Thread: Hand Type and Neck Profile

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

Default Hand Type and Neck Profile

I was just enjoying my new Old Wave oval A (after a crazy rush of moving with a new job and no playing). I asked Bill to build this one with a narrow, V-shaped neck, and he nailed it.

I think I might have unusual hands-- I wear large or extra-large gloves, but I'm only 5'7", and not a big guy. Stocky, but not huge. I would think that I would have smaller-than-normal hands, due to my stature, but I guess not.

I really strongly prefer a narrower neck, with a V-shaped profile. I sold an OM at a $1200+ loss because of the "baseball bat" neck. It seems that big palms and short fingers (me) doesn't work well with big, "C" or "D" shaped necks. Especially not with a long scale.

So, how are your hands, and what necks do you prefer? I'm a perennial noob player, but my preference is a "V" shaped, narrow neck on a mandolin, and a short (20"?) scale with a narrow V-shaped neck on an OM.

Default Re: Hand Type and Neck Profile

Yup, same here. I just can't go big, fat necks. I prefer 1 1/8" and a nice v-neck with a radiused board on mandolin. But I can go back and forth between a flat board and a radiused on fairly easily. I just got a mandola and part of the reason I got it was it had a 1 3/16" neck, fits like a glove. I have a 23.5" scale OM with a 1 7/16" nut. It's definitely a stretch for my hands!

My hands are not particularly large, but I tend to prefer the pre-trussrod Gibson necks to the later style. I also play a lot of bowlbacks, and really dislike the Martin necks, which have rather less depth to them than is typical in the Italian instruments.
    I also prefer V-shape over U-shape, FWIW.

I imagine this is all pretty much personal preference. I also suspect that my preference may stem from playing a 1921 Gibson as my exclusive mandolin for a couple decades; just imprinted on that fat neck.

I'm 5'9" and like Lee wear a large to extra large glove. Interestingly enough, the size and shape of the neck on a mandolin or octave mandolin don't seem to make much difference to me. I think this indifference has a lot to do with my experience with other instruments. I've been playing classical guitar (a very wide neck) for more than 40 years, and fiddle (obviously a very narrow neck) for 14.

How I hold an instrument and what fingering I use does vary greatly with the size and shape of the neck and sometimes requires straying from the norm. For example, on OM I use mandolin fingering, but use my thumb on the back of the neck ala classical guitar. That allows me to pivot my whole hand for the longer reach. On my Eastman 504, I hold the neck fiddle style, but on my thick necked Fender (54E) I shift much thumb further back toward the center of the neck to allow a better reach with my fingers.

I'm 5'9, average build/hand size. I prefer the slim neck. Played an Altman last weekend which I could easily fall in love with, had just a perfect neck. A guy I run into at festivals has a Sam Bush, neck the size and feel of a baseball bat. Don't care for it.

I'm 6'2", with moderately large hands (can't quite palm a basketball, but sooo close). My F5G has the V neck profile which I love. That V just fits perfectly. I don't really like the way other profiles (even U-shaped) feel. I've played some 40's and 50's Gibby slope-shouldered dreads that had the thick neck, I can't imagine ever getting used to that. My '73 SG Standard has a really thin neck profile, and since I'm the original owner and still like it, I reckon I must be fairly set in my ways.
    Clark Beavans

Blog Entries

A good fit is a good fit. From mandolin necks to running shoes. Critical to performance, IMO.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I don't mind semi-chunky necks. Rounded or v-shaped don't bother me either. I don't even care that much if it is radiussed or flat. However, wider necks do get to me. I have a couple that have (I think) 1.25" at the nuts and i find that it slows my playing down somewhat. I can adjust, but when I pick up my narrower necked mandolins, it is a big difference.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I play an Eastman 805 - narrow v flat, and a 1916 Gibson A4 - wide v slight radius. I honestly like them both. I would have a heck of a time deciding what neck width and profile to order if I had a mando custom built. I adjust to whatever I have in my hands. Sometimes it will take a few days - usually not. I wear a large or extra large glove and I have shortish and kind of stubby fingers. I always think back to folks like Muriel Anderson who is a tiny women with very small hands who works on a flat 2 inch wide classical guitar fret board with no problems whatsoever - indeed she prefers it. I find that certain things are easier on the small board and certain things are easier on the wide board. I just have to adapt to whatever gets stuck in my hands.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

I've played some very sharp V necks that were uncomfortable, mostly old Gibson As. Mine has a softer V and very narrow at the nut, actually a smidge UNDER 1 1/16 inch. I have short fingers and thick wrists and can never find gloves that fit. The more serious the picking gets, the farther my thumb goes behind the neck. Since I started hangin' with a more Celtic crowd, it's back there alot. I had a 10 1/2" radius put on the board when she was refretted, and I like it. That's pretty flat, though, and probably makes little difference.
    I have a good buddy who plays a Yellowstone. Beautiful mandolin, sounds real good, has a big neck. I can't play it for more than 10 minutes. It's all down to what you're used to. I have a 17 fret tenor banjo which is club-like in several aspects. I've taken a wood rasp to the neck, but it's still too fat. Feels good, though, to wield a toothed wheapon on a banjo.
    Mike Snyder