Thread: Learning Aids

Default Learning Aids

I have been playing Mando for a little while (6 months or there abouts) off and on. Up to this point I have been transposing guitar chords and finger picking using my knowledge of violin (classically trained, been playing 9 years). I wanted to get a resource that would actually teach mando. I thought about the School of Mandolin at the Academy of Bluegrass online but didn't know if my 240$ would be better spent on DVD's and books cause at some point I want an upgrade from my little oval-hole Johnson Mando.

Default Re: Learning Aids

My experience has been that the School of Mandolin is more worthwhile than buying DVDs and books. Mike will get you on the right track with technique when you send him a video, and there is a host of great material available on the site, both the lessons and interviews and performances by Mike and other artists. You can try it for 3 months for $90. With the background you've described having, it could be a good fit for you.

I did a review of the site here you might find interesting.

How long does it take to get a video responce. there is no way he answers everyones videos.

You are user of the site? Does it provide sheet music? I can read music just fine and would probably learn faster that way

Quote Originally Posted by JGregs View Post
    How long does it take to get a video responce. there is no way he answers everyones videos.

You are user of the site? Does it provide sheet music? I can read music just fine and would probably learn faster that way
    He answers every video. Its what they're selling. If he didn't it would go against the agreement. The tablature provided has sheet music above the tabs. Many of the backing tracks are offered at various speeds as well. I am a member as well.

I believe the video responses are 6-10 days which is a good turnaround time.

Holy cow . . . It might be well worth the money then. Eric C., were you a customer? Satisfied?

What about Mike Marshal vs the Banjo Ben site? You don't get guaranteed video chat but you can probably bug him enough to get a response from time to time.

From the stand point of pure content for the price, which is better. (BanjoBen only costs 75$ for unlimited access)

I've had a good look at both the Mike Marshall and Banjo Ben sites, although I only joined Mike Marshall's. It's important to remember that Mike Marshall is one of the world's top mandolinists, runs the yearly Mandolin Symposium, and plays with the likes of Chris Thile, David Grisman, Darol Anger, Caterina Lichtenbourg (his wife) and Edgar Mayer, whereas Banjo Ben, er, is a very nice young man. In my opinion what you get from Mike Marshall's site is so far beyond what Banjo Ben offers that there is really no comparison. Mike does answer every single video he gets in a timely fashion, and usually with great depth and insight. He also covers way more than just bluegrass, regularly including Bach, Brazilian choro, swing, jazz, blues and even the Beatles.

A big +1 for the Academy of Bluegrass with Mike Marshall. I have been playing (read "struggling with") our little instrument for about 20 years, after having played guitar for 20 before that. I have had a lot of instructors, been to many workshops and I have boxes of books, tapes and DVDs. I will go so far as to say that in my opinion, AOB, if used well by the student, is by far the most cost effective learning experience I can imagine.

It combines the best of personal instruction few us could ever afford or logistically access, that being lessons from someone the caliber of Mike Marshall, with the best of non-personal instruction, that being his online curriculum of lessons and resources. It also adds a community, with a message board and chats with other students, both other mandolin students and AOB students of other instruments.

I cannot say enough good about Mike himself. I was only slightly aware of his work previously, but I now think of him as one of the great players out there, with vast knowledge of a wide range of music. As a teacher, he is positive and patient, but yet still appropriately demanding of his students. To get all that for $240 a year is such a bargain. I have spent over $1,500 some years on personal instruction and materials and not gotten as much out of it.

The thing for me that really sets this experience apart is the requirement to make videos to submit to Mike. BTW, once Mike posts his video answer, all your fellow AOB mandolin students can see your video and his response. It's like a "recital on steroids." In all my years of playing, I have rarely been solo on video and not even been solo audio recorded all that much. When I have, it's been just for my own review, not anyone else's.

This feature has caused my level of self-critique to jump far beyond what I ever imagined it could. I think I easily work more than twice as hard and am more than twice as perfectionistic as I would be working on a lesson for a live instructor. I don't even turn on the camera until I think I have a tune down perfectly, but then I have to do several takes to get it near perfect on video and then finally Mike still sees stuff I need to work on and I instantly see that he's right!

I also play electric bass guitar and ArtistWorks, the parent of AOB, has just gotten bassist Nathan East, who has worked with B.B. King, Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Elton John, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Sting, Quincy Jones, Phil Collins and Herbie Hancock to teach that instrument in the same manner. Then they've got Howard Levy teaching harmonica (multiple Grammy winner, touring with Bela Fleck right now). I am sorely tempted by those, but struggling with the fact that it would take time away from AOB Mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by JGregs View Post
    Holy cow . . . It might be well worth the money then. Eric C., were you a customer? Satisfied?
    Im still a customer though I have to admit I don't take full advantage of what it offers. Having said that 30 bucks is one he'll of a deal for everything it offers. Its Mike Marshall and he is one heck of an instructor. Not to mention an all around easy going guy.
    I can't say much about banjo ben. The only experience I have with him is through free youtube videos. He seems to dabble in everything where Mike is devoted to mandolin. Did I mention its Mike Marshall?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric C. View Post
    Im still a customer though I have to admit I don't take full advantage of what it offers. Having said that 30 bucks is one he'll of a deal for everything it offers. Its Mike Marshall and he is one heck of an instructor. Not to mention an all around easy going guy.
    I can't say much about banjo ben. The only experience I have with him is through free youtube videos. He seems to dabble in everything where Mike is devoted to mandolin. Did I mention its Mike Marshall?
    It looks like he is unaware of Mike Marshall's history as a player and teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    It looks like he is unaware of Mike Marshall's history as a player and teacher.
    Yeah, pretty much. Everything I know I have learned from watching him on Youtube