Okay I picked this LM 600 up for $650.00 locally. I am very pleased with the quality of these mandolins. The first pic on the green couch is brand new untouched, the remainder are after I made changes and as well set it up with the strings (J75) I like.
The change in the finish is hard to see in these pics.
I used some 2000 wet/dry paper to knock down the finish than brought it back with with scothbrite and Meguiars polish. I used pc board etchant to distress the metal parts. I took the finish on the back of the neck down to the wood and then applied 7 coats of tung oil buffed to a smooth gloss between applications.
This has been a fun project for me, I've done this type of relicing or distressing to several electric guitars and have discovered as with most things in life the more you do this the better you get.
I'm sure after reading some of the threads regarding distressing mandolins that some would disagree and say that you never get better at it.
Any way here it is, please be gentle with me you know us ex Marines are very sensitive...