Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twilite Broadcasters

Thumbs up Twilite Broadcasters

I posted a video on another thread I found about this band, does anyone know anything about them, what kind of genre this is exactly?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uRu60hni4k

It doesn't sound like old-time music I'm used to hearing marketed nowadays exactly, more intricate. Good stuff. Looks like a F4 or something. Is it a Gibson?

Default Re: Twilite Broadcasters

It's old time. They combine some fiddle tune stuff with Carter Family style singing and old brother style duet music. A modern group that sounds like this is the Hunger Mountain Boys.

Good stuff!
    Lost on the trails of The Deep North

Nice stuff and super vocals... check out their myspace page.

Here is another duo that does some similar stuff: Manhattan Valley Ramblers.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Keller View Post
    It's old time. They combine some fiddle tune stuff with Carter Family style singing and old brother style duet music. A modern group that sounds like this is the Hunger Mountain Boys.

Good stuff!
    I went to the HMBoys website - it's nice stuff, but sounds more swingy, jazzy, modern to me...

The twilight broadcasters are Adam Tanner and Mark Jackson, two great local fellows. Adam is a fantastic fiddle player and a great mandolin player who can both play like mad AND is a very effective communicator and teacher. If you get down this way, DEFINITELY contact him and sit in on a lesson or two.

That mandolin he's playing- I affectionately know of it as "the secret weapon". It is the squeaky clean 1927 F4 that was written up in Mandolin Magazine last year. It originally had a factory issue fingerboard with the fret spacing and intonation all astray, so it got very little playing time or use. Adam loved the box, voice, and mojo, but couldn't make much use of it when he got it.

After struggling over a bunch of different ideas, he contacted me and we gave it some modern love. The old fingerboard was steamed off and put in a box for the next owner, and a new one was made up. Visually, it is a pretty close clone of the original, but it has larger frets and a 12" radius. The end result sounds and plays fantastic. The whole process was covered in the magazine. I had a hard time giving it back to him when it was all finished- I even asked for a right of first refusal if he should ever decide to sell it!

j.
    www.condino.com

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

There´s more viewing pleasure through embedding the video.

They surely sound nice. Also the video was nicely filmed and put together. This makes a nice promo video. But like most of us (me included for sure) some more smiles would certainly light up the scene more.
    Olaf

I googled adam tanner and found out he's known for old time fiddling. He used to play with the Hunger Mountain Boys, better than the guy they have now IMHO! What is the fiddle tune they're playing in the video? It sounds old-time but not as primitive as other stuff I've heard and not really bluegrass...
    Why I said it didn't sound old-time, it doesn't have the usual clawhammer banjo, etc kind of thing going like the typical old-time bands all have now.

Does the F4 have a flower pot logo on the headstock? I thought they didn't have that, is it a later instrument?

There are many different types of music that make up "old-time" music. They play Ragtime Annie toward the end of that video

I really like these guys - they need to put out a CD and they need to come play some shows in the SF Bay Area!

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Adam is originally from the bay area. If you ever get a chance to have a few laughs with him, you might get to hear some great stories about Mom loading him up in the old VW and taking him to see the original Grisman Quintet and Garcia / Grisman shows when he was a kid....

j.
    www.condino.com

Blog Entries

If I could play in a duo like these guys, my only life goal left would be to catch a very large bass on Lake Waxahachie with a fly rod in full view of everyone else getting skunked with their carolina rigged bait-casters.

Ahhh... but, to quote Alexander Hamilton, "this is a thing more ardently to be wished than seriously to be expected."
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Excellent old style duet playing. They have definetly listened closely to the Monroe Brothers recordings. I look forward to hearing more.

I see that the Twilite Broadcasters posted on their ReverbNation page that their debut CD will be available in mid to late January.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Talabardio View Post
    I see that the Twilite Broadcasters posted on their ReverbNation page that their debut CD will be available in mid to late January.
    Do they know about the cafe. It would be great to get a cut off that CD up on the MP3 rotation.

The mp3s are my morning coffee music.

A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Do they know about the cafe. It would be great to get a cut off that CD up on the MP3 rotation.

The mp3s are my morning coffee music.

I don't even know about the MP3 rotation!

Looks like their CD is finally out - looking forward to hearing it!

http://www.elderly.com/recordings/items/AT09.htm

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

I got the CD last week. I really like some of it, and some of it is only OK. When it shines, it glows. but there are a couple of early tracks that are only ho hum, compared to what comes later. All-in-all not a bad listen with lots of good ideas, some very original in a brother duet setting.

I've heard them around Asheville a few times and consider their sound very clean and tasteful. Adam is a versatile all-rounder on fiddle and mandolin. Their interpretation of the Monroe Brothers material is excellent, IMHO.

They did a nice intimate house concert in Suffern, NY. These guys were great. The harmonies were tight, the musicianship was excellent and they put on an all-around great show. The addition of Chuck Shreve, a phenomenal bass player, makes their performance even more enjoyable. Great energy to their music. Catch them if you can. Their web site.

My friend made some videos of the show -- I will link to them when she uploads them.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I caught their show down here in Atlanta last month and thought it was great! Got to hang out with Adam a bit afterwards and talk mando geek stuff and pick on his Duff and Stanley F-5s , really nice guy on top of being an excellent musician.

Adam had an instrument stand with two mandolins and fiddle but he mostly played the Stanley. i did not know that the other one was a Duff. In older videos he plays an F4. That Stanley certainly sounded quite nice. I had to leave right after their 2nd set -- I did talk to him briefly but did not get any chance to play or try his mandolins.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Blog Entries

Yes, his stanley is Killer. I played it and it is all worth the Hype.....Great player too.

My tastes were more for the Duff and Adam says he prefers it in alot of cases, but the Stanley cuts through the mix better. He said he still has the F-4, but it doesn't see much road action.

Blog Entries

We have two MP3s from them they've shared that you can download or stream on the Cafe MP3 page.

Last edited by Scott Tichenor; May-01-2012 at 2:29pm.

Here are a few videos from the house concert in Suffern, NY.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: