Thread: Catalog for a 1920 Gibson Mandolin

Default Catalog for a 1920 Gibson Mandolin

If I wanted to find the then-current catalog of a 1920 mandolin, that would have been catalog L, right?

Does anyone out there happen to have a pdf of this catalog? I've found the 1921 catalog M, but not catalog L.

Thanks!

Default Re: Catalog for a 1920 Gibson Mandolin

What are you needing to know? The catalogs are not always accurate or might have older illustrations. Also, dating a Gibson mandolin also is different depending on whether you use the serial number or the FON. On top of that, Gibson sometimes built instruments using old parts esp in the later eras like 1930s or 1940s. I had a mandocello from 1937 that I swear had a guitar neck on it.

I would guess that the 1921 catalog would be pretty close. I assume you found this from this page at acousticmusic.org?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    What are you needing to know? The catalogs are not always accurate or might have older illustrations. Also, dating a Gibson mandolin also is different depending on whether you use the serial number or the FON. On top of that, Gibson sometimes built instruments using old parts esp in the later eras like 1930s or 1940s. I had a mandocello from 1937 that I swear had a guitar neck on it.

I would guess that the 1921 catalog would be pretty close. I assume you found this from this page at acousticmusic.org?
    I'm actually not needing to know anything in particular. When I get an instrument, one of the things I usually do is track down the then-current catalog (or at least a copy, if the instrument is vintage) to keep with my paperwork. That's all. I did locate the 1921 catalog from acousticmusic.

Thanks!

This doesn’t have the 1920 catalog L but it does have the next year if that helps.

https://acousticmusic.org/research/history/catalogs/

Phil

Interesting that the "Junior" range of instruments doesn't appear in either the 1921 or the 1923 catalogues, despite being introduced in 1920. Presumably they marketed them separately so as not to divert sales from the higher range instruments.

Martin

Yes, I have seen a separate pamphlet advertising the Juinior line.

Phil