Thread: Are you a Gaelic Speaker?

Default Are you a Gaelic Speaker?

Just curious if there are any Gaelic speakers that visit the Cafe, and if so what are your feelings on a fifty-five year old mandolin player teaching himself ( To speak Gaelic)

Sandy
    Last edited by Sandy Beckler; Mar-21-2010 at 9:22pm. Reason: make things a we bit clearer...

Default Re: Are you a Gaelic Speaker?

I'm not fluent by any stretch but understand enough to be able to watch the programmes on our Irish language telly station back home, TG4. More power to you if you'd like to learn Gaelic but it could be tricky trying to learn on your own. I took 2 semesters worth of Irish a few years back as a refresher and folk in the class with no previous experience really struggled with the pronunciations and inflections. That said, it's the 21st century and there does be all kinds of resources available online now to help you I'm sure. As you're in California, you also might want to look into the annual Irish Language Immersion Weekend, which happens up in San Francisco in October:

http://www.grafxsource.com/Gaeilge/D...eachtaine.html

Of course I'm also being presumptuous here and assuming you're asking after learning Irish Gaelic, as opposed to Scots Gaelic....

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

I don't even know if I have Celtic heritage for sure (though the only other person outside my family that spells our name the same (Gwin) has claimed to be of Irish descent). Even so, I sure get goosebumps when I hear a song rendered in Gaelic. Here's one in Uist/Scots Gaelic. Yikes.

PS: I did a "teach yourself Irish" tape a few years ago. Didn't retain much. Slainte!

It might seem obvious to say it, but Irish and Scots Gaelic are not the same language so you are going to have to decide which you want before you start.

I have tried to learn a few times but believe me it is quite a lot of work and you are going to have to allow a lot of time.

I know Julie Fowlis, actually. She lives not far away from me. Over the years I have done a lot of work with Gaelic organisations but I'm afraid I don't speak it.
    David A. Gordon

Don't speak it but have been around it when in Scotland. Enjoy reading the traffic signs in Gaelic. The older you are the harder it is to learn a new language, but if you want to, do it. I speak conversational French and use it in Paris, but I learned when I was in high school.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1968..jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	56581  

My grandmother was very insistent that all of her grandchildren be able to speak her Gaidhlig (Scots Gaelic). She was born on the island of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides around 1900, and was very proud of that heritage.

Learning a language is like learning music. You need to hear it. Try to find someone within some reasonable distance with whom you can converse at least occasionally.

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

I think, but this could stand to be corrected, that its 'Gaelaige' for the language spoken in Ireland and 'Gaelic' for Scotland. They may be two different languages but, if you hear the differences i pronunciation between Irish spoken in the North of Ireland and the Irish thats spoken in the South, you might come to the conclusion that they're different languages too.

My mind has done a fine job of wiping most of the Gaelaige from the concious parts of my brain, but i think its still buried down there somewhere, surfacing every so often when i'm trying to think of french phrases.

After a mandatory 12 years at school you'd think that you'd be fluent, but, at best I can only, get by in passive Irish, listening, television and such but don't ask me to speak it as i'll murder the language. Thats the problem for everyone.if you live outside the Gaeltacht, the Irish speaking regions, you just don't use Irish on a regular basis and it just gets buried.

If you want to learn any new language then i say more power to you, especially if its an endangered language such as Gaelic/Gaelaige/Manx/Welsh/Cornish. The more people that try to gain a footing in these languages the more relevent they'll become for everyone.

Hopefully if the link works it'll bring you too an amusing short film, nine minutes or so, on the subject

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA0a62wmd1A

I think the word Gaelic is the Anglicized word for Gaidhlig. Your point about Gaelaige and Gaidhlig being distinct though closely related languages is very true. I haven't traveled in Ireland so can't speak to the differences between north and south, but have heard that before as well. My early years were spent in New Brunswick, then Nova Scotia in the north near Cape Breton. In that part of Canada there is a mix of populations with both Irish and Scottish heritage, so I heard both spoken, but with a lot of local variation.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M.Marmot View Post
    Hopefully if the link works it'll bring you too an amusing short film, nine minutes or so, on the subject
    "...did you know that Paddy could speak Chinese?"

I know a few phrases but couldn't survive a conversation. However, I am playing music with my wife - she sings, but has her difficulties with the English language. Now we found out that the phonetics of Gaelic were much easier for her, so sometimes she does learn a Gaelic song purely phonetically by ear (here is a recording, judge for yourself). That way, the beauty of the language can be made to work for you even if you don't take the hassle of grammar. I admit, that's not really learning the language, though, at least not like an adult person is supposed to do it; it's more like a baby child is supposed to do it, and wouldn't that be a feat at over 50?
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by M.Marmot View Post
    I think, but this could stand to be corrected, that its 'Gaelaige' for the language spoken in Ireland and 'Gaelic' for Scotland. They may be two different languages but, if you hear the differences i pronunciation between Irish spoken in the North of Ireland and the Irish thats spoken in the South, you might come to the conclusion that they're different languages too.
    The term "Gaeilge" is also used to refer to the Irish language.
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenwood View Post
    I haven't traveled in Ireland so can't speak to the differences between north and south, but have heard that before as well. My early years were spent in New Brunswick, then Nova Scotia in the north near Cape Breton. In that part of Canada there is a mix of populations with both Irish and Scottish heritage, so I heard both spoken, but with a lot of local variation.
    When I used to study Irish back in school, i learned it with a Munster dialect, which i remember rightly tends to flatten and broaden the sounds, when doing aural comprehension i could manage with Leinster irish, could just about cover connaught Irish but had nary a clue when the Ulster dialect started up, the difference, for my ears at least, can be immense.

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    "...did you know that Paddy could speak Chinese?"

I know a few phrases but couldn't survive a conversation. However, I am playing music with my wife - she sings, but has her difficulties with the English language. Now we found out that the phonetics of Gaelic were much easier for her, so sometimes she does learn a Gaelic song purely phonetically by ear (here is a recording, judge for yourself). That way, the beauty of the language can be made to work for you even if you don't take the hassle of grammar. I admit, that's not really learning the language, though, at least not like an adult person is supposed to do it; it's more like a baby child is supposed to do it, and wouldn't that be a feat at over 50?
    I say well done to your wife, that was a fine effort, and far better than i could manage if asked.

Its one of my ambitions to learn a few songs in Irish, i'll get around to its someday i hope.

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    The term "Gaeilge" is also used to refer to the Irish language.
    Thank you, that is the correct spelling... i guess i'm even more rusty than i thought

That's good to hear. Certainly give it a lash and don't be easily discouraged. There used to be a cassette-tape course with a picture book that wsa quite good - Buntus Cainte (the Beginning of Speech) - I used it with my kids when they were younger, but alas their hearts weren't really in it... It gladdens my heart to hear it spoken or sung.

Ó labhair an teanga Ghaeilge liom,
    A chuid mo chroi a stór,
    An teanga a labhair mo mháithair liom,
    In Éirinn ghlas fadó.

'Sí teanga bhinn ár sinsear í,
    An chaint is milse glór:
    Is bain dem'chroí an brón.

'Sí teanga cheart na nGael:
    An teanga bhinn is ársa 'ta
    Lé fáil ar fud an tsaoil.

A stór mo chroi is beannacht ort,
    A chailín óig gan cháim,
    Cá bhfúil sa saol aon teanga mar
    Ár dteanga féin le fáil?

I've never used any of the Rosetta Stone instant-immersion CD-Rom courses, but they do offer an Irish course if you can't locate any proper classes in your area. (Sorry, no Gaidhlig, only Gaeilge )
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

I really should have been more specific in my original post....My area of interest would be Irish Gaelic, and I understand that there are three dialects of "Gaeilge" (Gaelic) those being: Ulster in the North, Connacht through the middle and Munster in the South.
    I have no illusion or intention of becoming a scholar of "Gaeilge" I would just like to educate myself as to the basics, this is the least I can do to pay homage to my relatives and heritage. (Sligo and Cork)
    Thanks to all who took the time to respond.
    Sandy

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Beckler View Post
    I have no illusion or intention of becoming a scholar of "Gaeilge" I would just like to educate myself as to the basics, this is the least I can do to pay homage to my relatives and heritage. (Sligo and Cork)
    Thanks to all who took the time to respond.
    Sandy
    I like that, i think it would be a fine homage.

I wish you luck.

Hey Sandy -- I just found The Celtic Arts Center in nearby North Hollywood via a quick google. It appears they offer both Gaidhlig and Gaeilge classes, and also host seisiúns if you are so inclined.
    Last edited by Jim MacDaniel; Mar-22-2010 at 2:38pm.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Thanks Jim,
    As ironic as it may seem, I actually grew up a block away from that location. I'll check it out.
    Sandy

There is a DVD series called "Turas Teanga" that is a fairly easy to follow conversational Irish course:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0717137597/...l_5505jqg99x_b

Also, "Progress In Irish" is a pretty standard text, which I find really helpful when I'm trying to refresh my very hazy memory for Irish:

http://www.amazon.com/Progress-Irish...ref=pd_sim_b_8

Cheers,
    Jill
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

I am currently studying music and Irish at UCC in Cork. It is definitely a challenging language in the beginning - the pronunciations and spelling of many words are mind-boggling at first, but I would certainly recommend you go for it (and learn the Munster dialect :D ). And if you ever visit they will love you for knowing some Irish! It's also worth it to visit for the music alone.

Yes - Gaeilge is what they call it down south, if speaking in Irish. If you are using English it is generally 'suggested' that you say Irish, not Gaeilge. Very similar to French/Français, or any other Anglicized language names.

At one time, I could carry on simple conversations in Irish (but it's nearly gone now). I was interested in the songs, and happened to luck out in college: a linguistics grad student taught an Irish class for free. You just had to buy the book. He was using it for his Masters thesis, regarding how people learn language. I took the class twice. I still have the copy of Buntus Cainte around somewhere.
    "Be kind to the band; they never get to dance"

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

I shopped for courses in Irish some time ago, several years, and I was pretty universally told that the courses are all based on Connacht pronunciations. fwiw...

I still work at learning it. Brian Matthew Hart in St. Louis teaches it well, but I've only been able to do a couple of short courses with him.

When we've been in Ireland we picked up quite a bit quickly, but I didn't retain it very well.

There are times when I've been listening to some music and that wonderful little light bulb went on over my head because I could hear (and sort of see, too) the connection between the way the language and the music connect. That's a moment of particular joy.

So that's why I keep at learning the language.

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2