Thread: Help: Sears & Roebuck Supertone Mandolin

Question Help: Sears & Roebuck Supertone Mandolin

Hey folks,

As the subject says, I've got a Sears and Roebuck, Supertone mandolin. The series number on the inside says F13411. I received it when my grandfather, who was born in the 1910s, passed away. My family members told me that it was given to him from his father or grandfather, however the little bit of research that I have done dates the Supertone brand to the earliest possible date being 1915.

If needed, I can provide some pictures. But, I'm wondering if someone can tell me what time period this mandolin dates to, what type of woods that it's made from (it looks as if there may be two or three different types judging by the grain patterns) and any other interesting things that I ought to know. And if you have any idea how much it might be worth, that'd be awesome too. I'd find it hard to believe that I've got a one of a kind piece, but I've Ebayed and Googled without any success. Apparently there is a type of Hawaiian parlor guitar with the same serial number from the 40s or 50s because Sears and Roebuck eventually started recycling serial numbers, that way ya'll don't think I'm some kinda' goofball with a guitar and calling it a mandolin.

Thanks.
    -Brock W.

Default Re: Help: Sears & Roebuck Supertone Mandolin

That's not a serial number, it's a catalog number. Sears didn't make these they farmed out the work. For a period of time they owned one manufacturer but they still outsourced to other makers. You really need to post some pictures if you want any real information.

Alright...

Here are some photos... I hope...

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae44/BWyant1/

Time period, between 1900 and 1930, probably in the earlier part of that range. The top is most likely spruce, the back and sides appear to be mahogany. It's missing the tailpiece cover. The value is a between $100.00 and $300.00 dollars on a good day.

This should look familiar.

Hmm...

Not the 10,000$ I was hoping. =P

Nah, that's pretty cool though. I wish I knew more about what my grandfather was doing with this thing. Never mentioned every playing any sort of an instrument, although according to one website I read through, mandolins became more popular as a cheaper alternative to banjos in the early 20th century.

Is this something that would increase in value with time or maintain itself? I'm obviously not going to haul it off to a pawn-shop, but it doesn't have a whole lot of sentimental value to me. How common is this model?

Would strings have been made from a different metal than they are now? To be honest, those things feel like they could cut skin. Would the long leftover pieces at the top have been result of the instrument being restrung? I can't imagine it being shipped that way.

I appreciate all the info and time... I think that's all the questions I've got... For the time being.

EDIT: Yep, that one sure does. Looks to be in better condition than the one I've got... The wood on mine looks more orange than yellow (any idea what would cause that?). And now I know what you meant by missing tailpiece cover. Looks like the one they've got may be missing the label on the inside... I guess we'n give them the catalog number now though, eh?

EDIT#2: One more question. The one Elderly's has is strung differently from mine (thick on right vs thick on left). Would that be a result of them being different handed, mine being strung improperly, or something else?
    Last edited by BrockW1; Jan-26-2010 at 5:22pm.

Change the strings... no need to give yourself tetanus. Get yourself some light gauge -- Daddario J-62 or GHS or Martins mandolin strings.

Your grandad prob plunked away at this playing the tunes of the day. This was prob a mail order instrument. it is a nice thing to have and Mike is right on on the value. Enjoy it. It is worth more to you sentimentally and won't be a worth that much more any time soon.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by BrockW1 View Post
    ...according to one website I read through, mandolins became more popular as a cheaper alternative to banjos in the early 20th century....Is this something that would increase in value with time or maintain itself?...How common is this model?...Would strings have been made from a different metal than they are now?..Would the long leftover pieces at the top have been result of the instrument being restrung?...The wood on mine looks more orange than yellow (any idea what would cause that?)...The one Elderly's has is strung differently from mine (thick on right vs thick on left). Would that be a result of them being different handed, mine being strung improperly, or something else?
    1. Your website was wrong. Mandolins became popular in the last quarter of the 19th century, initially due to concerts by touring European groups and increased immigration from Mediterranean countries. They were no cheaper than banjos; catalogs featured run-of-the-mill banjos and mandolins for less than $10.

2. The Supertone should hold its value, perhaps increase slightly. It's not an in-demand vintage instrument, but if it's playable and undamaged, it's not likely to devalue. The Elderly one that Mike E linked, needed a refret and crack repairs, which is why they were selling it "as is" for $150. Note that Elderly didn't think it worthwhile to repair it themselves and sell it for more.

3. Don't know how common this particular model is, but there are quite a few "trade" or catalog instruments around. They were sold by the thousands in the early 20th century. Large factories in Chicago turned them out under various labels. Lots were stuck up in the attic, and are being found and put on the market.

4. Strings haven't changed that much: plain steel for the unwound treble strings, brass-wrapped steel for the wound lower strings. The leftover lengths of string do indicate the instrument was restrung.

5. The finish on lacquered instruments can darken over time, especially if exposed to light. Some makers of new guitars put "aging toner" into the finish, to simulate vintage darkening. The effect is only cosmetic.

6. If your mandolin was strung "backwards," with the heavier strings on the right as you hold the mandolin facing you, it probably means the person who played it was left-handed, and strung it to play that way. A mandolin like this is pretty symmetrical, other than the bridge compensation (if there is any), so stringing it that way would be OK.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

8. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

mee 

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    1. Your website was wrong. Mandolins became popular in the last quarter of the 19th century, initially due to concerts by touring European groups and increased immigration from Mediterranean countries. They were no cheaper than banjos; catalogs featured run-of-the-mill banjos and mandolins for less than $10.
    That jives pretty well with the website I was reading from.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articl...NEWS-911270330

2. The Supertone should hold its value, perhaps increase slightly. It's not an in-demand vintage instrument, but if it's playable and undamaged, it's not likely to devalue. The Elderly one that Mike E linked, needed a refret and crack repairs, which is why they were selling it "as is" for $150. Note that Elderly didn't think it worthwhile to repair it themselves and sell it for more.
    This one has certainly been used. The edges have been worn down and rounded. However, it definitely still seems playable, although I don't have a clue how to do that or tune it. There's only one small crack that doesn't seem to have gone the whole way through the wood.

I live in Huntsville, Alabama. So, any idea where I could go and how much it would cost to have this little piece of history restored? I'd be particularly interested in finding a tail-cover just so that it's a complete piece. I guess I could send it to Elderly's and let them have a look at it?

The leftover lengths of string do indicate the instrument was restrung.
    5. The finish on lacquered instruments can darken over time, especially if exposed to light. Some makers of new guitars put "aging toner" into the finish, to simulate vintage darkening. The effect is only cosmetic.
    6. If your mandolin was strung "backwards," with the heavier strings on the right as you hold the mandolin facing you, it probably means the person who played it was left-handed, and strung it to play that way. A mandolin like this is pretty symmetrical, other than the bridge compensation (if there is any), so stringing it that way would be OK.
    Appreciate the reply. That's a lot of information that I didn't know.

It's pretty neat having an item that's almost like a portable time machine.

10. The following members say thank you to BrockW1 for this post:

mee 

Blog Entries

Well, a new set of strings-$8.00 and about 30 minutes of time to remove and install the new ones, then tune it up. Whalla you are in playable condition. And as has been stated-use lights NOT bluegrass mandolin strings on it.

Since yours is missing the "Waverly cloud tailpiece cover" good luck in finding one, in any shape. They have not been manufactored for a long time and vintage instruments frequently have theirs missings.

Only things you would need is a book or mandolin teacher and an electronic tuner and you would be in buisness. Oh and play what ever kind of mandolin music moves you-rock, classical, bluegrass, celtic etc. Learn you some chords and have fun. That would be a fitting tribute to your grandfather and his old instrument.
    If it ain't got at least 3 strings on it, it ain't worth playing.

Just sittin back, pickin and grinnin!

Thank you AMY RAY for giving me an interest in mandolin and bouzouki, as well as Bill M, and countless others!

12. The following members say thank you to bigbike for this post:

mee 

Hey Brock,
    Your mandolins sister is at auction ending tonight.
    Serial number F13410
    ends tonight, thought you might like to see it, it's very different

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/51278175

Hey folks,

As the subject says, I've got a Sears and Roebuck, Supertone mandolin. The series number on the inside says F13411. I received it when my grandfather, who was born in the 1910s, passed away. My family members told me that it was given to him from his father or grandfather, however the little bit of research that I have done dates the Supertone brand to the earliest possible date being 1915.

===========

That is funny - the auction instrument is described as a: 'Small Superstone Acoustic Guitar'.

Neck appears to be significantly warped, and has no truss rod. I hope the person who bid $230 has strong fingers, if they plan on playing that one!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    That is funny - the auction instrument is described as a: 'Small Superstone Acoustic Guitar'.

Neck appears to be significantly warped, and has no truss rod. I hope the person who bid $230 has strong fingers, if they plan on playing that one!
    Now here is a small Supertone guitar (the one on the left) next to my 00-18 Martin for size comparison, I was lucky to find it at a flea market (for $20) a couple of years ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Supertone 07.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	910.7 KB 
ID:	166721  
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

===========

Quote Originally Posted by jim simpson View Post
    Now here is a small Supertone guitar (the one on the left) next to my 00-18 Martin for size comparison, I was lucky to find it at a flea market (for $20) a couple of years ago.
    You know, I really hate you people who find cool instruments at great prices . . . every time I find a cool old Harmony mandolin or a vintage Silvertone guitar at a thrift shop or flea market, they want WAY too much money for it. My son has all the luck in my family - people are constantly giving him instruments for free, or selling to him for a tiny fraction of their value.

17. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stewarttim View Post
    Hey Brock,
    Your mandolins sister is at auction ending tonight.
    Serial number F13410
    ends tonight, thought you might like to see it, it's very different

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/51278175
    Just so you know: this thread is over 8 years old and the OP has not posted anything on this site since then.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Apr-12-2018 at 7:47am. Reason: fixed quote syntax
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

19. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

===========

Quote Originally Posted by Stewarttim View Post
    Just so you know: this thread is over 8 years old and the OP has not posted anything on this site since then.
    I would be curious find out how many of the 52,000 Cafe 'members' have 'joined' the Cafe, posted just a couple of times, and then disappeared . . . non-players who only wanted to find out if grandpa's mandolin will pay for a college education, and then never return.

I would be curious find out how many of the 52,000 Cafe 'members' have 'joined' the Cafe, posted just a couple of times, and then disappeared . . . non-players who only wanted to find out if grandpa's mandolin will pay for a college education, and then never return.
    Every forum member has the ability to see the list of members and the number of posts. They can also see the posts of individual members. That's how Jim was able to answer the question above. If you're looking for something to do the information is out there. It's probably going to get pretty boring after a while though.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

You know, I really hate you people who find cool instruments at great prices . . . every time I find a cool old Harmony mandolin or a vintage Silvertone guitar at a thrift shop or flea market, they want WAY too much money for it. My son has all the luck in my family - people are constantly giving him instruments for free, or selling to him for a tiny fraction of their value.
    A story I've told before on this forum.....35 years ago at an outdoor flea market, I see a pickup truck pulling up with a mountain of stuff piled in the truck bed about 6-8 feet over the top of the truck, most notably an old dreadnought size guitar with no strings, no tuners, and had soot all over it like it was near a fire, but not actually burnt itself. Needless to say, it didn't have a case. Well, I was young, younger at least, so I didn't wait for him to unload, I climbed into the back of his truck and grabbed the guitar. To my amazement, and after brushing the soot from the peghead, I saw it was actually an old Martin. Well, being prepared, I carried a business card in my wallet that had all the Martin serial numbers listed (think, pre-internet!) .....turns out it was a 1945 model D-18! Sure, it was rough, but I could fix 'er! The only question now was price. I asked the gentlemen selling it, "how much is this old guitar?" He said, this "old guitar" is a 1945 Martin D-18 and I want $1500 dollars for it! Sounds like a deal in today's money, but in 1983 at a flea market, it was an impossible sum. I didn't get it and left there disappointed. Talk about the one that got away!
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Apr-12-2018 at 10:45am.

===========

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    A story I've told before ..... at an outdoor flea market ...... pickup truck pulling up with a mountain of stuff piled in the truck bed . . . most notably an old dreadnought size guitar with no strings, no tuners, and had soot all over it like it was near a fire, but not actually burnt itself .....turns out it was a 1945 model D-18! Sure, it was rough, but I could fix 'er! The only question now was price.
    Sounds very similar to a story that Bill Bolick of the Blue Sky Boys told me about his 1929 Martin Style 20.

In the 1930's many musical instruments in his area were sold at furniture stores, not music stores. One day there was a fire at the furniture store, and they were selling off inventory at bargain prices - so Bill went to look at the instruments. He spotted a mandolin which looked pretty bad - but when he ran his finger over a tiny portion of it, he could see it was just soot, and there was no damage. He offered the owner a price based on it 'looking pretty bad' . . . and the rest, as they say, is music history.

I wish my story had turned out better -- it certainly could have been a "lifetime" guitar, IMHO. I basically felt the guitar was mine, since I discovered it, the only detail was the small matter of price, and really, how much could a flea market guy ask for a beatup old guitar? He must have called Gruhn's or something. I've "rewound the tape" a thousand times wondering what I could have done differently. I think I'm a better negotiator these days -- probably $500 would have bought it or maybe I could have traded for a lawn mower or a used set of tires!

That's how I started on the cafe way back in the day. As you can see by my post count, I am more of a lurker than poster. In fact, I may be the King Lurker on this board.
    I can only play half as much as I want, because I only play half as much as I would like.