Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Celtic Bands of the mando

Ive been playing bluegrass and celtic folk music and some jazzy stuff and i must say that it is fun.
    However, i am without any celtic bands that have a good mandolin in them. Sure there are bands like nickle creek but they are hardly playable (and chris thile makes me feel hopeless)
    So; what celtic mandolin bands do you listen to? I was listening to the pouges and they tend to have very little mando in them, same with the cheiftians.
    anything helps
    thanks
    Nuff said

Hi Kirby,

One of my favourite melody players is Declan Corey (okay, he's also a good friend of mine so I'm biased). You can hear him on Lia Luachra's two CDs, "Lia Luachra" and "Traffic", and on "I Can Hear You Smiling" by the Josephine Marsh Band.

For exquisite song accompaniment, look for any of the Planxty albums (except maybe "Words and Music" - often gets a thumbs-down from folks here), as they feature the wonderful Andy Irvine.

Pádraig

I must repeat my recommendation for Shooglenifty not only is Luke Plumb hot but he writes great tunes as well.The Arms Dealers Daughter is one of my records of the last year

Great Big Sea, from Newfoundland, play traditional Newfoundland tunes. It'a a mix of Scottish, Irish, French, English, and more. Bob Hallett plays mandolin and Celtic bouzouki (in addition to concertina, buttona ccordion, fiddle, high and low whistles, tin whistle, bagpipes, acoustic guitar and banjo) and Alan Doyle plays bouzouki, madola and mandolin, in addition to acoustic guitar. They also write their own music, and Alan Doyle has amazing hair.
    The day is a good day if no one has poked you with a pointy stick yet.

I'm a country mouse Bobbie Dier's Avatar

The Family Mahone. I saw them at Cropredy festival. Their mandolin player kicks butt. Check them out.
    I wandered again to my home in the mountains....

The bands that always get a mention are Planxty and Shooglenifty.

From the original post, I'll assume you aren't familiar with either, so a bit of background info:
    Planxty are easily the most influential Celtic band in terms of use of mandolins and bouzoukis. They formed in Ireland in the early 70's, making a series of classic albums based around trad Irish music and Andy Irvine's interest in Bulgarian music. They have recently reformed for the second time, and have made a new live album and DVD of some of their best loved material - Planxty Live 2004, which wouldn't be a bad place to start with them. They feature 2 strong singers, Christy Moore and Irvine, and the Irish pipes of Liam O'Flynn.

Shooglenifty, from Scotland, are a much more modern sound altogether. Their original mandolin player Ian MacLeod has recently been replaced by Tasmanian Luke Plumb, but they sound as good as ever. Their first album Venus in Tweeds is a classic, but all their stuff is worth hearing. Their third one, Solar Shears, is more experimental and perhaps an acquired taste, but Venus in Tweeds, A Whisky Kiss or The Arms Dealer's Daughter are all recommended.
    David A. Gordon

pogguuuuesssss. and deffinetly plaxty, fantastic stuff.

Dagger is perhaps too modest to mention his own CDs, which are great examples of Scottish mandolin-led playing and composing - not strictly a band but not pure solo either. Get some of Dagger's or other MandoCafe posters Kevin MacLeod or Dan Beinborm CDs and you will have guaranteed mando content as well as good listening.
    And anything by Hom Bru.
    And while the technique on these CDs can be pretty amazing, it's about the tunes, not showing off so you will find plenty of stuff that you can play.
    Bren

I would add anything with Mick Maloney on it to the list.

In my decidedly inexpert view he is a great example of a very traditional approach to the instrument.
    Mitch Lawyer

Collings MF5V, Schwab #101 5 string
    1918 Gibson A, 1937 Gibson T-50 tenor guitar
    Jones OM, Hums bowlback

The Dubliners also pull out the mandolin once or twice an album; Barney McKenna has a lovely touch. In fact, I recently made up my own CD of Dubliners' mandolin stuff.

If you want to go a bit more down the rock path, then Anthony Thistlethwaite from The Waterboys played quite a bit of mandolin in their Fisherman's Blues era.

If you're after celtic tunes (as opposed to songs) played on mandolin, then I can also recommend the CDs by Kevin, Dan or Aidan (I haven't heard Dagger's as yet).

From Australia, there's Weddings Parties Anything or anything with John Munro on it (Eric Bogle or Colcannon).

Cheers,

Simon

I listen to Dagger's CD quite a bit on the train back & forth from London. I get a lot of inspiration from tenor banjo players, Seamus Egan (the Oregon one, not the one from Solas!) being my personal favorite. Track down his "In your ear" CD on Aniar records.

If your tastes are broader than Celtic, try Skip Gorman's two CDs (Old style Mandolin).. they're currently getting the most play on my iPod. Spectacular instrumental playing, all mandolin. Lovely!
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

There's also this guy called Dan Beimborn with some great mando content on his CDs; I've got Shatter the Calm, which is chock full o' tunes featuring mando family instruments. (I think this Dan guy might even hang out at MC from time to time )

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

I've been just fascinated with the Planxty DVD... Man, Andy Irvine and Donal Lunny are amazing!

I also like Andy Irvine's playing with Patrick Street, and there are ... what?... six or seven of their CDs?

stv

THE POGUES sorry I know it was already said. Flogging Molly has some good mando parts sometimes.

Also: "Paul Brady/Andy Irvine" and Brady's "Welcome Here Kind Stranger" have lots of great mando on them.

Mad Dawg:

I'm working on the new one at the moment actually. Got 3 tracks in the can on Jack's Loar (joined by Tim O'Brien on fiddle, 5-string banjo, and mandolin) from my Nashville trip about a month ago, and 3 with Craig Harbauer ("Craigtoo" here).. now working on the other half of the disk. This one'll be almost 100% mandolin, including Jack's Loar F5, Tim's Nugget, "Pokey" (the 1903 F2 I picked up on the trip), a snakehead, and my Lebeda. Can't keep 'em all sadly, but the disk falls on a nice time slice where many of them overlapped! Not sure exactly when I'll finish it, but I'm hoping to have them by summer at the latest. Thanks for your support

The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs

Formerly Know As B-MAN Bret Roberts's Avatar
    Back in Minnesota after 27 years in Europe

Hi, I'm very new to the mandolin thing but the band that got me started is a celtic typ punk band called the Dropkick Murphys. On there last few records they have a mandolin on most songs, they also have a DVD out where they use the mandolin a lot.
    Hope this helps.
    "I'm not a loser. The fact that I didn't put a gun in my mouth years ago - that little fact makes me a winner, baby. (Al Bundy)"

Thanks guys,

Personally, I'm a huge admirer of Tim O'Briens playing when he's in Celtic mode. Some very good jigs and reels on '2 Journeys'.
    David A. Gordon

I highly recommend the Irvine/Brady CD for all. When I first searched for it, I found a used copy that had an asking price of $98.00! It's widely available now at normal prices.
    BTW, Just got Shooglenifty and Kila CDs last night based on this and other threads; great suggestions.

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

Dagger sez: "Personally, I'm a huge admirer of Tim O'Briens playing when he's in Celtic mode. Some very good jigs and reels on '2 Journeys'. "

I love that CD, too, along with Tim's other 'Celtic" CD, "The Crossing". Great songs, great playing, mando and OM/zouk..!

stv

I don't think anyone's mentioned Michael Kerry yet. I'm not sure if his "The Rocky Road" is still available, but if it is, then it's definitely worth a listen. Kerry's is a very sweet, expressive style of playing. Good to hear that the man, Dan, is bringing out a new album ... his Shatter The Calm is a belter, muscular and yet very lyrical. I know few players who match Dan's mix of assertiveness and invention/innovation. Also worth wrapping your ears around are both of Kevin MacLeod's albums "Springwell" and "From Polbain To Oranmore". Finally, a new album by the members of Danu, "Up In The Air", showcases the players and singers in solo mode (hence they bill the album as being by members of Danu, rather than just Danu). There are some sterling solo OM/bouzouki tunes here.

Quote Originally Posted by
    Thanks for your support
    My pleasure Dan. Hey, are you coming back to Gryphon anytime soon? I really liked your ornamentation workshop a while back.
    Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

I might see if I can come through before Zoukfest this coming summer again.. I also would have some Mandolin Archive photography business to attend to if I did
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs

Dan,

I'll keep an eye on the Gryphon website for your workshop; it would be great to see you there again. Have you posted photos of your new F2 on the Archive yet?

As for more Celtic mando, Wake the Dead's CD's feature the mandolin playing (and no doubt arranging talent) of Paul Kotopish on every track; they're fabulous!

Keith

Sorry for the misspelling - it's Kotapish.