Thread: NewMAD mandolin owners

Default NewMAD mandolin owners

Don't see very many of these in the classifieds, You that own one must be happy with them. Care to share what you like or dislike? [ I have one of these one my wish list]

Default Re: NewMAD mandolin owners

I like my New Millennium (MIX) mandoline because; (1) it sounds wonderful, (2) it's very sturdy, (3) it stays in tune no matter the weather or temperature, and (4) it looks beautiful.

The Case that they ship in is a loose fit, instrument shifts around inside a lot, and lacks D rings,
    as most wooden cases omit.
    like the FG Eastman better, with it's 3 D rings.
    then .. it backpack carries well, so It becomes more of the go anywhere music companion.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I really like mine for travel. I've flown with it on many business and leisure trips and even taken it on a week-long cruise using a travelite case, which makes for a very lightweight rig. Mine is an '07 and still looks "as new" because it is impervious to the normal wear issues. I'm debating whether to bring it along on an upcoming trip to Europe as a carry-on so I won't have to go 10 days without a mandolin. I wouldn't take one of my other mandolins due to the risks and rigors of such a trip. It is nice to have the option of taking the Mix without worries of exposure to weather changes or damage from handling.

I also enjoy playing it around the house. It feels very comfortable to hold due to the radiused edges and the light weight. It has deep, clear tone. Of course, it sounds different from a good wood mandolin, but the tone is very pleasing nonetheless. It responds particularly well to a light touch and has clarity at any position on the neck.

Bottom line: It certainly fills a niche with it's unique attributes and I enjoy having it as part of the "herd".
    David Moore

My F4 Mix is a delight. It is always in tune and has a wonderful action. The tone is always pleasing and can hold its own in freezing or sweltering playing situations. The instrument itself is very light and beautiful in a carbon-fiber type of way. It is always ready to play here and unchanged by varying humidity inside the house. It fits in with my other mandolins just fine. Doug in Vermont

I have an A5, serial number 5. There's lot's of previous posts about these
    and us owners' commenting on them. I'll repeat some of what I think which has not really changed since I first got it

It aint wood but it's good (it has a tone of it's own)
    Stays in tune for ever and them some
    Takes a beating
    Doesn't compress when you lay into it
    Tone does not vary that much whether you pick near the bridge or neck
    (a short coming IMHO)

I think it is the perfect mandolin for plugging in with the added benefit that it sounds great unplugged too.

And unlike a wooden mandolin my Mix sounds better when it's damp out

Hot or cold, rain or shine, damp or dry, plugged or unplugged... a Mandolin for all Seasons - my Mad Mix F4.

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

I played one at a store in Saint Louis. It had a very "C" shaped, chunky neck which I didn't like at all.

I find the neck comfortable. I dislike V-necks, they hurt my thumb.

I have an F5 s/n007. I love this mandolin for the following reasons: It is almost always in tune right out of the case, no matter what the weather. It has a great tone, although a little different than wood, but very pleasing. It has enough volume to be heard in jams. It travels well without worry of overheating or minor abuse. It is unique and always attracts attention from other players, especially after they hear it during a break.

I have been traveling in a motorhome for 5 months and it has been exposed to heat, cold, sun, humidity(both high and low), and rain. I don't have to worry about leaving it in a warm place while sightseeing like I would my Gibson. I thoroughly enjoy the Gibson, but would be very nervous putting it through the abuse it would get traveling.
    Rich

Wow! Two of the three in the classifieds either sold or got pulled. Any new proud owners out there?

Great tone. Easy to play. Cool looks. Unique style.

All in all, more mandolin than I'm worthy of, keeps me striving to come up to its level.

Doug in Montana

I've got a Mix A, #40, and its the one I leave in the stand by my desk; I don't feel compelled to put it away for safety, or keep in a humidified room. For this reason, it gets the most use. Things I'm not crazy about are 1) the neck, which is a bit thick for my taste, and 2) the tone is kind of metallic. Can anyone suggest strings that may be more mellow on this mandolin?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    I've got a Mix A, #40, and its the one I leave in the stand by my desk; I don't feel compelled to put it away for safety, or keep in a humidified room. For this reason, it gets the most use. Things I'm not crazy about are 1) the neck, which is a bit thick for my taste, and 2) the tone is kind of metallic. Can anyone suggest strings that may be more mellow on this mandolin?
    Try some GHS Silk&Steel or Silk&Bronze.

Try TI Flatwounds.

Peter said the A came out of the process a bit larger than intended ,
    so they modified the design of the mold for the F to adjust for the way the process works,
    so they have a different neck dimension, less than the A.

doubt they will invest in replacing and correcting the mold for the A.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Registered User Eliot Greenspan's Avatar

Yes, I've only played an A-style, and the neck was a bit big for my taste, otherwise an outstanding sounding/playing instrument, that would be perfect for a workhorse axe, impervious to climate/humidity changes...