Thread: Won't stay in tune

Unhappy

I've got problem with my newest mando not staying in tune, but just on the A strings. #I can tune the pair, but after just a few minutes of playing, one of them is flat. #I've tried to verify that the nut and bridge slots are filed correctly (angled back towards the tuners and tailpiece), and changed the strings, but that hasn't seemed to help. #Any suggestions? These are Grover tuners, and the mando was just strung up about 3 weeks ago.

I'd be there is slight bining on the nut or bridge grooves. Try lubricating them a little with graphite (pencil tip) and see if that helps.. if it does, you might consider having them cut a little wider or deeper. Great article on cutting nuts can be found somewhere on Frank Ford's www.frets.com
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

Is it always the same A string? If it is, it might be that the tuner is a little loose. oes that tuner turn too freely? You might take a screwdriver and gently tighten up that tuner. If it isn't always the same A string, you've got me.
    Forget with the cowbell, already...

KayBee
    I have run into the same problem on a specific Mando with Waverley tuners. ie the ones with the backlash adjustment on the wrong side of the worm shaft. When you tune up to pitch any backlash is taken up towards the tuning knob. When you have the string in tune any backlash is now at the inside bearing surface. ie there may be end clearance at that point. As you play, even though it is a worm and pinion arrangement. the tension of the string is trying to rotate the shaft into a down tune position or "Flat"
    Another situation is that since the string is quite heavy, large in diameter, it is very stiff and without outside windings to inhibit movement may have a tendancy to slip around the shaft if you do not have enough turns to prevent this....G

KayBee,

Search for the thread with almost exactly the same topic posted by Jasper. I had the same problem with both my A strings...graphite in the nut slots was the remedy.

Jasper