Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dale Reno

Default Dale Reno

I have been watching some old reruns of Ronnie Renos show on TV and some times Dale is playing Ronnies Loar and sometimes he is playing some other make mandolin...My question is does anyone happen to know what make that mandolin is? At one festival many years ago he had a `60`s Gibson that wasn`t to his liking and he borrowed my mandolin to play the show with his Dad and I had a hard time getting it bad, he was just kidding around...

Thanks....Willie

Default Re: Dale Reno

Dale was likely playing a Tucker when those shows were taped. Later on he played Pricetone mandolins quite a bit.
    Russ Jordan

And at some point early on, he picked a Stelling.

Quite the picker he is, yes-siree-bob.

On the old Reno show he played a Tucker but often he played what looks alot like a Loar . Watching the show it appears there might even be two Loars.

I wonder why he changed mandos so often?

Quote Originally Posted by barry k View Post
    I wonder why he changed mandos so often?
    Probably because he could.

He owns a Tucker. Ronnie owns a Loar. Sometimes one would be on the show, others the opposite. Both Ronnie and Dale are good mandolin players. I have not asked them, but I think it was usually dependent upon whether Ronnie had his Loar there when the show was being taped.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Ronnie has socked away several Loars. Could have been one of the other Loars of Ronnies. Likely a Tucker as most say. I remember back when Dale was the first picker I saw playing a Stelling F model. That was around 1984.

Wonder what Dale is doing now ? Retired ? How come Reno brothers no longer play together anymore ? So many questions, so little time.
    08' Gibson Fern
    1964 Martin D-18
    www.potterswheelgospel.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Hart View Post
    Wonder what Dale is doing now ? Retired ? How come Reno brothers no longer play together anymore ? So many questions, so little time.
    Aren't they still playing in Hayseed Dixie? I see that HD has a big tour coming up in Europe next spring.

Spencer

Dale and Don Wayne are great guys. A friend of mine is a good friends of Don Wayne and I have had a number of up close and personal experiences. The times I have been around Dale he had always the Tucker with him. They are still with Hayseed Dixie. It is not my musical taste. But they can still bring it. HD plays in Europe frequently. Once in a while I will see Don Wayne at my friends at a picking session. He can play about any instrument with strings well. Don played my Octive Mandolin like he was born playing it. He is a truely amazing player and a great person. Dale is also. I could listen to him tickle the the mando strings forever. And when he plays with Don Wayne it is magic. They play off each other musically as two brother can.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    Ronnie owns a Loar.

And he and I share a date...not that kind!

You had me worried Alan...I thought I knew you and Ronnie pretty well, but you gave me a scare .
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

A few years ago The Reno Brothers were scheduled to appear at a festival in southern Maryland and Ronnie told me that his brothers had moved on to playing Rock and Roll...Is that what Hayseed Dixie is all about?

Thanks for the info, I agree it is a Tucker and sometimes Ronnie`s Loar, I didn`t know he owned more than one....

Willie

Hayseed Dixie is playing rock with bluegrass instruments. Ronnie has his own bluegrass band Ronnie Reno and the Reno Tradition. Somewhat similar to the Reno Brothers in feel.
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

I don't know how they put the show together---is everything done on the same day?---there doesn't seem to be any audience so it could be taped at different times but I have seen what appeared to me to be Loars on that show -and two different ones on the same show. Ronnie playing one and Dale playing another. I guess if your dad was Don Reno and you've been playing professionally since you were a kid you might have had a head start on collecting Loars. When Ronnie played with Reno and Smiley a Loar could be had for a few hundred dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by red7flag View Post
    Ronnie has his own bluegrass band Ronnie Reno and the Reno Tradition. Somewhat similar to the Reno Brothers in feel.
    Yeah, they do mostly Ronnie-centric tunes + a good assortment of standards, some of his Daddy's numbers. The mando picker (I think) is a young man who is very good, combo of modern and trad. The banjo man is Jackie Miller who used to be affiliated with Gibson, if I'm not mistaken (Joe Vest, help me out). I hung on the bus with them a couple of years ago and it was a blast pickin with them boys and Allen Mills.

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

There's some hot mando content from about 1:50 to the end.

Jackie Miller plays the fiddle with Reno Tradition. Jackie also gets in on the mandolin trios with Ronnie and John Mayberry--check out Turkey In The Straw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm4koD4a7cc

And I'll also put in a plug for RenoFest, held the 4th weekend in March, in Hartsville SC.
    Last edited by Russ Jordan; Dec-31-2009 at 7:15pm. Reason: youtube did not show up
    Russ Jordan

No Loars in the above!
    Russ Jordan

Ronnie Reno and the Reno Tradition consists of Ronnie (vocals, guitar, and sometimes mandolin), Jackie Miller (fiddle, and sometimes mandolin), John Mayberry (mandolin), Mike Scott (banjo), and Robin Smith (bass). These guys can really play! Jackie is the cleanest picker on any instrument you may ever hear. All great musicians and can play any style you want. If you get a chance, go see them. You will enjoy it. They present a good mix of music from older (Don Reno) to a bit of everything.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

For those of you in the Nashville area Robin Smith, see Big Joe's last post, is an outstanding luthier besides being a great bass player. He is a great friend also. I can always count on a trip to Hendersonville to his shop to lighten my soul. As a luthier, not really a mando man, he can make a banjo neck to die for, makes banjos and guitars and a great set up guy. I have a Smith/Heartland banjo that he made for me. A treasure.
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

A quick update. I had the pleasure of going to Don Wayne's house yesterday for the first time with my friend. Dale was supposed to come over but was sick. They will be heading out to tour in Europe in February and will be there until the end of May with a full schedule of concerts. From what Don Wayne said there should be a new project out sometime soon. Great to see him. We did no picking but just some nice conversing, a special moment.
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

Does anyone have their European schedule?? Those of us on this side of the pond will travel a long way to see the real deal.

Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172