Thread: Can't You Hear Me Callin by Richard D. Smith

Default Can't You Hear Me Callin by Richard D. Smith

I've posted a review of Richard D. Smith's biography "Can't You Hear Me Callin': The Life of Bill Monroe, Father of Bluegrass" on my blog. I look forward to your comments. - Ted

Default Re: Can't You Hear Me Callin by Richard D. Smith

I just finished this book today. Quite fascinating. The book covers his life or 85 years so quickly it was kinda sad.

Book's gotten a lot of Cafe notice. Its discussion of Monroe's (somewhat messy) personal life turns some of his fans off. I found it a good read, with perhaps a bit too much trying to "get into his head."

You don't have to be a great husband, father, or manager of band personnel, to be a great musician. Monroe was no doubt a difficult person in many ways, but that's really a side issue in discussing his music, IMHO.

I'd recommend it, and also suggest -- for the Monroe scholars -- reading one of the several books written by former Blue Grass Boys, such as Bob Black's Come Hither To Go Yonder: Playing Bluegrass With Bill Monroe, Gene Lowinger's I Hear a Voice Calling, Tom Ewing's The Bill Monroe Reader. I must confess that, since I'm not Monroe-obsessed, I haven't read them, but they've been well-reviewed and give a perspective of Monroe from musicians who worked with him.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

4. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Lehmann View Post
    I've posted a review of Richard D. Smith's biography "Can't You Hear Me Callin': The Life of Bill Monroe, Father of Bluegrass" on my blog. I look forward to your comments. - Ted
    Went to your blog but did not see the review of "Can't you hear...." in your books section?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I finished reading the book by Neil Rosenberg & Charles K.Wolfe a few weeks back,''The Music of Bill Monroe''. Not only is it a complete discography of Bill Monroes' recording career (or at one time - a 'lack of it'),there's a whole shed load of info. about the music(s) of the time when Bill Monroe was starting out,& where & by whom songs / tunes originated. Most of it isn't in any of the other books about Bill Monroe & i've read them all except ''Come Hither To Go Yonder''.

One thing does emerge,& that's just how much Bill Monroe's career depended on the work done on his behalf,both before,during & after Ralph Rinzler's tenure as his manager. At one point BM's career had stagnated. Few bookings,recordings sitting on a shelf un-released,an all round bad time. RR got Bill Monroe involved with the Folk music & University circuit,something that Flatt & Scruggs had been into for a long while. When the 'Folkies' heard the 'Father of Bluegrass Music' as Ralph Rinzler introduced him,they were totally blown away. Bill Monroe's career blossomed after that & RR even brought him to the UK & Europe,such was his popularity.
    I'd recommend 'The Music of Bill Monroe' to everybody who loves Bluegrass Music - it's much,much more than a discography & how Neil Rosenberg & Chales K.Wolfe researched some of the info. is beyond me - a time machine maybe ???,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Music of Bill Monroe.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	154557
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post: