Thread: Opinions on Passernigs and Dearstones Please?

Default Opinions on Passernigs and Dearstones Please?

Hey folks,

Here's another couple of builders that are within my budget. I located these brands at Smoky Mtn Guitars which is within a short drive for me.

Opinions?

Thanks, Beck

Default Re: Opinions on Passernigs and Dearstones Please?

I own Passernig F5 number 36, which I've had for three years. Most players love their main instrument and are biased towards it but I'll do my best. Before it I bought and sold several, most notably a Collings MT2 and a Holoubek F5. And as long as we both survive, I won't be looking for another. I was looking for something similar to a Collings but more distinct and I found it (of course Stefan used to build mandolins at Collings). It is darker and more complex. It sounds beautiful in the low end and the high, has a wonderful woofy bark, a fast neck. I've played other instruments in its price range that were obviously inferior, and nothing as good.

It's also a beautiful instrument, even though the wood isn't terribly famed on the back and there's no bear claw or anything on the top. Stefan has never been interested in choosing wood for its appearance.

There's my two cents worth. I know there are many fine builders out there.
    Cary Fagan