Thread: Setup, setup, setup!

Default Setup, setup, setup!

Hi All,

Just a shout out for my Fret Doctor. Took my Coombe A5 to get a serious check-up. It's a 2006 and I'm the third owner. I loved the look and sound of this instrument and it seemed setup pretty well, although I could tell it needed something.

Kenny (aka: Fret Doctor) took a look and said he could get it sounding and playing better. Just got it back and WOW! The action is perfect and it plays like a dream. It's like I had a high end sports car running on half it's cylinders and with bad tires and not it is fine tuned to perfection.

When in doubt... Take your baby and get it setup by a qualified person and you will be very happy.

If you are in SE VA I can hook you up with Kenny. He didn't ask me to post this btw. Hope that doesn't violate forum rules.
    Mark

Gibson A circa 1917
    Collings Mf 5 "Blackface"

Default Re: Setup, setup, setup!

I just had Big Joe in Nashville set up my Weber Loar. He told me over the phone how much better it sounds and how it plays easier. He also trimmed the bridge somewhat, put on a Jame tailpiece. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive next week and try it for myself. I am hoping my experience is as good as yours! I am sure it will be, Big Joe and his staff are well known experts and also a delight to work with.
    Kentucky KM 140 (Sold)
    Weber-Made The Loar
    Eastwood Mandocaster (Sold)
    Kala SMHC Concert Uke (Sold)
    1910 Gibson A-1
    The Loar LM 700
    Washburn B8K Banjo
    Recording King RA 998-E resonator
    1923 Gibson F-4 with double stamped FON

Blog Entries

Agreed. If I had to pick the one, single most important thing I've learned in my time here on the Cafe--it's definitely the need/value of a good setup by a quality luthier.

NP
    2002 Bussmann F4
    1999 Weber Bridger A
    1917 Gibson Alrite D

"There's three kinds of people in this world, those that are good at math and those that aren't."

Agreed. I'm a newbie and having invested in a serious instrument I welcomed the improvement it gave me, but didn't realize how much better it could be. I hesitated to "invest" in getting it worked on thinking it can't really make that much of a difference...

It did in this case and I suspect it could for many mandolins out there. I guess there should be a bumper sticker that says, "Support Your Local Luthier".
    Mark

Gibson A circa 1917
    Collings Mf 5 "Blackface"