Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best Blue grass Guitar

Default Re: Best Blue grass Guitar

I mentioned the Taylor Koa as it's a great sounding guitar that has a solid sound for both rhythm & lead playing, I would never go back to a guitar that gives access to only the 12th fret unless you're a strictly rhythm player.

Live Full, Love Deep

If I could play a standard dread sized guitar, I'd go with a very broken in guitar for bluegrass. Try out used Martin, Huss & Dalton, Santa Cruz...more. Buy one that speaks to YOU and they are not all the same--some are better than others--some are more lively, are lighter in weight, etc. You need easy playability, a guitar that is responsive to YOUR touch that has growl, power, and volume.

Fretsman, that Taylor koa is a beautiful guitar. The OP asked about a Bluegrass guitar, and Bluegrass players (and I'm not pointing fingers....I include myself in that group) are typically quite traditional in their choice of the look & sound of their instruments. That typically means a rosewood dread with a good bass response for rhythm, or a mahogany dread with prominent fundamental mid-range response for flatpicking leads and competing in the mix with...banjos. Although there are players....Dan Crary & Beppe Gambetta come to mind...who play Taylor guitars....these artists are generally classified as flatpickers, rather than Bluegrass musicians. Doc Watson, much revered by many of us, uses a guitar with a cutaway.....but Doc isn't considered a Bluegrass picker, by virtue of the fact that he doesn't perform with a BG band. There are many great guitar playing examples of the lead sound, but any recordings by Jimmy Martin or more recently James King...really nail that Bluegrass rhythm sound with (older) Martin rosewood Bluegrass Dreads. Clarence White, Kenny Smith & Jim Nunally all nail the D-18 mahogany sound.

Valid points Doc, I concede, but I feel a lot of it has to do with the picker rather than the pickee and those Gents could shine their styles on a variety of instruments, I like the overall adaptability with the Koa, it's got a nice range of sound and good action. I have the Rosewood/Spruce 710 BCE that has a distingushed and deep voice, but I love the Koa. It's got a sweet warmth to it's sound, It's not the bassiest, so to some it might be more tailored for lead?, but it's surely is not limited to it as it's full. I know Gibson's & Martin's are the norm and I realize the Rosewood & Mahogany offers the rich depth, but I recommend playing a few types. Go to the acoustic room at a local guitar center for research purposes and then gauge the available market, especially if vintage is desired. I have an old beat up (rich in character) Guild D-25 that is well rounded too and they can be found at or under $1,000, it doesn't have the lower fret access which I feel is a worthwhile grab that opens it up a little.
    Live Full, Love Deep

Mossman texas mohogany!

around 1800-2200

the have some 50+ year old wood to work with.

Hallmark. You're right on the money. Mossman's are a treasure. My buddy Greg Boyd has Dan Crary's personal one for sale.
    I'm still hoping to come across a mahogany Mossman that hasn't been mistreated, but it seems to be like looking for hen's teeth!

OP,

I think you made some cool choices, and I'm curious to hear how the older Tak turns out...as a connoisseur of inexpensive instruments, so to speak, I'd have probably gone the same route.

I'd like to throw a couple more considerations in for those checking this thread out as well...My father-in-law has a 1977 Alvarez Yairi spruce/rw that's basically a D-28 copy and is easily the best sounding dreadnaught guitar I've yet had the priviledge to play. They just got that one right, and you could find one at the lower end of your budget with some patience.

I also play a Guild D-40 spruce/hog (bought for 500 including case b/c of some finish checking) that's a really nice guitar...decent bass (though really pales compared to the RW Yairi) with very nice mid/trebles, good mix of playability/volume and it holds its own nicely in a jam, though it's admittedly probably better in a smaller group. Mine was made after Fender's aquisition, and I was very skeptical but went for it b/c of the price (and trusted the online dealer) and have been very happy with it. If I ever stumble across one of the older Guilds with the baseball bat necks and tank-like build, I'll probably jump on it, but I've been pleasantly surprised with my newer model.

A 1500 dollar limit can get you a LOT of guitar, especially if you're willing to look around, try some imports, and not care too much about the name on the headstock. And, with patience, sometimes you can get the name on the headstock, too...

Chuck

I too play both. I have a prewar and a modern D-18 Authentic. No question in my mind that the Authentic is the best Mahogany guitar made today. You can find used ones that are bit less than 5k. I think they are like the Distressed Master Models in that they sound as good at a fraction of the cost of the original. I onced owned a D-18 GE and the Authentic is a definite step up. I am a mahogany guy. Anyway, just my opinion.
    It doesn't matter . . . I'm going to WINFIELD!!!!!

Registered User Nelson Peddycoart's Avatar

First, the Nashville Flatpicker Takamine was really nice - very good tone, their cool tube preamp, a great neck profile, herringbone binding. All around it was a fine bit of work. At $1800, it should be. There was a flaw in it (buzzing when the B string was played), so I returned it. Otherwise, I would have kept it.

I did also get a predecessor http://www.takamine.com/?fa=detail&mid=1343&sid=64 to it for $1k. It is a discontinued model. The Flatpicker was an understated, but nice guitar. This one is a little more "blingish". Great tone and electronics, though. I think it is more rounded and lacks the punch one would want in a blue grass flatpicking guitar.

The F340S is a tremendous value for the money. I think I paid around $300 for it. The guitar is a 1974 model, so it isn't in mint condition. It is still in very good condition, though. It is punchy cannon! I would take it on a date jamming. I know she won't be the prettiest or youngest maiden there, but I know the other fellers would want to dance with her just once.
    Nelson
    Madison, Alabama
    --------------------
    2011 Duff F5
    1928 Gibson A

10. The following members say thank you to Nelson Peddycoart for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrassnate View Post
    Several people who come to the jams that I go to have Martin D-2r's and D-3r's. They sound good and can be had in the price range your looking at. Mabye even Less.
    When you speak of the above styles, I hope you know they are LAMINATED!,...to me, that says enough!

Rob Gerety wrote:
    "Also, you might want to look at Bourgeois, Collings, and Santa Cruz. If it were me I would be thinking about a good used Bourgeois or Collings."

I'll second that.

I've owned _many_ Martins, but none of them compares to my Bourgeois Country Boy Deluxe. SUPERB instrument, absolutely great. Bought it sight unseen off ebay (from Hill Country Guitars in TX), was as good out-of-the-box as anything I've ever owned.

I also have an old Santa Cruz Rice (1985) that was a good one.

Make sure you try a few Collings in both mahogany and rosewood. Some have called them "Martins on steroids". Try a D-1A and look around for their "CW" guitars in both rosewood and mahogany.

Also, try a Huss & Dalton if you find one.

Don't settle on Martin until you've seen what else is available.

Of the Martins out there now, if you're considering rosewood, I'd suggest the D-28CW "Clarence White" (got one myself). If you're considering mahogany, look at either the D-18GE ("Golden Era") or the "new 2012" D-18.

Budget? Consider Blueridge. I'm not turned on with thier ornamentation, but they have a great sound. My 2003 BR160 sounds as good as many Martin D28'S I've played. Not quite as good as my guitar player's HD28, but mine cost $1,500 less. I'm not as caring as to what name is on it.

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    I own a couple Martin dreadnoughts ('57 D-18, '70 D-41), but the guitar I'd recommend for bluegrass rhythm is the Martin HD-28. It's sort of a "reissue" of the herringbone-purfling D-28's that Martin made up until about 1947; lighter bracing, maple bridge plate, recommended for medium gauge strings or lighter only. There are a ton of them around; I think list is about $4K, but you can get them discounted under $3K, and lots of used ones on the market. I got one in the first year they came out, which I think was 1977, and played it for probably 20 years. Now I'm using smaller guitars pretty much exclusively -- Taylor XX-MC, Martin 00-28G/00-42 "conversion" -- so I traded the HD in, but it was a fine country-bluegrass guitar.
    I've got a 1977 HD-28(my only guitar), and though I don't play it much anymore, it's still a fantastic bluegrass guitar. Yes, other guitars (brand and size) are probably better for other types of music, but the HD-28 is great.
    Do you have any advice for aspiring fiddlers?
    I wish I had some sort of new advice. It's sort of like losing weight:
    Don't eat so much. --Barbara Lamb

15. The following members say thank you to Randy Smith for this post:

Sorry if this has been pointed out but the J45 has the short 24 and 3/4 scale. It tends to sound, "softer"? than the 25 and 1/2 Martin scale. That 3/4 of an inch makes a big difference.

The AJ is a long scale and would work very nicely.
    Flatiron 2MW
    Collings CJa
    Martin D15
    Tacoma EM9c
    30's Washburn Parlor
    Various electric guitars, basses and amps.

Mandolin addicted...So? Pete Counter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 300win View Post
    Personaly, I've never seen , heard, or played a Gibson acoustic guitar that was a BLUEGRASS guitar. Always heard the rule of thumb, Gibson mandolins and banjos, Martin guitars, and Kay bass fiddles for hardcore Bluegrass music. Now fiddles are a whole differant animal. I don't know any fiddle players that plays a new fiddle, they always want at least a 100 year old, Italian, German, or French fiddle. But for Bluegrass as far as guitars, Martin is king as far as factory made in my opinion.
    While I tend to agree with you, Im a martin D-28 or D-35 kinda guy, I was at spbgma last year and David Peterson had an old gibson southern jumbo(I think) and told me Bluegrass guys are missing the boat with the gibson guitar cuz we dont think they can keep up. I dont like the tonal quality for bluegrass as good as martin does even if it they ARE loud enough, but thats just my opinion. I certainly didnt argue with David.

The guitar that has impressed me the most lately has been a D 18A. Compared the Collings and D41 played beside it and it really dominated with its powerful and well rounded rich tone.

Blog Entries

The D-18A's are very good....I like them a lot better than the D-18GE's (though those are nice enough).

Personally, I prefer a D-18 for flatpicking lead and hard to beat a good old '28 for rhythm (they were good enough for Lester Flatt, Jimmy Martin and Larry Sparks plus one or two others). Speaking of which (good old D-18's that is) look out for Jack Lawrence's new CD due soon "Arthel's Guitar". Has Wayne Benson and Curtis Burch on there too!

http://bluegrasstoday.com/arthels-gu...jack-lawrence/

Jack told me the story on how he came by that guitar. It needed a lot of work, as Doc just had it lying around, unplayed for years. Jack has very good luthier skills, and worked for a time in J W Gallagher's shop...
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

20. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    Personally, I prefer a D-18 for flatpicking lead and hard to beat a good old '28 for rhythm (they were good enough for Lester Flatt, Jimmy Martin and Larry Sparks plus one or two others).
    I believe you can add Clarence White to that list.

Mandolin addicted...So? Pete Counter's Avatar

Tony Rices Herringbone D-28 never hurt HIS lead playing any!

I've noticed that folks love their Takamines and tend to stick with that brand. I've played a few, old and new - not my preference, but good for a variety of music. I've seen a number of folks lately preferring their Blueridge guitars to their old Martins - interesting. I've played several older Santa Cruz so-called Tony Rice models lately. Great sounding and playing guitars, but developing some structural issues due to light bracing. The Martin Clarence White model is consistently the best all around canon I've heard. Hard to find used 'cause folks keep 'em. Played some bluegrass last week with a fellow playing a fine Collins - superb. The very best bluegrass guitar I've heard and played is a 1955 Martin D28. The lady bought it new. It absolutely whipped some 1940s Gibsons that sounded great, too. So, again, it all boils down to what you want to do with it. Different preferred hammers for different tasks.

I own a '93 D-28 I bought new. It's 10X the guitar it was new........now. I wouldn't trade it for a new model. That's for sure. It's opened up, beautifully.

I play mostly bluegrass, now (fingerstyle player in my former life). I have a custom 000-28H that has the shorter scale...and it's a wonderful little guitar.

I see D-28's in the 20yr old range from time to time for $1500-1800. If something ever happened to mine, that's exactly what I'd buy to replace it.

Good luck.

I strongly concur with looking at Bourgeois, Collings, Huss & Dalton, and Santa Cruz. They all make outstanding bluegrass (D-18 and D-28 based) guitars. Also, the entire Authentic line from Martin...1937 D-18A, 1939 D-18A and the remainder of the new Authentic models. I have both a Bourgeois Vintage D Brazilian and Martin 1937 D-18 Authentic and they are the sweetest sounding guitars I've ever played. Above all else, get the best guitar you can afford. You'll never regret it.

Tom
    Gibson F-5G (Harvey signed, Oct. 14, 2014)

Highly Lonesome Marty Henrickson's Avatar

For anyone who is thinking of giving the OP advice on guitars, note that this thread originated over 6 years ago, and he already bought a guitar.

That being said, I have a 2003 Martin D-28 CW that IS the ultimate bluegrass guitar, and is NOT for sale.
    Gibson Jam Master A-Standard #56
    Martin D-28 Clarence White #103
    Gallagher Doc Watson

www.instacanv.as/martyhenrickson

Where does the time go?

For anyone who is thinking of giving the OP advice on guitars, note that this thread originated over 6 years ago, and he already bought a guitar.
    I'm betting he didn't buy the last one.