Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best Blue grass Guitar

Highly Lonesome Marty Henrickson's Avatar

Default Re: Best Blue grass Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by jv nc View Post
    I'm betting he didn't buy the last one.
    No problem with me if everyone wants to keep discussing bluegrass guitars (I would personally like to try every guitar listed in this thread!), I just wanted to make note of the fact that it was an old topic (for those that are still trying to help the OP), and that he did buy a guitar (see post #59, above).

A little background information: Nelson and I have an ongoing off-list conversation, so I was a little surprised when I saw this topic, as he had never mentioned to me that he was in the market for a guitar. I was about to dive in with a lot of advice for Nelson, until I noticed that the original post was from 2006.
    Gibson Jam Master A-Standard #56
    Martin D-28 Clarence White #103
    Gallagher Doc Watson

www.instacanv.as/martyhenrickson

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henrickson View Post
    For anyone who is thinking of giving the OP advice on guitars, note that this thread originated over 6 years ago, and he already bought a guitar.

That being said, I have a 2003 Martin D-28 CW that IS the ultimate bluegrass guitar, and is NOT for sale.
    How dare him go and buy a guitar before we were finished, the nerve of some people!
    Never Argue with an Idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I must have a different calendar, the first post seems to have been made on March 18, 2010, a little over 3 years ago.

Highly Lonesome Marty Henrickson's Avatar

You're right, I should probably be more accurate when I'm policing thread dates. I must've gotten my old threads scrambled.
    Gibson Jam Master A-Standard #56
    Martin D-28 Clarence White #103
    Gallagher Doc Watson

www.instacanv.as/martyhenrickson

Mandolin addicted...So? Pete Counter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    I must have a different calendar, the first post seems to have been made on March 18, 2010, a little over 3 years ago.
    Some people are SO impatient!

6. The following members say thank you to Pete Counter for this post:

I would vote for a Collings D1A, I love mine!

With the Budget that you have you have a lot more options than a Martin or Gibson. Take a good long look at Bourgeois Guitars. Take a look at the Banjo Killer or the Country Boy with an Adirondack top. These Guitars stand way out from the rest and are some of the Truest Bluegrass Guitars to come about in a long time. Want sustain, sound and volume with a growl, then take a good look at Bourgeois.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyGuitarMan View Post
    I would vote for a Collings D1A, I love mine!
    Do y'all think Martin or Collings is a better way to go as far as bluegrass guitars go? Also...I can't decide what width neck is better for bluegrass. Do you think it's better to have a narrower neck that might allow you to pick faster since the strings or closer together? Or maybe a wider neck? Too many choices!

Devin - Country Guitar Online

In an effort to keep this zombie thread alive and build my post count, I'd like to submit that you check out my YouTube channel. I've been recording most of my customer's instruments for the past 2 years and you'll find examples of most of the instruments mentioned in this thread, some of which (like the 2 D-18 A's vs a D-18 GE, or the 3 D-18 GE's, or the D-18 GE vs HD-28 LSV, or....) are head-to-head comparisons for your listening and dancing pleasure. There's a 3-way Krishot shootout on there, too. And some Telecasters. Lots of stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nmhighplains

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bryankimsey For This Useful Post:

I may be a bit bias since I just bought one, but my vote has to go to the Martin HD28. I've tried a number of different guitars and I kept going back to the 28 series Martin. This particular HD sang out to me, and said take me home. It only took me 25 years to decide on a guitar.
    To play or not to play? Well that's a silly question.

2009 J.Bovier F5 Dorado
    2012 Eastwood Mandocaster
    2013 J.Bovier A5 (prototype)
    1984 K.Yairi AR352
    1980 Ovation Custom Ballader
    2012 Martin HD28

Lots of top notch stuff available in the upper range of your budget. Since Martin has been well covered above I'll suggest checking out offerings from Collings, Huss & Dalton, Santa Cruz and Bourgeois. Especially used ones. One of the most underrated and best kept secrets I've ever played was a Santa Cruz, hog, D P/W dread. If you can find a used one they usually sell in the low to mid $2000 range. Superb sounding guitar.

Tom
    Gibson F-5G (Harvey signed, Oct. 14, 2014)

I tell ya what, there isnt a better sounding sub 1k new BG guitar than the Eastman E10D IMO. Adi/hog, scalloped and a hoss not only for the $ but just a great guit period. The E20D (adi/rw) and E8D (sitka/rw) are also fantastic. Best things going out there for the dinero.

I've owned a lot of guitars over my 30 years of playing and I recently acquired a 2008 D18V from Morgan Music that is in my opinion as close to perfect for playing bluegrass as can be had.

Yeah....zombie thread needs more posts!

The weekly jam I attend has a normal Martin HD-28 count of between 3-5 (including mine when I switch off the Gibson A). Occasionally there's a Taylor or Seagull or Collins. But when the 5 of us have the HD 28s going its a guitar army worthy of challenging the usual phalanx of banjos (one week 9 of them critters!)
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

Maybe buy used and broken in real good as long as the neck is set correctly and the action and frets are great. You probably need to figure out whether you prefer a 1 11/16" or a 1 3/4" neck (1 23/32" is inbetween those and a 1 13/16" is the widest I've seen on a custom bluegrass guitar. For most flatpicking guitars, the string spacing at the bridge is narrower than on fingerstyle guitars--I think the standard is about 2 1/8". Also, I have found that some people prefer very lightweight guitars while others don't really care too much about the weight unless the guitar is obviously too heavy.

For bluegrass lead, I think that very strong midrange and trebles are needed along wtih a strong bottom end that is not too boomy because you will have that boom in the mic problem.

It isn't about brand as much as it is about that individual guitar, just as long as it is built well by a well-respected luthier or shop. It needs to be road worthy and not too finicky in humidity and temperature changes. Dependable. I like an Adirondack top best for bluegrass and both rosewood and mahogany (and sometimes koa) are great but most people prefer one or the other. That's my 2¢.

I found my old post and shook my head. Honestly, I've much better guitars than I am a picker.

19. The following members say thank you to farmerjones for this post:

I own a Furch D34SR - a so called "Vintage Bluegrass dreadnought" - Sitka spruce/east Indian rosewood, ebony fingerboard and bridge, bone saddle and nut, African mahogany neck, hand-brushed semi-glossy finish, satin on neck, scalloped x bracing, herring bone purfling, white body and neck binding, ebony head-stock overlay - all in all a vintage looking guitar, almost identical to an Martin HD28. Furch makes the best quality instruments. Wherever I take it, always there is one musician or luthier that praises it dramatically. They are known in US as Stonebridge. The 34 is one of the top of the Vintage series. Quality selected woods, hand-made, sound absolutely amazing with 13-56 medium PBs - I use Martin MSP7200, or John Pearse 700M. Mostly DADFAD tuning- Beat an HD28 once in playability and sound. Would compare it to a Collings D2H more, but only from YouTube. In Slovakia, guitars like Bourgeois, Collings, Maton etc are rare. I installed a Fishman Matrix Infinity to it, got rid of the pickguard (will probably buy a transparent). Lots of the Martin bass, nice, long sustain, sparkly, not too muddy, sounds very alive. Reminds me heavily of a Santa Cruz D. For 2000euro, a best buy. Actually, I bought it second hand for half the price with the pickup and hard shell case. I cannot compare it live to any of the esteemed guitars on this planet, but I am convinced, it would hold its ground very well.

Jim1Hays

I have a Gibson LC-1 and I love it. I tried it along side the Martin and for my style the Gibson beat the Martin D28 hands down. It has excellent upper end and base sounds. I play Bluegrass and Country. I did not like anything about the Takamine. Whatever you get, make sure it fits you though. Too many people just pull one off the shelf and buy it because it is pretty. If it doesn't fit, you will not like it no matter what it is.

They are all different, two right next in production are going to have differences. Finding the one that fits is the most "sound advice"anyone could offer.
    I'll go stand in the corner now.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I bought a Larrivee D60 in 2003 and it is a pretty killer bluegrass guitar. Lots of volume and punch. Maybe not quite as bass heavy as some of the Martins, but plenty there. Mine is Brazilian Rosewood and Sitka Spruce. I think they've changed up the woods some since then. It was around $2k then.

I also have a Martin D16-GT and frequently play a buddy's guitar of the same model when we jam together. They are really great sounding guitars and come in quite a bit cheaper than a lot of other Martins. They are mahogany, so a little different sound than the rosewood, but they do really well in jams or band situations. Looks like they list for around $1500 now.

At the local music shop, they are a Martin dealer, I have played several different models. The D28s and even HD28s, I was not very impressed with. They are OK, but not the banjo killer most are after. However, there is a HD28V there that just blows me away with the punch and power and bass response. In those categories, it's the best guitar I've ever played. Like a previous poster, I don't care for the neck shape that much or else I'd be very tempted to buy it (I'm still tempted!).

Just realized how old this thread was...both times it died. Sigh. It's already typed now so I'll leave it.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Drew, the thread may be old but, the conversation never ends!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I've been on this forum for a few years but don't say much. Here's a topic that maybe I can add something to. I know the OP has found a guitar but that doesn't always mean the hunt is over.

Bluegrass is a demanding sport (music) and you need high-end equipment to even take part never mind succeed. So this is a great topic that will never end.

Here's my 2 cents: You have to decide if you are a martin guy or not. That can narrow it down a lot. Martin has a certain sound that a lot of people associate with traditional american music. Not saying they are better just that they have a sound that no one else has. Other great builders have great sounds but not the Martin sound. So, if you are a Martin guy, find an Authentic or GE or Vintage. If not, there are a lot of other builders out there.

Also, the hunt is not so much about finding the model as it is about finding "the one". I think it takes each of us a lifetime to find the answer to this question.

First choice (hard to find): Used Altman D1 (D-18 based) or D2 (D-28 based). Absolutely incredible guitars in every aspect. Outstanding tone, playability, and caftsmanship. Try Carter's Vintage Guitars in Nashvile or Smokey Mt. Guitars.

Second choice: Used Bourgeois Aged Tone Mahogany or Martin '37 D-18 Authentic.

Oops! Just noticed the last post on this topic was last April.

I have NEVER played a Gibson guitar that I liked, seriously not even one. On the other end of the spectrum, I've never played a bad Collings. In regard to Martin, I've played some I like and some I do not like. If you are buying without playing first go with Collings. If you can play them first, use your ears. I prefer mahogany guitars with adi tops. I'd recommend a Collings D1A. Good luck in your search.