Thread: 70's Alvarez A800 F mando

Default 70's Alvarez A800 F mando

Hi all,
    Below are pictures of an 70's-era Alvarez A800 F style mandolin that I've owned since being given to me by a birding friend back Dec 2004. It was my first mandolin and I'm looking to sell it to build up some funds for my next MAS attack. Can anybody suggest a good asking price for this model? I was thinking around $450-$500...does that sound reasonable? Also, how does it differ from the other Alvarez's that say "The Alvarez" on their headstock? Are the "The Alvarez" models a higher quality model?

Thanks in advance to answers to my above questions!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alvarez F style front headstock01..jpg 
Views:	650 
Size:	268.7 KB 
ID:	57053   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alvarez F style back01..jpg 
Views:	512 
Size:	169.9 KB 
ID:	57054   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alvarez F style front01..jpg 
Views:	1236 
Size:	207.7 KB 
ID:	57055  

Default Re: 70's Alvarez A800 F mando

It looks to be in fine shape. I have a 2 friends that have 70s alvarez mandos and they would not part with them for your price. I think the key is the sound. If it sounds good you will get a fair price.
    Click # 018

Thanks for the reply, Jim. Yeah, it's in really good shape and was kept in it's case since this person bought it in the 70's. Are the ones that your friends have the "The Alvarez" or has the headstock logo like mine?

Alvarez can be a really good sounding mandolin. You might have better luck selling it locally so your buyer can hear it.

And your price would be fine if it sounds like the Alvarez I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Fowler View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Jim. Yeah, it's in really good shape and was kept in it's case since this person bought it in the 70's. Are the ones that your friends have the "The Alvarez" or has the headstock logo like mine?
    Both are like your headstock. and have a good sound. I had an alvarez silver anniversary guitar and loved it. I looked for an Alvarez f from the early 70s and they are hard to find.
    Click # 018

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kirkland View Post
    Both are like your headstock. and have a good sound. I had an alvarez silver anniversary guitar and loved it. I looked for an Alvarez f from the early 70s and they are hard to find.
    I have an early 70's F style model A-800 that has vines inlaid in abalone on the headstock and the Alvarez symbol in the middle inlaid as well. It is an awesome sounding mandolin...very woody, loud, and plays well. I would not want to sell it as it is my favorite one, but I think a fair price for it would be around $700 - $800.

Man, what a beautiful mandolin.

I've got an Alvarez too, but it doesn't look nearly as pretty as that one.

That one looks just like mine, except mine's a "The." Bought it new, unseen, virtually blind in 1975, All I ever changed was the bridge from the (stock) rosewood single foot brodge to an ebony 2 foot and, frets. Never a problem with neck at all, slight top "sinking" issue now but, not serious. They only sold for about $450.00 new as I reacll but, I could be low. Your price seems absolutely reasonable, good luck and I hope whi becomes the owner keeps it in as good shape as you have. Mine's a bit rough, but, I bought it to use it, not be an ornament.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett