Thread: Info on Silvestri Mandolin 1891?

Default Info on Silvestri Mandolin 1891?

I am attaching pictures of a vintage Mandolin I got for a Valentine Gift. I searched the internet and wasn't able to find much out about it... If anyone knows anything...please share it with me, as I am quite curious. Serial No. on label says No.26/F
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandolin Label 2.JPG 
Views:	591 
Size:	369.3 KB 
ID:	50240   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandolin Top view.jpg 
Views:	635 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	50241   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandolin-side view.jpg 
Views:	559 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	50242  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandolin Label.JPG 
Views:	332 
Size:	306.4 KB 
ID:	50243  
    Last edited by jojo; Feb-14-2010 at 6:07pm. Reason: adding info

Default Re: Info on Silvestri Mandolin 1891?

Silvestri was one of many luthiers based in Catania in Sicily, which was the centre of the Italian massmarket instrument industry in the late 19th/early 20th century. Catania instruments were generally somewhat more modest and more populist than the top makers from Naples or Rome, but stand up well against more generic of the Naples makers. Within Catania, there was a wide range of qualities, with somebody like Puglisi at or near the top and somebody like Miroglio rather less distinguished. I have not played any Silvestri instruments (although they pop up quite frequently on Ebay etc), so I can't say how they compare.

Yours is quite pleasing in design, although the fact that a large chunk of the soundboard has torn out at the rosette indicates that the routing for the rosette inlay was too deep. This will be difficult to repair, but you may be able to live with it. How is the action? It looks rather high on the side-on view, but that may be an optical illusion.

Regarding the date of 1891, if I read the label correctly, this refers to the founding date of the Silvestri luthier shop, not this particular mandolin. I would think yours is more likely around 1910 to 1920 -- its design is influenced by Calace design features dating from those years, in particular in the shape of the headstock.

Martin

Default Re: Info on Silvestri Mandolin 1891?

Oh Thank you so much for the information. The photo may show the action to be a bit high...but on observation (in real life) it seems to be about right. The strings of course need to be changed. I am planning on keeping this...as it was given to me by a dear friend. I am however looking for a luthier, or information that may tell me how to properly clean it, without doing any damage. The wood appears to be in good condition...not dried out, and the ribs are tight. From what I can tell it has about 21 ribs...
    Once again...thank you for the information..
    JoAnn Hite
    ladyjo1957@yahoo.com