Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new Arches flattops

Default new Arches flattops

I've ordered one of these, the last of the first batch. Some of you mentioned gettting one as well. I figure you must have them by now. What do you think?
    Last edited by mandolirius; Apr-30-2009 at 3:30am. Reason: typo

Default Re: new Arches flattops

Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    I've ordered one of these, the last of the first batch. Some of you mentioned gettting one as well. I figure you must have them by now. What do you think?
    I have one and LOVE it! Here is the thread for it:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=49840

If you're looking for an affordable, traditional, very well made flat top, you're gonna have a tough time finding something better than one of these little fellas.
    Last edited by Gerry Cassidy; Apr-30-2009 at 5:32am. Reason: Illiteracy! :-)

I've had the cocobolo model for a few weeks now and I'm delighted with it. Fit, finish and playability are excellent. I play Irish trad and have several flat tops and was looking for an oval with a different voice...loud, ringing, lots of sustain and overtones with a tighter focus and more projection. I really didn't want "tubby" and didn't want to pay more than a thousand. I was curious about the Kentucky 170s but didn't want a flat, narrow board. I've played a few Eastmans and just don't like them. I had more or less decided to wait for a used Breedlove 00 to pop up when Chris made these available and based on what people had said about his previous work though it was a pretty safe bet. I talked to him on the phone and we both thought the cocobolo was a good choice for me. Very nice fellow and followed up with emails to see if I was happy with the mandolin

I got in on the $800 w/ case price (less shipping)and if I saw this hanging on the wall of a store, I would have checked with a salesperson to make sure it wasn't accidentally underpriced. The neck feel and action are superb and it's beautiful to look at. The slight radius feels great and open string drones and chords ring out for a long time. You can do really nice legato phrasing with the notes flowing into each other nicely...very long decay time. The induced arch projects a bit more than my Parson's or Mid Mo. We play unamplified and a number of patrons at the session commented on how much they enjoyed the sound of my mandolin. My fellow musicians were quite impressed. I brought it to our friends house one night and while they love music they aren't players with a lot of knowledge of instruments. They commented about the sound and appearance for several days after our dinner party.

The only things I could see changing in the future would be replacing the stamped tailpiece with a cast one and maybe a one piece bridge in place of the adjustable. I'm in no hurry to do either and this is by no means a criticism of Chris or the instrument.

I'm no expert, but I would say this is really not a bluegrass machine at all. I do think it's one of the best values in the mandolin market right now. Even at the $950 price it's a real bargain and I'm really glad I jumped on mine when I did. For the kind of music I play, it's perfect.
    Steve

Now that there are Arches flat-tops...

Should we await Flatses arch-tops?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Thanks, Gerry & Steve, for the feedback. I was looking for something that was affordable and versatile. I'm having a pickup installed in mine and hope to use it for "restaurant" gigs, playing Italian stuff, light jazz and swing, some pop music etc. Now all I need to find is an accompanist.

I purchased the birds-eye maple version and I LOVE it. The workmanship and attention to detail are impecable. Quite loud with great sustain. It can be played quite vigorously without a deterioration of tonal qualty. Overall, a great mandolin that is a bargan for the asking price. It could probably even pull off bluegrass if you wanted it too. I bought it with the idea that it would be my "beater" mando. I may have to look at a Kentuky KM-174 to fill that roll now as the Arches is simply too nice of an instrument.

Anyone have a sound clip of these mandolins?

I think Gerry posted one (a.k.a arcopizz) on the other Arches flatop thread that's floating around - do a search for Arches flattops and you should be able to find that thread.

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    I think Gerry posted one (a.k.a arcopizz) on the other Arches flatop thread that's floating around - do a search for Arches flattops and you should be able to find that thread.

Cheers,
    Jill
    Whoops! Sorry folks. Don't have one up yet. I'm still setting up my music room. I suppose I could do a quick YouTube Vid, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to see my ugly mug on video?!!?

I'll see if I can get something turned out...

Quote Originally Posted by arcopizz View Post
    Whoops! Sorry folks. Don't have one up yet. I'm still setting up my music room. I suppose I could do a quick YouTube Vid, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to see my ugly mug on video?!!?

I'll see if I can get something turned out...
    Hmmm....there's always the strategy of positioning the camera so it's only looking at your gorgeous mandolin! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by instrumentality View Post
    Hmmm....there's always the strategy of positioning the camera so it's only looking at your gorgeous mandolin! :-)
    Ahhh... yes. Good point. Strategic camera positioning, and the 'Edit' function!

Cool beans. I'll work on it early this week, and see what I can come up with.

Ooh, here's an idea - we know that cafe members have bought the walnut, bird's eye maple, and cocobolo versions of the Arches flattops (any others lurking out there?), so what about doing something inspired by the "whiskey before breakfast" and CBOM polka challenges where the Arches owners decide on a tune and then each one submits a recorded version so we can maybe compare the differences between the various tonewoods? It's also kind of inspired by an experiment that Trevor of The Acoustic Music Co. did with 4 Old Wave oval A's awhile back.

Just a thought...

Cheers,
    Jill
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

WOW! I'm perfectly happy with mine, but this one looks pretty nice. I guess it's an older one(?). NFI!

http://www.themandolinstore.com/scri...idProduct=8877

Oh man! That is NICE! Wonder how long that's gonna last?

Cheers,
    Jill
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Ooh, here's an idea - we know that cafe members have bought the walnut, bird's eye maple, and cocobolo versions of the Arches flattops (any others lurking out there?),
    Yup, I bought the zebrawood one (or as it turns out one of the zebrawood ones) and reviewed it in the other thread. And I think we may have another zebrawood Arches owner out there soon (he said mysteriously....)

When mine arrives, in about two weeks, it will a mahogany version.

I really like the look of that Zebrawood version. Would love to know what that wood sounds like. This is a very nice looking reasonably prices instruments. Great job Chris.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Ooh, here's an idea - we know that cafe members have bought the walnut, bird's eye maple, and cocobolo versions of the Arches flattops (any others lurking out there?), so what about doing something inspired by the "whiskey before breakfast" and CBOM polka challenges where the Arches owners decide on a tune and then each one submits a recorded version so we can maybe compare the differences between the various tonewoods? It's also kind of inspired by an experiment that Trevor of The Acoustic Music Co. did with 4 Old Wave oval A's awhile back.

Just a thought...

Cheers,
    Jill
    I PROMISE ( ) to start working on a video today. The last hurdle is finding my camera tripod... it's in one of 40, or so moving boxes down in the basement!

Cafe members back and sides count for the Arches to date:

-walnut
    -birdseye maple,
    -cocobolo
    -zebrawood
    -mahoghany

Anyone else lurking out there with something different? Who got the Tasmanian Blackwood one??

Cheers,
    Jill
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Quote Originally Posted by RichM View Post
    And I think we may have another zebrawood Arches owner out there soon (he said mysteriously....)
    Um....that'd be me!

I'm trying to get my hands on the zebrawood one that Chris is finishing up now. It's a prototype model, so it looks a bit different than the others (different binding, rosette, and headstock). Chris still has a blackwood model available if anyone else out there wants one.

This will be my first mando...I'll post a full account of my decision process (a big thank you to all the cafe members who helped me!) once this Arches is a done deal...for now, pictures!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	42130   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	42131   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headstock.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	42132  

I have Arches #3, which is a maple flat-top. A lot less fancy than the newer ones, but it sounded so good I ordered my F4 from Chris. Both are still great mandos.
    Fiddles
    Arches F4 / Newson F5
    Crump B1 / Old Wave GOM

Well done, Gianna - what a great first mandolin!! Looking forward to hearing more about it..

Cheers,
    Jill
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

OK, it's just a bit more official now! I just talked to Chris on the phone and gave him all the necessary info...so now I just have to wait for him to put a strap button on it and it should be shipping on Monday!

Off topic, but, we had our first Boston Beginner's Jam last night, all folks from the cafe. Can't wait to be able to show up at the next one with an actual mandolin (I brought my fiddle this time...)!

Quote Originally Posted by instrumentality View Post
    OK, it's just a bit more official now! I just talked to Chris on the phone and gave him all the necessary info...so now I just have to wait for him to put a strap button on it and it should be shipping on Monday!

Off topic, but, we had our first Boston Beginner's Jam last night, all folks from the cafe. Can't wait to be able to show up at the next one with an actual mandolin (I brought my fiddle this time...)!
    Alright! Way to go, Gianna!

It's a GREAT first mando.

I see someone has already snapped up that lovely, older Arches flat top that was at the Mandolin Store. Did it go to a cafe member I wonder?

Cheers,
    Jill
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel