Thread: Kona Signature F-Style Mandolin

The Pickin' Firefighter

Default Kona Signature F-Style Mandolin

I am unsure where this would go (I hope this is the right place)

I was perusing the guitars at a pawn shop and saw a F-style mandolin that said it was a "Kona Signature" mandolin (there was not a model # on it)... it was not in the greatest shape but with a couple of strings it would be playable, my question is this... are these any good for a beginner? it did have a solid carved top, but when I came home all the Kona mandolins I found online were A-style.

does anyone on here know about them? or have some knowledge to share?
    I am pretty new to the Mandolin but I enjoy learning all I can about this great instrument.

Thanks!

Default Re: Kona Signature F-Style Mandolin

Kona appears to be a run-of-the-mill Chinese factory instrument, so I suspect their quality and performance may be spotty at best. If you are looking for a decent budget mandolin, Kentucky's new A-style models tend to be some of the more-often recommended sub-$500 (USD) instruments here in the forums as of late (e.g., the KM-161/162/164 & KM-171/172/174 are <$300 new, and the KM-505 run ~$480). I myself have the KM-172 (pictured) that is fun player and great value IMO, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it from first hand experience.

Do you have a decent music store in town that stocks a variety and wide price-range of mandolins? If so, you might want to visit them to get a feel for what sings to you, since nothing beats checking out an instrument in person, at a store that does a proper shop setup before putting an instrument on their wall.
    Last edited by Jim MacDaniel; Feb-06-2010 at 7:19pm.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

I bought one of their A Ovals. It was a real piece of junk and I sent it back. I would advise against the Kona and I would second Jim's suggestion.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

The Pickin' Firefighter

Yeah I figured it was not the best mandolin but I wanted to make sure.

I was actually not considering it for me, I know of someone who was thinking about starting and the price was low enough.

I do actually live close to a couple of decent music stores in my area, the only think is they are not all that big where I live so the Mandolin selection is not as vast as I would like.

there is one store that I like that is very helpful and they can order just about anything I want, but I currently am happy with my Mandolin and don't know that I will be upgrading all that soon (although there are some I would really like)

Thanks for the info!!!
    Neil

Kona KM002 A-models are selling for well less than $100. At that price -- well, you'd be pretty sure what you're getting. Doubt the F-model would be a big step up.

"Kona" was a name given to Hawaiian guitars made by the famous California builder Herman Weissenborn, that had deeper bodies and solid necks, rather than the hollow necks of the instruments labeled "Weissenborn." It seems to be another defunct American nameplate that's been appropriated for a line of Asian imports. Kona ukuleles are marketed quite widely, and there are apparently lines of acoustic and electric guitars, banjos and mandolins with the label. All seem to be low-end.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM