Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to Italy

Default Going to Italy

Taking my family to Italy for Christmas, where my daughter is in school. We're going to be in Florence, Rome, and Venice.

Any suggestions on cool mandolin shops in these cities?

Prob won't be able to afford to purchase one, but it would be cool to check some out.

Thanks in advance, mando-peers!!

Doug in Montana

p.s. Please no bashing because we're taking this trip. We've been saving for a looooonnnnnggggg time.

D

Default Re: Going to Italy

No bashing required. Italy is incredible. I was there last May. Italy is a phenomenal place - there is a reason why it is the most visited country in all of Europe.

Back to your question.

In Florence I found a lovely little instrument shop. It was closed when I was there, but I got to peak into the window. Floor was LOADED with wood shavings and a mandolin was on the bench. I'd go back in a minute.

Here's where it is:

If you are standing in front of the Uffize Gallery, FACING the gallery entrance, walk about a half a block to your LEFT.
    There is a plaza there, I believe it is called the Plaza Della Signoria. A lot of statuary in the plaza.

When you get to about the center of the Plaza, make a LEFT and walk to the 'bottom' of the plaza. On that far side of the plaza will be 2 streets. The shop is about 4 stores down one of those two streets on your right. (I believe it is the street more to your right than left). It is a SMALL shop, real old-world. Just mesmerizing, obviously no power tools.

I know that these aren't the best directions, but I think it might be worth the trip.

I hope this helps. I'm sure others will chime in with other shops with more specific info (Calace?). But since you are going to Florence (a spectacular city) and will probably go to the Uffizi Gallery, you're right near it. If you go to the Plaza Santa Croce (a much visited spot), you're only a couple of blocks from the Plaza Della Signoria.

And you are going to have a phenomenal time.

If you could sneak a side-trip to Cremona in, I'd highly recommend it...

Fabulous town, full of violins...

Here's the Cremona-Cam...

You would think that Cremona would look like the Cremona finish on the old Gibson guitars!

Registered User J. Galoshes Esq.'s Avatar

I don't know of any specific music stores for you to check out, but I do have a related recommendation.

When you're in Venice, get lost. I mean that literally. I spent three days there a few summers ago and my favorite experiences were all a result of venturing away from the touristy part of town. You'll find gorgeous relatively unknown churches and (here's the best part) tons of great, humble, street musicians with little to no panhandler shtick.

One of the most aesthetically beautiful moments of my life happened this way. My girlfriend and I stumbled upon a classical guitarist playing on the steps of an old stone church, and we proceeded to have an impromptu cheese-and-wine picnic on the ground in front of him as we took in the view and the tunes. It genuinely felt like we had stepped into the past - in the best way possible.

Enjoy your trip Doug, you're going to look back on it for a long time.

The last time I was in Venice, when I was there with my husband, we got lost. While being lost, we found a music shop where we bought a bowl back mandolin

When in Florence try taking a train or bus to Pisa, Sienna, San Gimnano, on day trips...
    In Venice use the Vaporetto (water-bus) to get to San Murano instead of taking a special tour...
    Get a mandolin and serenade yourself on a Gondola...

I don't know much about Italy except my grandparents on my mother's side were from Sicily. It's an incredible culture so it must be an incredible country.

Enjoy and come back and tell us lots of stories. Safe trip.

Carolyn
    Shawnee Creek F-style
    www.shawneecreekwoodworks.com
    Crafter Acoustic/Electric wallhanger
    www.carolynboyles.com
    www.livingwithspinalcordinjury.com
    www.colonialdevelopmentcommission.com (a website I moderate)

You will love Italy--I second getting lost in Venice, though I did not see any music stores at my stay there unfortunately...

I've always wanted to go there, been to a lot of countrys but never Italy.

Are you gonna bring a mandolin with you?

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Well, if it´s not tooo much out of the way for you, you ought to visit Corrado Giacomel in Genova.

Genova is in Liguria with great (sea-)food and nice red wine. If you are renting a car do it. Otherwise train transport gets you there nicely as well. The master bluegrass group Red Wine is from around those parts as is Massimo Gatti´s Bluegrass Stuff (Milano). There´s Bononia Grass from Bologna. Do never forget master mandolin player Carlo Aonzo.

My advice would be to get in touch with either of them. They are all very accessable and friendly. They could and I´m sure they would give you the best of advice where to go, what to see etc.

Have a fun trip and don´t forget to post about it.
    Olaf

When in Venice, avoid the temptation to go to Murano (glass blowers that are WAY more expensive than the same stuff on the Main Canal at Venice. A tourist trap for sure.( Instead, go to Burano, a tiny fishing village island that is incredible. Known for tatting.

I was recently in Budapest. Went to a small town (St. Andrews) about 20 minutes outside of the city. Climbed a passageway / alley up to the top of a big hill where one of the churches are (there were 3). Beautiful view of the city plus there were 2 locals up there - one playing a guitar, one a violin, doing Django stuff. Really special.

My gal is from Bologna, I go there often, have fun.

What is music without good food, wine and grappa?

Make sure you try the local cuisine those major cities are famous for (i.e., Bologna is where tortellini was invented; Milano for its bread & pizza dough, etc, etc).

Martino Coppo is a fine player & gentleman from Genova. You can contact him for info via the Red Wine band website: http://www.redwinemusic.net/jmla/index.php

Eat & Play Well!

John, I hunted down the same place iirc if Florence (Firenza!). I looked in; they were closed. You know those Italians- they close when they wish to and don't really care what anyone expecting otherwise cares. I've been fortunate to travel to quite a number of European/ Scandanavian countries. Even Egypt. Italy is my favorite. Only place I like better, maybe, is Yellowstone.
    By all means when in Florence, see the David. It will bring tears to your eyes to see what can be done with a large piece of stone. MHO.

Here's a club, in Florence, that might be interesting to see live music. I have no idea where it is. Here's a picture I took.

Some info about it from Lonely Planet. Sounds very cool.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/italy/fl...ghtlife/388935
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Europe 2007-2008 431.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	47834  
    Last edited by fishdawg40; Nov-25-2009 at 10:12am. Reason: More info

ciao doug! ... i haven't been but rome would be your best bet. i doubt venice would have any - maybe a few of those pocket mandolins the gondoliers traditionally play. i've only seen one mandolin for sale in firenze - in a tiny violin maker's studio near piazza santa maria novella (can't remember her name - an american from calif.). in italy, you won't find music stores like you have in the states - alas.

venice will blow your mind - it's everything you ever imagined ... firenze ... rome ... ahhh - stupenda! have a wonderful time - bill

nb - just read john's post (#2 - LKN2MYIS) ... we're talking about the same place. the luthier's name is something like "cardoza."

Doug,
    No matter where You go You'll have a wonderful time. i went to high school in Naples (a loooooong time ago) and found the people warm and friendly. Just a couple of pointers:
    • Carry Your wallet in a front pocket, if Your wife and daughter carry purses ensure they're under their arms when out on the street. Not to bad mouth all Italians, but they do have a sort of (well deserved) reputation.

• If this Your first trip out of the country, don't drink the water; stick to sodas, wine and such. Nothing can ruin a trip faster than being sick the whole time.

• If at all possible get out of the "touristy" areas. i'm not counseling staying completely away, but 10 to 20 minutes out of town there are still things to see that will make the trip much more memorable.
    Any musical stores i remember are way down south so i have no advice there.
    Florence and Rome are absolutely magical; Florence more so IMHO. Read up on the places before You go so You know something about it before You arrive. i've found it increases my appreciation of the places i've been.
    When You get back we can swap stories (Did i tell You about finding how to get into Cumae without paying the 500 Lira (.50) entrance fee?)

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Ludewig View Post
    John, I hunted down the same place iirc if Florence (Firenza!). I looked in; they were closed. You know those Italians- they close when they wish to and don't really care what anyone expecting otherwise cares. I've been fortunate to travel to quite a number of European/ Scandanavian countries. Even Egypt. Italy is my favorite. Only place I like better, maybe, is Yellowstone.
    By all means when in Florence, see the David. It will bring tears to your eyes to see what can be done with a large piece of stone. MHO.
    Dale and Bill -

That's the place!

Florence is one of the 2 cities outside of the USA I think I could live in.

That shop just looked like it was incredible. I was really disappointed that it was closed. And, being Italian, I can understand the mentality - time off is always better than being at work!

On the other hand, what a GREAT excuse for another trip
    to Italy . . . . . . .

In Plaza Santa Croce -

stand at the BACK end of the plaza facing the church. On the right side row of stores, right near the closest corner, is a little restaurant that has indoor and outdoor seating.

Order the lunch of "local cheeses and nuts". My taste buds danced with delight and my cholesterol went up 80 points. And worth it!

And go into that church at the end of the Plaza. Amazing. It seems every famous Italian in the world is entombed there: Galileo, Medici, Fermi, Marconi - the list goes on and on in incredibly ornate tributes. Each one a masterful work of a truly moved artist.

There is also a piece of statuary that was the inspiration for our Statue of Liberty. I think the work was by Bartholdi, and, if I remember correctly, it is upon his tomb inside the church.

I envy you this trip. You'll be awestruck. I travel often and all over, and Italy is one of my all time favorites.

Music - food - wine - history. Precious little not too like.

If you have the time when in Florence, take a side trip to Montacatini. Two-story carousel in the central park that is magnificent.

And try to stay out of the emergency room if you can avoid it. I got a ct-scan in Florence a few years ago because the right side of my face was tingling. There is nothing as frustrating as getting emergency medical care when no one speaks your language. Never got the bill for that one. I probably will if I ever go back.
    Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

In Rome there is the National Musical Instrument Museum - Museo Nazionale degli Strumenti Musicali di Roma, Piazza Santa Croce in Gerusalemme, 9/a
    00185 - Roma. It has a room full of mandolins, which are stunning and various other mandolin related instruments as well as everything else you can imagine. There is also something like another 80 mandolins in storage in the basement, and not enough money to do anything with them.

There is also the Embergher Museum, about an hour on the train south of Rome at Arpino. Alex Timmermann's website www.embergher.com has more info. I didn't get there, but it was highly recommended

cheers

graham

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Biorkman View Post
    And try to stay out of the emergency room if you can avoid it. I got a ct-scan in Florence a few years ago because the right side of my face was tingling. There is nothing as frustrating as getting emergency medical care when no one speaks your language. Never got the bill for that one. I probably will if I ever go back.
    I travel A LOT. Sometimes to Europe a couple of times a year. And, sadly, I can not speak any other language.

And I always try to stay out of emergency rooms!

Most European countries teach English to their kids from grammar school on. Most people speak a minimum of 2 languages, and one is usually English. On my trips to Italy, I rarely encounter anyone without a firm grasp of English, or at best is not standing next to another local who does.

Your experience was an exception by far. And VERY scary.

I've had visits with hospitals in Europe. One thing I ALWAYS tell travelers - take out travel insurance. And, no, because you charged your trip to your credit card doesn't mean they provide all the medical coverage you need. Travel insurance is designed for travelers for emergencies of all sorts, including medical, and well worth the small cost of it. Always check the coverage on any policy.

Not that long ago I accompanied an ailing friend to a European hospital emergency room. Well spoken and thoroughly educated staff. Two months after the incident they received a bill - full day hospital, hospital medications, tests, and prescriptions - under 400 US dollars. More than a good deal.

Be prepared with the appropriate insurance, but also be prepared for incredible music (the street musicians are usually great - usually at night by the Spanish Steps in Rome), wonderful food, delightful people, and intriguing sights. And OH, the gelato!!

You'll have a wonderful time.

I noticed that the further we went away from the touristy areas, the fewer people who spoke English. Out of seven or eight doctors in the ER, only one spoke English, and not that well at that. I'm going to Paris in January and you can bet I'll purchase traveler insurance. You never know what can happen.
    Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change

Chris -

That's the other city I could live in!

If this is your first time there, send me a PM. Lots of suggestions on stuff to do and things to know. Some important language stuff as well.

And simply TONS of music everywhere.

We went to some pretty 'unique' towns in Italy, and language wasn't a problem. Italy is the most tourist-visited country in the world. That's why I avoid overseas travel in the summer.