Thread: Luigi Ricca Mandolin

Default Luigi Ricca Mandolin

I just received a Luigi Ricca mandolin that was my great grandfathers when he was a child. It is in pretty good condition considering its age. Just needs a little TLC and maybe some refinishing and new strings. All the wood and ornate pieces are intact. I tried researching Ricca mandolins on the internet but found very little information. My question is how much is it worth? Is it worth me having a lutherie restore it? It does have an intact manufacturer sticker inside with L. Ricca, NY, NY. and Serial #7177. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Default Re: Luigi Ricca Mandolin

Here is a list of all message threads that discuss these in one way or the other. One of them includes a link to download a copy of a catalog. Unfortunatley most of these early American bowlback mandolins aren't worth a whole lot. Post a picture an you'll have a better chance of getting a true estimate of the value. Without seeing it I'd tell you that very few of these are sold for more than a few hundred dollars at best. Much less depending on the condition.

Default Re: Luigi Ricca Mandolin

Thanx for your quick reply and information.