Thread: Phish or Grateful Dead Songs

Default Phish or Grateful Dead Songs

I would love to learn some Grateful Dead or Phish songs on my mandolin. Does anyone know where I can track down the tabs?

Thanks.

Default Re: Phish or Grateful Dead Songs

www.rukind.com has a ton of Dead tabs for guitar. It should get you started as far as chords go. I turned their guitar version (D minor) of "Shady Grove" into to mandolin tab.
    "They say the ocean, she is a woman, who waits for her man to come home." M.Houser

I don't know of any off hand that is written exclusively for mandolin. However, a good place to start is with a grateful dead songbook for guitar, and go from there. With exception of American Beauty, and Workingman's Dead, there is not a whole lot of mando going on. However, with a song book you can figure out the chord progressions and make up your own leads. As phar as phish is concerned, I know of nothing along those lines. Maybe doing some other onlines searches might be of assistance.

Good luck,
    Scott

In terms of Phish tabs there are plenty on the web if you just do a google search for Phish tabs. Of course none are for mandolin. All the ones I play for fun I have either transcribed on scratch paper myself by either using these web tabs or from some of their guitar transciption books. If you have a good ear then you could also check out the albums Gone Phisin' and Forever Phishin': A Bluegrass Tribute to Phish. Even if you don't have an ear for picking up on how to play the songs, the albums are still worth a listen.

Check out The Grass Is Dead on archive.org...

For Grateful Dead, definitely check out http://www.rukind.com/ and be sure to look up and down the links on the left side for more resources. "Musical Sites" has more links to JGB tabs and other bands you probably like too.

Just having the chords and lyrics will get you started on the songs and help you figure out where to start with the riffs too. I also play guitar (although am quickly becoming a 'former' guitar player) and have lots of fun 'transcribing' guitar tab to the mandolin fretboard. It's a great way to learn some scales and lets me find my own voice through those songs too.

One thing I really love about the Grateful Dead's music is that it's so open to interpretation, especially for mandolin, because of how they interpreted the music they listened to. Some of my favorites to play are Ripple and Friend of the Devil. I've listened to them countless times, and have come to accept that it will be a long time coming before I can play Dawg's parts by ear, however, playing those songs are even more rewarding because I've had to make up my own mandolin versions of them.

I can't help you much with Phish, other than to say 'google it' and good luck. Maybe start with their covers and go from there. I know I found the Stones' "Loving Cup" out there for guitar...

P

http://emilstabs.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

at that link you will find every single phish song tabbed out. It's amazing.

As for grateful dead...you are on your own.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holt View Post
    With exception of American Beauty, and Workingman's Dead, there is not a whole lot of mando going on.
    Fortunately, there is a songbook of those two albums that they put out back then, and it may still be available. Nice artwork too, as I recall, a real period piece. It may not be available at less than collectors' prices.

But I don't think you are talking about songs just from those albums. As with any other band, you will have to find music with chord notations and figure them out from there. One of my favorites, Eyes Of The World, translates well to mandolin.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!