Thread: Mairearad Green - Passing Places

Default Mairearad Green - Passing Places

If you want a flavour of the quality of young players in Scotland today, check out this wonderful album by the young accordionist and piper Mairearad Green. It is a commision of new tunes recorded live at Celtic Connections this January, and also features some great musicianship from the likes of Anna Massie, Hamish Napier and others in what is a really great band, which includes mandolinist Adam Bulley.

She comes from Achiltibuie (where Kevin MacLeod spends a lot of time) and you can watch a nice video which features some good North West Highland scenery.

Recommended.

http://www.mairearadgreen.com/
    David A. Gordon

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Default Re: Mairearad Green - Passing Places

With that big accordion, she reminds me a bit of Phil Cunningham. Moving video, featuring that most basic culture-of-courtesy test Scotland has to offer: the passing place. I always liked them, I just wish they were more conveniently placed (e.g. ON a blind summit instead of on either side).

A few weeks ago, I had the honor to unexpectedly find myself in the company of some talented young players: spending 2 weeks on Orkney, I asked around where there might be a session to play along, and they directed me to a pub - well kind of a one. It turned out it was "The Reel" in Kirkwall, a Cafe not licensed to sell alcohol at night, and the session really was a rehearsal of the Orkney Strathspey and Reel Society, but they were very friendly, put sheet music in front of me and liked the sound of my OM, an instrument new to them. I did not know a single tune they played but got along well enough with doublestop accompaniment by ear.

What a great country.

Sorry for rambling, thanks for the hint and the memories it sparked.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

'that most basic culture-of-courtesy test Scotland has to offer:the passing place.'

I like that, Bertram. I'd never thought of it like that actually but I guess I'm so used to them. I love Orkney, by the way. Special place.
    David A. Gordon

Just watched the DVD, really enjoyed it.

The Reel is the Wrigley Sisters' place isn't it? They sell OMs in their shop below!
    Good soup.

Orkney and Shetland are very hospitable to mandolinists
    Bren

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bren View Post
    The Reel is the Wrigley Sisters' place isn't it?
    Orkney and Shetland are very hospitable to mandolinists
    Yes and yes. Though playing out was not my main objective, I found it a refreshing experience. (I went to Orkney mainly for breathing - if it's only your cap flying away they call it a calm day on Orkney; exactly what I needed and a refreshing experience as well, the wheather being not bad for October...)
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Got this package for Christmas, and watched it the other night - very enjoyable, particularily the slow middle section with some fabulous film of the dramatic landscape around Coigach.

Don't know of Adam Bulley but he plays well indeed - one of your pupils, Dagger?

I'm going to be spending more time up in our family house in Polbain this year doing a recording with local accordionist Ali "Beag" MacLeod, and mandolin ace Luke Plumb is on for the ride and recording duties too - looking forward to that.

However, do get a copy of Mairearad's cd dvd - thoroughly enjoyable and interesting.

Kevin Macleod

Hi Kevin,

I don't know Adam at all, actually. Happy New Year, BTW. I spent it as usual in Ullapool, where Mairearad was also playing.

http://www.myspace.com/adambulley
    David A. Gordon

Thumbs up Re: Mairearad Green - Passing Places

Passing Places just arrived from Music Scotland. (< 1 week from the order to Illinois!) I don't think the DVD will play but the cd is marvelous. Thanks for the heads-up.

Steve

The order also had the latest from the Funky String Band. "Angel Flying Too Close to the Gound" in waltz tempo? You won't believe it 'til you hear it and you'll be glad you did.

Over 8 years since anyone commented on this and indeed it's a long time since I listened to it.

However we dug it out last night, and I have to say it really is a great album. She has generally moved on to mostly play with her duo partner Anna Massie and to some extent this work has been largely forgotten, but it it really is a fine example of good groupwork with strong contributions from everyone involved.

Do yourself a favour and revisit it.
    David A. Gordon

Over 8 years since anyone commented on this and indeed it's a long time since I listened to it.

However we dug it out last night, and I have to say it really is a great album. She has generally moved on to mostly play with her duo partner Anna Massie and to some extent this work has been largely forgotten, but it it really is a fine example of good groupwork with strong contributions from everyone involved.

Do yourself a favour and revisit it.
    David A. Gordon