Thread: Soft Finish

Default Soft Finish

The finish on one of my instruments is still "soft" after ten years. Can anything be done to make it hard? I have no idea what the finish is but if I play the instrument with a button down shirt the button imprint will be in the finish and later the imprint will vanish. Weird.
    Poe #31
    Kentucky KM-505

Default Re: Soft Finish

Try a blue chiip.
    Jim

Blog Entries

Can you tell us who made the instrument or have you called the builder/company for an idea of what the finish is? It sounds quite elastic if it will take the imprint of a button and then slowly relax back to normal configuration....

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    Can you tell us who made the instrument or have you called the builder/company for an idea of what the finish is? It sounds quite elastic if it will take the imprint of a button and then slowly relax back to normal configuration....

Jamie
    Sorry, I can't tell you the luthier's name but it was a "green" experimental finish and supposedly water based.
    Poe #31
    Kentucky KM-505

Quote Originally Posted by Poener View Post
    Sorry, I can't tell you the luthier's name but it was a "green" experimental finish and supposedly water based.
    Additionally, the luthier is based in California for what it's worth.
    Poe #31
    Kentucky KM-505

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rowland View Post
    Try a blue chiip.
    Jim
    What is this "blue chiip"?
    Poe #31
    Kentucky KM-505

I would say refinish it with some good varnish or laquer. It sounds like a bad batch of varnish to me. It is probably muddying up the tone as well.

Blog Entries

The blue chip joke is about playing your mandolin with a button down shirt (that would require a LOT of starch). A Blue Chip is a costly designer pick many people who own them love. I remember these water based finishes from a few years ago. They were supposed to harden like spirit ones...

Here are all the threads on Water Based Finishes.

The best bet is to contact the builder and see what s/he says to do. Without knowing the exact finish, the other builders (and I'm not one) might not have much to offer up. I understand not naming the builder.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +