Thread: MARTIN BACKPACKER

I visited a music shop yesterday that actually had some mandolins (this is actually a miracle considering the area) and the wife and I saw the Martin Backpacker and it piqued our interest. I didn't have much time so I couldn't play it, but am looking for any feedback from those that have one of these or have played one. It sure is a unique looking little instrument. I've been playing for less than 6 mos. and already have 2 mandolins inluding my MMS-2 F so this wouldn't be my primary instrument, at least right now. Can you say M-A-S? I knew you could! Thanks for any responses here.

-Tom

I have one. Not much volume, but I like it that way for camp grounds. I have had too many complaints and tickets for noise in camp grounds.

I would never consider one as a primary or a secondary one.
    Gibson A9
    Eastman 804D two point, blonde

Nothing is fool proof for a talented fool

Chuck

They are certainly well built. However for the same price I would suggest you look at the Weber Sweet Pea. It is still a little smaller, but imho has a better tone. Don't expect to sit in with Chris Thile playing either one, but for me it is easy to pack with camping gear on my motorcycle. Better than no mandolin at all
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

FYI, Lark in the Morning has a travel mando also. It is made by Medieros Wood 'n Music in Loveland, CO. It is a little more expensive that the other two, but I like it. I have had one for over five years and it has survived some rough travel without a scratch or a problem. It is also louder than the other two and it has a wider neck, which I like.

I had one that I 'unloaded' to a friend. He loves it, I didn't. The one time I took it camping, my buddies told me it sounded better when I kept my gloves on. LOL! Which was true, BTW. It sounded pretty cool with that soft muted tone.

Also, it has the same issue as the Backpacker guitar, in that the shape has a tendency to slip downwards, sorta the way an Ovation guitar does.

Overall, a well made instrument, but not a good fit for me. I opted for a regular size mandolin to take camping.

- Benig

Save your money. #They're a cute novelty item but IMHO, they don't really sound like a true mandolin. #The Weber Sweetpea would be a better investment for about the same money. #

Personally, I'd be saving my cash for my next upgrade. #FWIW. #

I still don't see too much point, mandolins are tiny already! Though I think I remember seeing an ad for a backpacker uke, which makes even less sense... Oh well!

I think the BP of mine does a fair job at cutting thru at a decent volume.
    After the winter busking topic awhile back, which gloves did you like best (tone) wool polarfleece or leather?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by
    I still don't see too much point, mandolins are tiny already!
    This is a fair point, but everyone's situation is different. I travel every week, flying out every Monday morning, flying back every Friday afternoon. Every year, the airplanes, and their storage spaces, get smaller and they pack more people on, trying to stuff more stuff in the overheads and banging other people's stuff around. Anything I can travel with that is even a little smaller, lighter and more durable adds up to making these trips less of a hassle. I have looked at all the options. For me, a travel mando is the difference between having a mando to play in the hotel room at night or not playing all week.

"They are certainly well built. However for the same price I would suggest you look at the Weber Sweet Pea. It is still a little smaller, but imho has a better tone. Don't expect to sit in with Chris Thile playing either one, but for me it is easy to pack with camping gear on my motorcycle. Better than no mandolin at all"

Well I too vote for the slightly smaller and better sounding Sweet Pea. As for the above quote, unfortunately my scanner is dead or I could post a pic of Chris Thile playing MY Sweat Pea after one of his shows. He sounded better on that little thing than I do on my Collings. It was all VERY depressing! Just shows that a great player can make anything sound good.
    I will give up my Collings "A" when they pry it from my cold dead hands!

Thanks for all the responses! I guess what stood out about the Martin was the shape. I know this would not be an upgrade, but I got the impression that this one (for the price) would sit alright with the wife! LOL! And it would be different. You have definetely given me some things to think about. I appreciate it.

-Tom

You may be right about it "sitting right with the wife". I mentioned to my wife that I would like to get a travel mando to take when when we went on holiday and on our bicycle trips, (regular size will not fit in the trailor). The next thing I knew she had ordered me a Sweet Pea. Got it a couple months ago and it is going to just right for traveling, very light easy to play and a little smaller than the Backpacker.