Thread: French Broad Mandolins

Default French Broad Mandolins

Here are some photos from a new builder in East Tennessee, Gary Watson. He asked me to record a sound file and post a few photos of his latest creation.

http://www.hangoutstorage.com/flatpi...6105122009.mp3

Gary can be contacted here, garywatson2006@comcast.net
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2035.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	48089   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2041.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	172.0 KB 
ID:	48090   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2043.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	48091  

Blog Entries

Default Re: French Broad Mandolins

Nice playing on a goood looking mandolin, Chuck. Do you have any other information to share on this particular instrument, alll scratch built, kit, woods, finish, origin of the name? Maybe Gary could post if you don't know?

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    Nice playing on a goood looking mandolin, Chuck. Do you have any other information to share on this particular instrument, alll scratch built, kit, woods, finish, origin of the name? Maybe Gary could post if you don't know?

Jamie
    Jamie,

I called Gary and he is headed this way on a locomotive from Bristol to Knoxville. Yes, he is a railroad man.

Hopefully he can get to a computer sometime this evening and respond to you questions. I know he appreciates your interest in finding out about his building processes and materials he uses.

Blog Entries

And here I thought this thread was going to be a more specific version of the Women with Mandolins thread!

Nice lookin' mando Chuck!

Daniel

[QUOTE=Daniel Nestlerode;740671]And here I thought this thread was going to be a more specific version of the Women with Mandolins thread!

I'm with Daniel! I was hoping it was a thread of a French broad and a mandolin!!
    It's still a nice mandolin!

It's a geographical feature of some variety. There's a "French Broad Outlook" on the Blue Ridge Parkway near Asheville, N.C.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

[QUOTE=Skip Kelley;740673]
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nestlerode View Post
    And here I thought this thread was going to be a more specific version of the Women with Mandolins thread!

I'm with Daniel! I was hoping it was a thread of a French broad and a mandolin!!
    It's still a nice mandolin!
    You guys. If it had been referring to women wouldn't I have written French Broads with mandolins?

BTW the French Broad River empties Western North Carolina with head waters near Brevard. As it meanders through the mountain gorges, passing the city of Asheville, it eventually converges with the Holston River near Knoxville becoming the Tennessee River.
    Last edited by Chuck Naill; Dec-05-2009 at 6:31pm. Reason: clarification

I have actually been in the French broard river. Strange how my first thought was a female!?

Blog Entries

Thanks for clearing that up Chuck. I found it hard to believe the name was about women!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

My first thought was that anyone not from the area is not going to know that this mandolin is named after a river. Here in East Tenn it a common term. I always wondered where the river got its name.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGrapePat View Post
    My first thought was that anyone not from the area is not going to know that this mandolin is named after a river. Here in East Tenn it a common term. I always wondered where the river got its name.
    From what I have read, there were two Broad rivers in North Carolina. One flowed into the French Colonies designated the French Broad and the other into the English territories simply called the Broad River.

I just thought it refered to a fat mandolin made in France... Oh well... John.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGrapePat View Post
    My first thought was that anyone not from the area is not going to know that this mandolin is named after a river. Here in East Tenn it a common term.
    Yeah, it's not a real scalable brand name, is it? I guess Blueridge was already taken!
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Yeah, it's not a real scalable brand name, is it? I guess Blueridge was already taken!
    In this area several business using French Broad as a part of their brand. There is a French Broad Brewing Company http://www.frenchbroadbrewery.com/ in Asheville.

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

I have kayaked this river many times and it passes through some beautiful country, especially around Hot Springs. However, the water quality is not very good at all, or wasn't ten years ago. This may be from Asheville, I am not sure.
    The tributaries have better water quality and better whitewater, too.
    It's a nice part of the world and I wouldn't give up the name if I were the maker.
    Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	French Broad.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	181.6 KB 
ID:	48176  

Quote Originally Posted by billhay4 View Post
    I have kayaked this river many times and it passes through some beautiful country, especially around Hot Springs. However, the water quality is not very good at all, or wasn't ten years ago. This may be from Asheville, I am not sure.
    The tributaries have better water quality and better whitewater, too.
    It's a nice part of the world and I wouldn't give up the name if I were the maker.
    Bill
    I have paddled from Walnut to Hot Springs several times back in my open boat days. It's a long paddle for a c boat.

Frank Bell was not as bad as its reputation. Those hot springs were nice to.

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post

Jamie
    Jamie,
    Thanks for your interest in my mandolins. The one Chuck did the sound bite with is my second. I found the quilted maple on ebay, the spruce came from Ted Davis. They are scratch built. I'm currently working on the third mandolin and a 5 string fiddle. As for the name, the French Broad River runs through my community in Knoxville.

Gary

I wouldn't think of swimming or boating in the French Broad river becaue of a whole bunch of water quality issues around here, but the French Broad brewery is just a few blocks from my shop- I've certainly jumped in head first there!

Gary- make sure you stop by for a visit the next time you pass through Asheville.

j.
    www.condino.com

Blog Entries

Gary, thanks for the details and Welcome to the Mandolin Café!

Jamie