Thread: Amateur/first post

Default Amateur/first post

Like many others, I thought I would try my hand at Saga model A mandolin Kit. Had lots of fun, made mistakes and learned alot. I trashed the machines, put on Schallers, made a mess of the nut and had a local luthier make one for me. Not looking for perfection but trying to decide if this is a wall hanger or a "play for fun" deal.
    Tunes up fine, intonation is fine for me, however the second e string is not sharp picked in the open position. OK when you fret it. The only thing I can think of is the nut slot is not correct. String in open position does not touch the first fret.
    Would the slot be too high, too low, too wide? Would going to .11 E string from.10 make any difference?
    Obviously, take it back to the luthier, but would like an opinion.

Default Re: Amateur/first post

Quote Originally Posted by rareich View Post
    ....however the second e string is not sharp picked in the open position. OK when you fret it. The only thing I can think of is the nut slot is not correct.
    I don't understand. "is not sharp" could be good. "is ___ sharp" would be bad, as would be "is flat."

If the slot were too wide or otherwise ill-fitting, then the free length of the string would be overly long when picked while open, and the note would be flat. It is possible that you have strings with problems. I had a mandola string set for which the C course strings behaved differently. I loosened the strings and reversed the pair. The fault followed the string, so it wasn't the instrument. You should be able to do the same test. Try it and tell us what the result is. It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to do. No need to disconnect anything...just loosen the tension and interchange the strings to the other slots on nut and bridge. Having them cross between tuning machine and nut and again between bridge and tailpiece shouldn't hurt anything, in my humble opinion.
    You live and you learn (if you're awake)
    ... but some folks get by just making stuff up.

Michael T.

The strings need to be supported to the very edge of the nut as it meets the fingerboard. Any variance from this will cause problems.

Thanks for the feedback. I should not have used the word "flat". The tone of the 2nd E string is muffled or not crisp compared to the 1st E string. I did switch the strings the other day with the same results so I don't think it's the string. I have broken several E strings anyway screwing with this thing so a variety of strings have been on it. I play other stringed instruments and have strung many of them. Now what?
    Thanks,
    Richard Plano Texas

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

It's possible that re-tuning and/or re-stringing has caused the bridge to lean forward slightly - it's happened to me. That can cause a string to not seat firmly on top of the saddle, and/or the base of the bridge to not seat firmly on the soundboard, even if it doesn't LOOK bad and the intonation may still be close enough.

Re-intonating is something that we should all know how to do.

I know there are intonation-specific articles around somewhere, by will have to settle for the comments in here-
    ... this mando re-stringing article:
    http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musi...dostring1.html
    ... and this archtop guitar article (hey, and archtop is an archtop!):
    http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musi...tstring01.html
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Since it's "OK" when you fret it, the problem's likely in the nut - either the slot is too narrow so the string doesn't sit firmly on the bottom, or the slot is ramped improperly. The slot should be slightly angled so that the string exits the slot "crisply" over the leading edge of the nut. (Repeating what Michael said). What next? Someone needs to file the nut.
    benny

Just a bit of clarity for those of us who need visuals:

The slot slopes very slightly upward from the headstock so that the strings ramp and come right off the edge of the leading face of the nut
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nut.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	4.0 KB 
ID:	50050  

Thanks for the diagram. I think the slot is too narrow but I am going to take it back and have the guy check it.