Thread: Finish to a shine..

Question Finish to a shine..

I am currently building an IV A style kit. However, I'm worrying a little about the (albiet far off process) of getting a glossy finish. I've heard and seen examples of french polishing but it seems very complicated and like it would be a large use of money if you are only doing it on one mando (for now). What would you all suggest as being the best finish style, when comparing ease to glossiness? I'd like to see my reflection :D
    As a side note I just test sprayed some deft nitro clear gloss on an old guitar that I'm refinishing and it looks glossy but does not show a reflection like my Gib Les Paul. If I do this method on my mando will that be fixed by wetsanding?

Default Re: Finish to a shine..

Check out the French Polishing by Condino. You can do it!

I've done two instruments with rattle can Deft (from Local Big Box stores) and they both turned out great. I wet sanded with Micro-Mesh (Stewmac carries this) and then rubbed out with Mequiars 3 step (available at most auto parts stores).

You may want to stretch the 10-14 days recommended to 21 days before sanding etc.... On the first one I did, I waited 14 days and after the rub out the finish looked beautiful initially. After a few weeks though I started to see some finish shrinkage on the headstock. It's best to be patient when it comes to finish.
    Todd Joles, handyman and aspiring luthier!

San Diego's own Rock Bottom Bluegrass!

Traditional music played without talent!

The greatest band you've never heard!

tru-oil is also very friendly for application and shine factor. It takes a while to build up coats, then the usual 3 weeks of cure time, but well worth it and not too bad on the pocketbook as well. Good luck!

What could possibly be expensive about French polishing?