give a little more room than the Collings/tkl case?

Phylum Octochordata Mike Bromley's Avatar
    Canucklehead from Cowgary, Oilberta. Spend half my time in Iraq. A wacky life.

Quote Originally Posted by Robblegrass View Post
    I'm almost embarassed to say...It's been a couple of years since I've taken them off so I really don't know
    When I got my Triggs from Jim the NC lacquer had not fully cured, and, contrary to the recommendations made by Mr. Triggs, I left the tonegard on the mando for a month while over in Libya.

Though equally embarrassed, the mando is none the worse for wear.

Root'n Toot'n World trav'ln Rock sniff'n Microscope twiddl'n Mando Mercenary
    Tuxedo Mines
    Triggs Mandolins
    Youtube Stuff

Scott has a tone guard on his mandolin and loves it. What a difference it makes in volume. If you superglue the little pads on to the tone guard they will stay on the back and will not allow the tone guard to scratch your mandolin.

Evan Marshall is still pondering a purchase.... Or is bothered by the Earl Scruggs t shirt.... Not sure
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	js_Scott Gates and Evan Marshall.jpg 
Views:	687 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	35435  
    Andrew J Gates

As soon as I get a diff case I am going to get one. Heck if I don't position my A Jr. just right in the case it puts pressure on something and I don't think it should put any pressure anywhere. I like the Eastman Rectagular case I had once and it seamed to have a lot of room and storage but I will admite that TKL (or is it TLK) is a realy nice case but more expensive. Someone has a nice Webber rectangular case listed but about twice what the eastman is (more than twice the case I bet) and I would need a couple weeks to build up my mando money to get it....Darn.....spent the fun time cash on the mando....

FWIW, I have a ToneGard on my Collings MT2 and it fits in the case just fine without any pressure on the bridge (I have the OEM Collings TKL case).

I will echo most everyone else's opinion and say I'm also a huge fan of the Tonegard. And to tell you the truth I was hoping I wouldn't like it ... I really wanted an excuse NOT to buy another $75 "accessory" for my mando. I don't know if it's just the air gap between the instrument and my body, or the added mass on the sides that the top and back have to vibrate against, but the mando just rings with the TG in place.

I just got one as well for my '95 Gibson F5-G. It was loud before, but whoo-boy, it has me reaching for the (non-existent) volume knob now

The mando with T-G attached seems to fit fine in the stock Gibson (form-fit) case I got with the mando when I purchased it. That is, I don't have to press down on the lid or anything to fasten the latches, and the latches don't have any resistance when I close them. So it seems good to me (and I'm glad I don't have to run out and buy another case...)
    1995 Gibson F-5G
    1996 BlueStar 4-string Mandoblaster w/ Bill Lawrence pickup
    1991 Bluett custom fretless acoustic bass guitar
    ...and a whole lot of electric basses

The Forrest Gump of Mando Rob Powell's Avatar

Here's mine...it's a custom that Tony does for Weber mandos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tonegard.jpg 
Views:	1193 
Size:	291.9 KB 
ID:	35458  
    "If you can make it to 50 without growing up, you don't have to..."

Rob Powell AKA The BeerGeek

21. The following members say thank you to Rob Powell for this post:

Gypsy 

I've been using a Tone Gard on my Gilchrist for 6 years with no problems. It's great!
    Ron Pennington

Does anyone know if the tone guard will fit in the hard case that is being supplied with the Loar 700's.
    Thanks.

I think I got maybe 15% more volume out of my Eastman. It seems to help and folks have noticed a difference

I think they attach in much the same way a shoulder rest on a fiddle does and they never mar the finish of my fiddles.........
    Thank you baby Jesus for one smokin hot mandolin...

So how much space does the ToneGard give you? If it's fitting in cases, seems like it can't be that much. I can't tell from the pictures though. I was imagining it making the mandolin stick way out from my body, causing an awkward reach while playing. Apparently not?

Well, apparently Tony Pires is the guru of the tone gard so maybe he can let us know the clearance factor. I am getting the impression that the purchase of this accessory is one that is made on faith--a hope and a prayer and few dollars. I also have a feeling that if I don't order one soon the price will go up based on the rave reviews.