Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The joys of nearly invisible serial numbers

Default Re: The joys of nearly invisible serial numbers

The Factory DID pencil the serial numbers on the bridge. I cannot say how long they did this, but most every Loar I have taken down has it
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    Your comment reminds me of a question I have always had about one of my
    F2's.

This one is a clearly 1920 model and the serial number is completly readable -- but my question is about the FON. A number is clearly stamped in black ink inside on the neck block.

The last five numbers are very obviously "11271" -- but before the "1" is some letter/numeral that seems smudged -- it could be a "4" but I think not.

The best I can come up with is the "#" symbol -- was this often included before the FON?
    Well, of course, I'm no expert but it I were required to guess, it could be the "#" symbol or it could even be where the left end of the rubber stamp brushed on the wood.

I've only got four examples of FON's and they al seem to be a different format. The '23 TB-4 banjo is five digits, a dash and 2 more digits. I read somewhere that the five digits were the actual factory order nmber and the last two digits were the number within the batch, a batch usually having something like 25-30 units. So, from what I can tell, the five digits would come first with nothing before them.

My approximately 1947 LG-3/4 parlor guitar only has 4 digits, "1940" which I originally thought were the year but I later figured out that it was the FON, or most of it, there being no serial number. I figured out the year by knowing my family history and the era when my uncle bought it and also by the design of the logo on the headstock, which only appeared in 1947 and later.

Then there is the 1917 A-3 which I mentioned above. It seems to be missing the last digit or two of the FON. It only has five digits showing. I do have the serial number on that one and it was, indeed, made in 1917.

The '49 F-12 has a different FON format with 3 digits and then two digits with a separate serial number.

I also have a 1965 Gibson B-25-12N 12 string guitar which has only a serial number and no FON. I understand that Gibson had quit using FON's by that time.

So far, these seeming inconsistencies have not precluded my playing any of the instruments. LOL. With regard to serial numbers and FON's, it appears that Gibson is only consistent in their inconsistency!
    1917 Gibson A-3, '64 Martin A, 2016 Rhodes F5R.

Blog Entries

Zigeuner: So far, these seeming inconsistencies have not precluded my playing any of the instruments. LOL. With regard to serial numbers and FON's, it appears that Gibson is only consistent in their inconsistency!
    Thanks for the response -- your last two lines are a remarkably succinct capstone to this discussion!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.