Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two best mandolins 4 $1000

Default Re: Two best mandolins 4 $1000

I just went to the mandolin stores website and listened to a clip of the KM900 and was impressed. Who knows if it's just a good recording but for 1k it sounded very good.
    PJ
    Stanley V5

To the OP, if you want to purchase a mandolin that you will not lose money on when you sell later or decide to upgrade, then do not buy a Chinese built mandolin. If resale value is of no concern, then buy a Chinese mandolin, such as Kentucky, The Loar, etc. If I were you, I would take the suggestions already made and purchase a Gibson A-9, or a Flatiron A style. Chances are very high that if you purchase a Gibson or Flatiron, you will be able to get your money back when you sell. Chinese built mandolins are a dime a dozen and in my experience do not hold resale value as well as a quality American built mandolin. Good luck with whatever mandolin you choose.

Johns' point is valid, and will not be well recieved by many here on the board. Import mandolins are improving, some are really good. Just be aware that they are not strong in resale. I feel that entry-level, stateside mandolins represent a much greater value in the long run. I've owned Ibanez, Kentucky and Alvarez mandos. Lost money on every one. And they sounded dead. Used Flatirons are a deal, right now, and some Breedloves. Just my opinion. FWIW.
    Mike Snyder

old gibson oval hole a models can be had for that price and will hold there value. no not the best bluegrass instrument. great for fiddle tunes. good enough for norman and nancy blake and peter ostrushko than good enough for about anyone.

I had a Ratliff (Audey) A model that was great. Never should have sold it. I think some of the non-gibson mandos really rock! That Fraley is on my short list!

FWIW, I have played 2 A9 and a F9, none spoke to me. So don't just buy the headstock.

Kirk

Bought a used A9 a couple a month ago,and it's a great sounding mando!It has opened up amazingly during the last week, and I think there's even more to go on...great value instrument! But be aware that neck width and neck profile vary a lot.The A9 has got a beefy neck, but the nut is Loar era( at least some Loars!) narrow 1 1/16"If you come from guitar it might be a challenge..Another thing is if you prefer flat or radiused fingerboard. The A9 fingerboard is flat. So if you want an instrument with a wider nut and a radiused board, the Jam Master is the way to go if you stick with Gibson. But rumor says there are other mandos out there as well
    John

2002 Gibson A9
    1949 Gibson A40
    A couple of seventies Ibanez guitars
    1967 Hound Dog Dobro
    Eko 5-string banjo (terrible instrument!)
    Levin mandola
    Romanian zouk with no name
    German fiddle with no name either

PS!
    I didn't insinuate that BANJO is s terrible instrument as such, just the one that I've got..

Quote Originally Posted by John Evans View Post
    Chinese built mandolins are a dime a dozen and in my experience do not hold resale value as well as a quality American built mandolin.
    I'm a huge fan of American-made mandolins, so I'm curious about what you consider to be "holding resale value." I don't have a sense of the percentage of value that used Chinese mandos drop, but the Breedloves and Collings tend to drop at least 1/4 of their value, and I often see used Webers for 1/3 less than new ones. Do Eastmans, Kentuckys, et. al. drop even more than that?
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Quote Originally Posted by kinnjohn View Post
    I didn't insinuate that BANJO is s terrible instrument as such, ...
    You should never insinuate that.

You should come right out and say it.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by fiddledoc View Post
    I played the new Kentucky KM900 prototype at SPGBMA and was blown away. The rep said dealers should have them available very soon.
    I think that I may have bought that mandolin- I got it at Gruhn's yesterday and they said it was a SPBGMA sample. I am absolutely amazed how good this thing sounds- dry, woody, popping and loud! The fit and finish is excellent.
    Bill in Tennessee
    2005 Martin OM-28V
    2013 Stonebridge G22CR-C
    1994 Flatiron A-5 Artist

Blog Entries

1) The one you just bought.
    2) The one that just popped up in the classifieds.

Jamie

PS This seems independent of $X.

PPS
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +