Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First images of the David Grisman/Eastman Lyon & Healy Mandola

Blog Entries

Default First images of the David Grisman/Eastman Lyon & Healy Mandola

Here are the first public pictures I'm aware of the prototype of the Grisman/Eastman project Lyon and Healy Mandola. It was hoped this instrument would be at the NAMM show in January but it didn't make it in time. I made enough of a pest about wanting to see it that they agreed to ship it to me for evaluation. We took these pictures today. This is the third in the series of instruments out of David Grisman's collection where Eastman takes a model and makes a "signature" copy. Previous models included versions of David's Corrado Giacomel and Bacon Artist mandolins.

I don't have a lot of experience with L&H mandolas, but I have played a fair number of their mandolins and find them to be exceptional instruments. Sadly, I wish more builders made copies of this line as they're fine instruments with a wonderful sound.

What I know about the instrument: first off, this is not a press release and I don't have access to specs, measurements, woods used, etc. I'm more interested in evaluating the construction, attention to fine detail, sound, and overall impression of the instrument. When I pick up an instrument, I want to know if it sounds like one I want to own and use for gigs.

What I was told: this is a copy of David's original brown-faced Lyon & Healy Style mandola with a slimmer neck. The neck on the next prototype will be even a bit slimmer than this I was told, and the angle of the neck will be a bit more acute to enable a bit more bridge height, ie., a bit easier to play and have more bite is the goal in mind. The neck is quite a beast, I'll agree, but most vintage mandola necks are, and I applaud this minor change.

Sound-wise this is a deeply rich sounding instrument, well balanced, and set-up well--fun to play and sounds marvelous. I'm guessing these are D'Addario J76 strings which are my normal choice. The workmanship is pretty much flawless, not unlike what I've witnessed on the Giacomal and Bacon models. Really, the only thing missing is a replica copy of the Lyon and Healy tailpiece, and I've often wondered why no one has ever attempted one. How many of those beautiful old models are missing their tailpiece? Plenty, and that's a shame. Maybe this will be the start of that changing.

While not set in stone, I was told the ballpark retail price will be around $2,895. That's about all I know. Mass Street Music took some of their own pictures of this last week and will likely be posting those this coming week. Enjoy the view. I'm sure enjoying the experience, and yes, I'd love to own it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0015..jpg 
Views:	1296 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	55731   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0013..jpg 
Views:	994 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	55732   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0016..jpg 
Views:	1050 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	55733  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0010..jpg 
Views:	1207 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	55734   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0019..jpg 
Views:	769 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	55735  

Blog Entries

Default Re: First images of the David Grisman/Eastman Lyon & Healy Mandol

One additional image I missed:

Name:	DSC_0012..jpg 
Views:	512 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	55737

Very nice looking. I love the dark 'burst.
    What's the scale length?
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

Blog Entries

One more. Last one, I promise.

Name:	DSC_0018..jpg 
Views:	457 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	55741

Well, that's just beautiful. I suppose I should just get out my checkbook now. I really love this line of mandolins and I commend Eastman for seeing it through. I sort of wonder how many of these really get sold. Are there really that many of us mandogeeks out there? I hope so, because I wouldn't mind a few more of these.

I recently acquired a DG-1, the Giacomel copy, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. I've always felt Eastman created a great-for-the-price mandolin, but I wondered if the the DG-1 would just feel and sound like an Eastman while looking like a Giacomel. I'm very pleasantly surprised; the DG-1 has a feel and a tone that are unique, and I find the overall quality of the instrument to be very high. I've never played a Giacomel, so I can't compare, but the DG-1 is a fine instrument in its own right.

I, too, am sorry that the L&H mandola doesn't use a reproduction L&H tailpiece. That would really be the icing on the cake, and I know I'd be happy to pay a bit extra for one. Interestingly, the DG-1 replictates the Giacomel tailpiece.

I wonder if there are any legal barriers to Eastman creating another Monteleone Grand Artist style instrument. Sure, it's been done before, but there are so few KM-DAWGs out there, I bet there's a good market for Grand Artist repros at this price point and this level of quality.

Absolutely stunning!
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

That looks really great. Impressive.
    Brian T. Walker
    Down beside the Alamo
    In the Lone Star State

"Ignorance is when you don't know something and somebody finds it out."
    -- Kenneth "Jethro" Burns

WOW! Although I'm partial to Gibson style mandos, I've always thought that L & H's were very elegant looking and nice sounding. I've always wanted a mandola too, just because. This one just might fill that wish.

Are they planning on doing a L&H replica mandolin?

I like the fiddlehead. More mandos need those to give the plectrum world some variation.
    "When I heard what Socrates had done on the lyre, I wished indeed even [I had done] that...but certainly I labored hard in letters!" - Cicero, "Cato the Elder on Old Age"
    Weber Gallatin Mahogany F
    19th Century Ferrari(?) Bowlback
    Early 20th Century British Mandoline-Banjo & Deering Goodtime Tenor
    1960s Harmony Baritone Ukelele
    The Magic Fluke Flea Soprano Ukelele (in 5ths!)
    1910 German Stradivarius 1717 copy, unknown maker
    1890(?) German Stradivarius 1725 copy, G.A. Pfreztschner, maker

"I wonder if there are any legal barriers to Eastman creating another Monteleone Grand Artist style instrument. Sure, it's been done before, but there are so few KM-DAWGs out there, I bet there's a good market for Grand Artist repros at this price point and this level of quality" - RichM

Rich,
    You beat me to the same question. I think that would be a cool offering from Eastman if possible.

Scott,
    Thanks for whetting the appetites of many! It's beautiful.

I would like a mandolin version.

Jim
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

wow, that is a looker!

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Quote Originally Posted by mandobuzz View Post
    Are they planning on doing a L&H replica mandolin?
    Well, if you don't count the peghead, the rosette, the bridge, and the tailpiece (in other words, the same inaccuracies present on the original DGM-2 Bacon repros), the 904D is the same shape as the L&H Model As. Not sure about the scale or graduations, though..

I think L&H fans would forgive most of the omissions, but the Gibson Florentine headstock is probably a dealbreaker.
    Last edited by delsbrother; Mar-01-2010 at 2:10am.

Pete Langdell's Lyon & Healy copy appears to have a repro tailpiece. So at least one builder has gone to the trouble.

I think a fair number of L&H owners would buy a repro if it were available ... but I don't know how many sales it would take to make a production run viable.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I'm not a fan of the cheap Elvis wig headstock, never have been, but the rest of that thing is gorgeous.
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

Quote Originally Posted by ColdBeerGoCubs View Post
    I'm not a fan of the cheap Elvis wig headstock, never have been, but the rest of that thing is gorgeous.
    I'm puzzled why they didn't choose to replicate the original headstock here, considering Eastman's violinmaking background (how many of these will be made, anyway?). I'm guessing they didn't want to do the tuner assembly, and since they went with regular rear-mounted tuners they were limited to the simpler headstock. But I would've preferred they go with something more like a Style B headstock than go half-way modifying the shape as they did.
    Last edited by delsbrother; Mar-01-2010 at 3:22am.

Too shiny. Looks like it was dipped.

Quote Originally Posted by delsbrother View Post
    I'm puzzled why they didn't choose to replicate the original headstock here, considering Eastman's violinmaking background (how many of these will be made, anyway?). I'm guessing they didn't want to do the tuner assembly, and since they went with regular rear-mounted tuners they were limited to the simpler headstock. But I would've preferred they go with something more like a Style B headstock than go half-way modifying the shape as they did.
    I was kind of wondering the same thing, but I just came to the conclusion that this is going to be mass market piece, and therefore the little tidbits would be missing.
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

Blog Entries

I really like this model (I like the asymetrical body even better). The burst looks great. Better than the bursts on other regular Eastman models IMO. I like that the mandola has the essence of the original L&H but dropped some of the problematic bits (vulcanized rubber for the neck sandwich and headstock faceplate, and pickguard) in favor of more stable wood. I would have loved a replica tailpiece but that's hardly a deal breaker, to me. I'm also glad they are taking some lessons from the prototype into the production model.

As for other instruments in the cool so far line, if a model is to be replicated from a currently living luthier or functional company, I would imagine Eastman must get expressed permission from the builder/company to make DG-model (like they did with Giacomel). Don't look for the DG-X Crusher Replica.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Hi Scott,

What is the tuning for this instrument? American mandola (CGDA) or European mandola (GDAE)?

Chris....

Oh man! What a sweetie. Not real excited about the HS, but the 2-point, barrel-back thing is really, really cool. An OM I just got a few weeks back is modeled after this design and the mid-to-bottom end is amazing. Very guttural and percussive.

I'm imagining the barrel back (or whatever you want to call it) has something to do with the augmented, or pronounced mid-lower end(?)

Looks like a fine build!

I, for one, don't mind the alterations. While I like the original bulkier headstock I think that, this having more modern looks in general, looks nice with the thinner back (and arguably more practical tuners). It's a nice looker "in the vein" of the original.

Quote Originally Posted by ColdBeerGoCubs
    I was kind of wondering the same thing, but I just came to the conclusion that this is going to be mass market piece, and therefore the little tidbits would be missing.
    The flat headstock similar to the one I linked to above would've been much easier to make. I'm not sure if there were ever Style B or C mandolas, but that shape would've appealed to me as an L&H fan more than a "hybrid" design (YMMV). As far as the tailpiece goes, after they declined to reproduce the Bacon one I didn't hold out much hope for the L&H, but there are always custom makers for these situations. I'm not springing for a new neck, though!

Quote Originally Posted by arcopizz View Post
    Oh man! What a sweetie. Not real excited about the HS, but the 2-point, barrel-back thing is really, really cool. An OM I just got a few weeks back is modeled after this design and the mid-to-bottom end is amazing. Very guttural and percussive.

I'm imagining the barrel back (or whatever you want to call it) has something to do with the augmented, or pronounced mid-lower end(?)
    I don't think this is a Vega cylinderback repro - though who knows, one might be coming! Pete Langdell (mentioned upthread as another maker of L&H repros) also makes cylinderbacks, though IIRC his are carved.
    Last edited by delsbrother; Mar-01-2010 at 4:36pm. Reason: clunky syntax

A L&H cello would be nice. I've only seen one of them but they are beautiful. Perhaps Eastmand could produce some repro cellos. It seems like cellos are becoming more scarce on the used market.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Acquavella View Post
    Hi Scott,

What is the tuning for this instrument? American mandola (CGDA) or European mandola (GDAE)?

Chris....
    Chris, it arrived tuned down just a bit from CGDA and I brought it up to that tuning.