Thread: Cheap, easy to make humidifier

Default Cheap, easy to make humidifier

If you can find an old 35 mm plastic film canister, you can make a pretty decent case humidifier, especially if you have a rectangular case. All I did was take a penknife to gouge out a 1" cylindrical hole in the styrofoam interior, drill a few holes in the canister lid and added a moist sponge and voila! Make the hole just slightly smaller than the canister diameter and it won't move at all. (There's very little danger of this anyway, because when the top is closed, the lid keeps the canister from moving around the case)

Here's a photo. Enjoy!
    Eric Kilburn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	casehumid2.JPG 
Views:	724 
Size:	201.9 KB 
ID:	48823  

Default Re: Cheap, easy to make humidifier

I have kind of done the same thing with an old pill bottle and a small piece of sponge. Drill small holes in it and it fits under the headstock very snuggly. But, I like your idea better erick. Thanks for sharing.
    Susan
    Weber SE
    Hoffee Mandolin case

I've done the same with a small Tupperware type thingee.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

Blog Entries

I've found that for small intruments the clear polycarbonate pill jars (sold a WalMart's or Meier's in the pharmaceuticals travel section next to the small toothpastes and shampoos) works very well.

For the larger instruments (guitar/mandocello) I use a travel soap container. Both are stuffed with a sponge treated to with a mold inhibitor. Seems to do the job -- knock on wood!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	humidifiers.jpg 
Views:	3022 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	48845  
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

If you can't find a 35mm tape canister (a relic these days) see if you know anyone with diabetes. Most diabetes test strips come in very heavy plastic container that is about the same size.

Unrepentant Dilettante Lee Callicutt's Avatar

Slice of an apple, or potato, if you're truly frugal.

In my guitar case and under the headstock I have a zip lock sandwich bag with holes punched in one side, and a sponge that I wet and squeeze until it doesn't drip. The side of the bag with the holes is up in the case. Ugly, but works like a charm.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Joe Clark View Post
    In my guitar case and under the headstock I have a zip lock sandwich bag with holes punched in one side.
    The good ol' Bryan Kimsey method:

http://www.bryankimsey.com/humdifier/index.htm

I don't wet the whole sponge, just a corner will do. The water will soak through to the rest of the sponge and not be too wet.

I use the 3M brand sponge with the anti-bactorial stuff in it. I've never had a problem with mold.

It fits well under the neck, above the gizmo compartment, with enough squish that it doesn't move around.
    Just when I got a paddle, they added more water to the creek.

I choose to humidify the house, your house and furniture will thank you as much as your instrument. A humidifier is cheap to run and will even keep you your own self more healthy. And cost about the same as a couple of Blue Chip picks. Your instrument is like that sponge, it will absorb moisture quickly, but take much longer to dry out. Unless you go some where in the winter for a couple of weeks the case humidifier is not necessary. Been doing this for 30+ yrs and haven't had a crack yet.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Blog Entries

Improving on the idea, I went to a hardware store and bought Soil Moist Granules. When dry they look like large grains of salt or maybe sugar. but when they are moistened with water they absorb the water, swell up and retain that moisture for quite some time.
    They are meant to do the same thing for plants but work just great in my case.
    Nothing difficult is ever easy.

--------------------
    Heiden F5
    1981 Gbson F5-L
    '62 Martin D-18

Quote Originally Posted by stringduster View Post
    Improving on the idea, I went to a hardware store and bought Soil Moist Granules. When dry they look like large grains of salt or maybe sugar. but when they are moistened with water they absorb the water, swell up and retain that moisture for quite some time.
    They are meant to do the same thing for plants but work just great in my case.
    They also make a similar product for cigar humidors. releases the moisture gradually and won't drip. refill with distilled H2O to prevent salt build-up, works great.
    Michael
    All the Best
    Michael

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

(double post. woops)
    Last edited by Andrew B. Carlson; Jan-07-2012 at 8:33pm. Reason: double post
    Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2022 Sigma SDR-45VS

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    If you can't find a 35mm tape canister (a relic these days) see if you know anyone with diabetes. Most diabetes test strips come in very heavy plastic container that is about the same size.
    Just made one of these with my wife's old test strip bottle. Better than a film canister. Much stronger and the lid is attached to the bottle.
    Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2022 Sigma SDR-45VS

I've been using a sponge in a soap box for years, but this year I'm using those Herco humidifiers. What do you use as a mold inhibitor, I tend to go through a lot of sponges, even when I start with distilled water.

Might try this too: "3M brand sponge with the anti-bactorial stuff in it." Thanks.